Hondo's Bar

Animal Man & Swamp Thing

Panch

yrvbH.jpg?1

I know we have fans of the character's previous titles, but has anyone (that's not named Logan) been reading these? Great stuff. The Red, The Green, The Rot. Great, great stuff! Crossover coming (issue 12)!!!! Those of you slackin, get on it!

Thought this needed a thread for discussion so here it is :)

Edited by Thelogan
I've seen bigger

I'll take my payment in gold doubloons.

Swamp Thing isn't as good as Animal Man, but it's still pretty cool. Unlike Animal Man, it draws heavily from the mythos, Alan Moore/Rick Veitch run specifically, so you'll get a lot more out of it if you've read those (and seriously, why haven't you?)

• Upvote 1

Yep, just read issue 8 of Animal Man. Horror sums it up nicely. Definitely got that vibe at least.

Picked up the first 4 of Swamp thing also so I'll be getting to those shortly.

Been sitting on Moore's Swamp Thing for awhile Logans. Guess it's that time eh? Miracleman too. The rest of it anyway.

Also, "growing" a new body=creepy as hell.

Basically, this run of Animal Man has been taking all the characteristics of an emissary of The Green and applying it to animal life (The Red), with horrifying fucking results.

It's not that crazy when Swamp Thing hops into a lilly or a cactus and warps it into a new body.

But when you do the same thing with a fox...*shuffer*. Presumably, Maxine should be able to teleport by hopping her consciousness from animal to animal and changing it's form

Wanna take bets until she gets out of a jam by manipulating microorganisms or viruses?

• 2 weeks later...

Caught up on Swamp Thing and it is pretty damn fun so far also. You know these folks are having fun drawing this stuff in both books.

And Animal Man #9!!!

Constantine ftw! Can't wait for the Swamp Thing crossover either.

• 1 month later...

Man this stuff isn't letting up. The annual was awesome.

Questions for the veterans though!

I understand the main backstory of swamp thing.... mostly. I get that in the Moore books, Holland became Swamp Thing, but didn't just become Swamp Thing. Alec Holland died and Swamp Thing was born, receiving Holland's memories(?) Right? Ok so, (just gonna do a quick rundown before my main question) at the start of the New 52, Alec Holland is no longer Swamp Thing for some reason and is back as a human. I'm sure this is where actually reading Moore's run/later stuff comes in handy. And that is cool, I'm fine with where I started and am not too bothered with those details. What I am confused about is the whole Red/Green aspect. Swamp Thing was crerated by a science experiment gone wrong right? Not some sorta old God's saving his life magically. Were the Red and Green present back in those old books and explained, or is this New 52 stuff? Not looking for a real comprehensive answer, that's what wikipedia is for, but I don't wanna go searching. I hate asking this stuff cause it makes me feel dumb lol. I also may have totally missed this explanation too, so I plan on going back and reading it all in one go just in case, but yeah.

Other than this stuff though I'm absolutely loving these stories.

Alec Holland was never Swamp Thing before this arc. That was the first cool thing Moore did when he started his run. You seem to know the origin: lab explodes, Holland goes running into the swamp doused in burning plant serum, comes back a monster. The first pre-Moore Swamp Thing books were about him trying to find a way to regain his humanity, because there was a man underneath that foliage.

Thing is, those chemicals were designed to effect plants, so why would they mutate a person?

They didn't. Holland ran into the swamp and died, and the plants there ate his saturated corpse. The serum effected them and they absorbed his memories. So Swamp Thing learns that he was never a man, and he never will be. He's just a plant that thinks like one. He...doesn't take the news well initially.

The Green and The Rot are very much a part of the Moore run. Swamp Thing is an avatar of The Green, like many before him. He can move his consciousness through it, grow new bodies and manipulate anything it touches. They grant these abilities when they need to. In this case, they granted them to a patch of flora in the Louisiana swamp.

Holland being alive is a recent development, and I'm a little hazy on the specifics myself.

The Red must have been introduced after Morrison and Milligan's runs on Animal Man, so I didn't read it. Again, relatively recent. It makes sense though.

• 1 month later...