Hondo's Bar

Star Wars, Episode 7: The Force Awakens

Well that kinda sucks. The Making of Episode 1 on TPM DVD was a kick-ass, all-encompassing 'making- of' doc. Apparently nothing will beat those Lord of the Rings docs - but...this isn't a years-long planned epic - they're kinda winging this Trilogy, despite it being essentially shot back-to-back.

I'm still pumped. 7 more days - LOL!

Honestly, the standard edition artwork is my favorite out of all of those. On Amazon's site it shows the film poster on the actual case, so I'm guessing the title logo is a slip cover. And I think I read the Target content will be digital, so I'll just wait on those 20 minutes to show up online. ;)

Here's a guy who I guess got himself a pre-order somehow (I don't think these shots were all from trailers) and already put up a shot comparison. And it's not accurate to say JJ Abrams lifted/borrowed/payed homage to only shots, but there are also plot points and scene ideas mirrored in TFA from ANH. I know it's been debated already to what degree Episode VII is a rip-off (or re-make) of Episode IV, so I'll save comments about that. But I will say this video helped point out why TFA was so nostalgically satisfying for me on even a subconscious level.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Should it be subliminal or subconscious level? hmm...

Digital???!!! (Does a quick google search) Awww - I...fucking guess...

tumblr_nn5sy4DFIz1qdhps7o2_250.gif

I was on the fence - I like the 'standard edition', too. I like the basic slip cover - both the 'standard edition' and Walmart edition do have the movie poster as the actual case cover. Plus, I like when blu cases are of a unique color - this case is black. Looks nice. Age of Ultron was red. I like that.

Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Blu-ray-slicover-front.jpg

But those Neo Cases can be beauties, though. The exclusive content was the deciding factor to get the Target edition. (shrugs) If I could put the 'standard edition' slip cover on the Target edition - that'd be awesome.

Yeah, I've expressed how during the movie I couldn't shake the feeling of 'we've been here before'. Although disappointed they played it so safe, it's still an impressive spectacle that succeeded in getting me interested in knowing where the next steps go.

(Years of waiting...I get mere seconds w/ Luke...YAAAAARGH!!!!)

I ended up getting the 'standard edition'. After I held the Target edition and saw how...not impressive it's paper-thin-ess was - I was like, 'funk dat jazz'. I've seen TFA on blu 3 times now - (after only seeing it once at the theater) My impressions haven't changed...Ep. VIII really needs to knock it outta the park.

The feature-length making-of-doc wasn't too bad. Although it wasn't all-compassing, it did cover the Disney-sale, Chewie's stand-in and a lot of the superficial stuff. I wish it covered more on the costumes, fx and set-design - but, oh well. Y'know there's another TFA edition coming w/ the Sequel Trilogy set. (Not even a feature-commentary - wow!)

Oh, I'm sure there's gonna be a copy nailed to the shelf of every store n' gas station...

maxresdefault.jpg

...or at least until the Sequel Trilogy Special Edition Box Set. We're getting new Star Wars every year for the next 100 years - now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually started to Vault some Trilogies.

• 4 weeks later...

Disney Vault is something Disney did back in the 80s and 90s for home video. They'd only release old movies for limited runs on VHS to panic people into buying copies before it went back 'in the vault'. There used to be all these ads for the movies talking about it going back into the vault.

Pretty sure they don't pull that crap now since the home vid market has changed so much.

The Disney Vault is totally still a thing. It's always been a thing! VHS, DVD, Blu - w/ all their titles.

Snow White's debut on blu was the Diamond Edition in 2009 which eventually got Vaulted - then a few months ago, it got re-released from the Vault as part of a Signature Collection w/ sum new bonus material (totally not worth buying again, it's only like 8 minutes worth of blabbing). The Aladdin sequels have been on blu as a combo pack since January, I think - after Disney Club Members had a few months of exclusivity.

Disney totally still pulls their movies from store shelves after awhile - they always have. Snow White is the only flick I can think of that's been pulled and re-released during the blu life-cycle.

I can totally see them Vaulting Star Wars Trilogies once there are a few Disney ones done.

• 2 months later...

Meh. Googled it and apparently this guy is just reading a Huffpost piece put out w/ this exact theory back in April. Nothing in the article was really convincing. So Bindy and/or axels can tell me if this vid is basically a copy of the HuffPost piece or if the vid added anything new.

If Rey isn't somehow related to Luke then JJ Abrams is owed a Rochambeau for leading us on in TFA.

The Disney Vault is totally still a thing. It's always been a thing! VHS, DVD, Blu - w/ all their titles...

...I can totally see them Vaulting Star Wars Trilogies once there are a few Disney ones done.

With this Disney Netflix deal, and streaming/digital viewing in general, I don't think this whole "vault" gimmick is gonna last with Disney. Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 1 month later...

With this Disney Netflix deal, and streaming/digital viewing in general, I don't think this whole "vault" gimmick is gonna last with Disney.

That's pretty awesome - glad to see that Walt Disney's stuff is gonna be made available like that. The 'classic' stuff are works of art. That stuff deserves more exposure. It's culturally significant - I mean, Snow White: the world's first animated feature. Shouldn't be locked up and shown to kids on the chance their parents are into that. Nice to see it will just be - available. Nice move.

I think the Disney vault only existed to try and squeeze more sales out of older films they didn't think kids would buy. I much prefer Disney's early animated shorts like The Three Little Pigs to Snow White and the like. I just can't with rotoscoping, it is the one form of art that looks awful no matter how well done it is.

• 5 months later...