Hondo's Bar

Community

Lycaon

From NBC's website:

From Dan Harmon ("The Sarah Silverman Program") and Emmy Award winners Joe and Anthony Russo ("Arrested Development") comes "Community," a smart comedy series about a band of misfits who attend Greendale Community College. At the center of the group is Jeff Winger (Joel McHale, "The Soup"), a fast-talking lawyer whose degree has been revoked. With some help from his fellow classmates, Winger forms a study group that eventually learns more about themselves than their course work.

Also among the series stars who comprise the group are comedy legend Chevy Chase ("Chuck") as Pierce, a man whose life experience has brought him infinite wisdom; Gillian Jacobs ("The Book of Daniel") as Britta, the 20-something dropout with something to prove; Yvette Nicole Brown ("Rules of Engagement") as Shirley, a sassy middle-aged divorcée; Danny Pudi ("Greek") as Abed, a pop culture junkie; Alison Brie ("Mad Men") as Annie, a high-strung perfectionist; Donald Glover ("30 Rock") as Troy, a former high school football star trying to find his way, and Ken Jeong ("The Hangover") as Señor Chang.

So I'd seen episodes here and there, and just started watching all the way through. I am really liking it so far. Anyone else a fan?

And yeah, NBC Is going to be putting it on hiatus (for an undefined period) in January to make room for the return of 30 Rock. It doesn't have great ratings, but neither did Arrested Development or Firefly. There's an online petition: http://www.save-community.com/

How was there not a thread for this already? We talk about this show all the time!!

Baytor's so right about the growth in quality. I honestly thought it peaked at the multiverse ep until I saw Pierce the gay advocate. On that note, calling it now that this season's paintball ep has to involve the evil study group. Did I mention that Megz made us all felt beards?

I looked for a thread, but couldn't find it. Haven't seen the beard episode yet, but I wonder if there could be a thing where fans send in paper/felt/whatever beards to the network. A lot of the fans I've seen elsewhere are doing their avatars with beards in protest.

^^Felt beards are a reference made by Ahbed @ the end of this season's alternate universe episode (S3E4 - Remedial Chaos Theory)

How was there not a thread for this already? We talk about this show all the time!!

I was thinking the same thing! I guess we were discussing it in TV Blargh. I dunno...

And if Megz is starting a new side bidness, put me down for a felt beard, too.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

^^Felt beards are a reference made by Ahbed @ the end of this season's alternate universe episode (S3E4 - Remedial Chaos Theory)

Way to pull an Abed.

The beards weren't a business thing, it was just for the House of Garret. I get the feeling barraging the network with the callsign of a designated bad turn of events would just serve to jinx the thing further. I say send a perfectly organised platoon of aspies/Autistics to HQ to reorganise and recatalogue everything, starting with the ridiculous network name to it's alphabetically correct BCN.

Way to pull an Abed.

You totally Brita'd the use of Abed as a verb, yo.

The beards weren't a business thing, it was just for the House of Garret. I get the feeling barraging the network with the callsign of a designated bad turn of events would just serve to jinx the thing further. I say send a perfectly organised platoon of aspies/Autistics to HQ to reorganise and recatalogue everything, starting with the ridiculous network name to it's alphabetically correct BCN.

I think Ly was making a reference to the fact the Fox show Fringe was saved from the brink of cancellation this season via a Red Vine campaign where Fringe fans mailed in packs of Red Vines to Fox studio execs.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Well that was a Zero-to-sixty moment.

I stand by my use of Abed as a verb(admitedly you weren't being very meta but your quick recall of series specifics warranted what I consider to be a compliment). And I know full well what Ly's talking about. Knowing that, go back and read my response and reply again.

Just another reason why COMMUNITY is one of the best shows on TV.

Please note that these three scenes come from different seasons. Meaning someone uttered the word "Beetlejuice" once per season on Community. And if you still aren't sure why this is awesome, please look at the window behind Annie/Alison Brie when she says the third "Beetlejuice." As Community creator Dan Harmon tweeted, ""The Easter egg that took three years to hide. Our show is TOTALLY ACCESSIBLE."

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Saw this thread for the first time this afternoon, just finished episode 20 of season 1.

Great show, can't believe I'd never heard of it till now.

And you haven't even gotten to the really great stuff yet! Put that in your "Six episode seasons make for less weak episodes" pipe and smoke it.

Ha ha, having six episode seasons doesn't guarantee a better show, but that combined with being allowed to end at the top of your game does generally give you a consistently great show. Of course the show has to be good in the first place for this to work.

Community (from what you guys are saying) seems to avoid this dip, but so many other shows haven't The Simpsons, Family Guy etc (South Park being the obvious exception, where it started shit and then got better every season) there's a reason "jumping the shark" is an American phrase.