Hondo's Bar

Spotify

The NZA

2501569.png

apparently, this was pretty big in the EU, and it's coming over here now, though you can still only get in with codes. (i got mine from a reddit thread). it's pretty cool, some people on another forum have done really extensive playlists (everything produced by the neptunes, or kaney, or every grammy-winning album of each genre for the last decade etc). What i'm reading is that the selection blows rhapsody/others out of the water, though some artists are still odd digital holdouts for the moment - chilli peppers, beatles, metallica etc. i havent messed with it too much past jumping on other people's playlists, but it's pretty cool so far.

it's also free, unless you want to use it on a mobile device:

330b4sy.png

taken from here

I

nfo

- Company formed in Sweden 2006, client launched shortly after that. The following years it was launched all over Europe. Now available in the US.

- Available on Mac and PC, Linux version in public beta.

- Phone app available for Android, Symbian, iOS & more.

- 1/6th of the company is owned by record labels. For example Universal Music Group, EMI Music, Warner Music Group and Sony BMG, but also smaller one's. This is mostly because to convince them to put their music in.

- The software uses OGG Vorbis for file compression. Sound quality in 160kbps (Free) and 320kbps (Payment sub.)

- Spotify is being integrated into more and more hardware. Lately both Onkyo and Logitech (Squeezebox) have been integrating it into their products.

- Keep track of the news on the official blog.

15,000,000 songs so far, still adding stuff apparently. i'm trying to find a code for sen, anyone else interested should let me know or keep an eye out!

I don't have all that much use for it but there's been times at parties and stuff where a laptop's been hooked up to speakers and grooveshark been on and people just picked and chose what they wanted and playlisted it. Bar an advertisement at the side, its pretty bulletproof. No signup needed either unless you wish to save playlists.

Grooveshark, bitches.

• 1 month later...

Spotify’s U.S. Score So Far: 1.4 Million Users, 175,000 Paying Customers

That Spotify invitation you scored may be a little less rare than you thought. The streaming music service has already signed up 1.4 million U.S. users for its free trial, according to a source familiar with the company’s operations.

At least as important: Spotify now has 175,000 paying U.S. subscribers, less than a month after it finally opened its doors in America, says the same source. Last week Billboard cited a source who pegged Spotify’s U.S. user total at “at least one million.”

That’s a conversion rate — crucial to both Spotify’s business plans and to the big music labels — of 12.5 percent. Not quite as good as the 15 percent rate that Spotify reported in its home base of Europe last spring.

On the other hand, Amercian users have less incentive to pay for Spotify than Europeans do — during the company’s six-month launch phase, the U.S. version of the free service gives users more music than the European one does. The main reason to upgrade to paid is to get access on iPhones and Android handsets, for $10 a month.

In any case, it’s still hard to gauge what the numbers mean — it’s very early, and there has been a lot of hype.

Still, for context: Spotify reports that it has 1.6 million paid subscribers in Europe. And last month Rhapsody, the biggest digital music subscription service in the U.S., said it had 800,000 paid subscribers. (Sirius XM has 21 million subscribers, but the satellite radio service isn’t an apples-to-apples analog with Spotify et al; closer to a pear.)

Meanwhile, Rdio, a U.S.-based Spotify competitor hoping to capitalize on Spotify’s wave of publicity — or at least not get drowned by it — has made an interesting move: It is going to continue marketing its service via Apple’s iTunes, while raising its prices — for customers who sign up via its mobile apps — from $10 to $15 a month in order to comply with Apple’s new subscription rules and fees.

Most other subscription services — including Spotify and Rhapsody — have gone the other route, by taking down subscription links from their Apple apps, but keeping their pricing intact.

i know access is still limited, but i'm still surprised this hasn't yet taken off on Hondo's like at other places...once you get the hang of it, you can literally setup a playlist in minutes & share it with anyone else who has it. ive got tons of great lists to share, too.

listening from youtube works, i do that plenty of times too. i dont like most playlists on there though (you like nujabes? here's some japanese metal!), but for me, i can go to a jazz thread on some forums and have someone share like 10 albums on a "dark noir" playlist that i've got access to just by clicking the link. likewise, on another hip-hop thread, guys work on playlists like everything produced by pharell, etc, so now ive got entire albums up there with b-side tracks i didn't know about.

for hondo's, it would vastly simplify the music roulette game, and i could do things like setup playlists for the hip-hop thread based on stuff i think people'd dig without having to post dozens of YT links - you just subscribe to a list, then listen at your leisure.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If you aren't using it...may I suggest you do that, and soon. It's free, although there is a paid version you can use. You can listen to the tracks on your playlist even when you're not connected to the internet. And every time you play a song, the artist gets a small royalty. Kinda neat, huh?

SO if you're using it, lemme know, so we can trade songs and playlists and such :D

• 3 weeks later...

some of you still like metallica, yes? they're on spotify now

We're beyond excited to announce that music from every single Metallica album is now streaming on Spotify! In our never ending quest for total control of the way our music is presented, we always make it a point to be sure that we are offering you the very best service by partnering with ground-breaking technology companies. So with that said, we are extremely proud to be a part of Spotify, who not only has a proven track record, but is by far the best streaming service.

Spotify was launched in Sweden in 2008 and has grown into a massive world-wide service with on-demand access to over 20 million songs. You can create and manage all your play-lists, share them with your friends and add to them by importing MP3's you already own. Now you can also take Spotify with you through their new mobile app.

We're always looking for more ways to get our music out to you, whether it's streaming live videos through our tour page on this site or offering downloads of live shows through LiveMetallica.com. Connecting with Spotify was the next logical step and we can't wait to see what the future brings!

spotify-01.jpg

and Lars' (...) playlist

iej59.jpg

• 1 year later...