Hondo's Bar

Star Wars, Episode 7: The Force Awakens

So, should there be a spoiler thread for Force Awakens - or does not nobody wanna discuss the newly Disney-christened Star Wars?

I looked it up - it wasn't Coruscant that got blowed-ed up...but, it was the capital of the Republic. From what I understand, during every election for the new head of the Republic - a new capital planet is also elected.

I don't watch Rebels - but, you guys who watch - did anything carry over from the show? I thought the old dude from the beginning could've been a Rebels character.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

Was that Coruscant they destroyed? That planet the First Order blew up after that huge speech? Are the First Order up-and-comers or are they the established government? Felt like I had to buy a bunch of books n' such to understand the nature of the universe / hierarchy of the galaxy.

Read this

saw someone line argue that Phantom Menace was "the better movie, in every conceivable way"

like...a few minutes of fight choreography (mostly on Maul's part), and i recall thinking gunganvlle or whatever the underwater spot was looked neat going in...that's all i got

it's kinda crazy that the pod racing wasn't received better; it looks cool. it just went on way too long and nobody cared about the characters involved

for real, watch it again and picture R2 beeping along or something, it'd be a lot more fun i imagine

The Pod Race is the only scene in the entire movie where it seems like Lucas gave any fucks at all, and it's totally unnecessary and adds nothing ot the movie, but it is also the first good scene (the movie has already been on an hour at this point) and the only other standout is the 3-way lightsaber battle (the bit with the force-fields is a great character moment: Obi-Wan bounces up and down like a Rugby player ready to be called onto the field, Qui-Gon meditates, and Darth Maul paces like a tiger in a cage)

tumblr_inline_nzh962IR5j1szycm1_500.gif

Yeah, the podrace and the end fight / battle are great stand-out action sequences.

There's good stuff in TPM. For 1999, the special effects are fantastic (shame it was shot on film and the blu ray transfer looks like they opted for the 'smeared w/ vasoline' filter. Great musical score and a lot more actual models and sets used than in the next 2 sequels combined.

I can totally watch it and enjoy for what it is - but it's disappointing at the same time for not being what it 'should've / could've been.' It can honestly be painful at times, just so poorly calculated. (I'm looking at Jar Jar and the decision to cast Anakin sooo young.)

The take-away for the overall Star Wars saga was that Palpatine was elected and Obi-Wan takes Anakin under his wing - which should've been the focus-points - not superfluous fall-out of some confusing, unengaging trade-route plot.

I can't think of a stand-out action sequence in TFA that people will be talking about in 16 years.

Yeah, that was pretty cool...I think. All I remember is a bunch of loop-de-loops. LOL - I'm gonna hafta see that movie again, 'cuz honestly, I barely remember that sequence - LOL. Plus, I kinda wanna watch it again; knowing now what it is - to Maldron's point.

(sigh) Plotpoint: I read that R2 had the missing part of the map 'cuz he downloaded it when he was on the first Death Star. WTF - I don't remember any of that shit in the movie!

It'd be awesome if Disney released Star Tours on bluray. BTTF the ride went on the bluray, The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbara almost made it on the Jetsons movie DVD - putting the original Star Tours on the Force Awakens bluray or the eventual OT re-release would be killer.

• 4 weeks later...

If I'm gonna post in this thread, I need to test out how to do spoilers again...

Like this?[/s}

[spoilers] or like this?[/spoilers]

Or maybe some new arcane magic...?

New magic it is.

Oh wait, lemme try

if this works...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

what's an in-home trailer and why would I care?

I guess since Blue-Ray/DVD/Digital Download trailer is a mouthful, they came up with this "in home" term to be an all encompassing term for owning the movie in all it's home viewing forms.

You should care because deleted scenes.

Yes, well done documentaries are also a reason to care, Nemo. Ans so is glorious 1080p.

Also, this little girl in a BB-8 cosplay at Wonder-Con 2016 might be the greatest, most adorable thing ever. Look at the thumb and say I'm wrong without lying! You cannot!

IMGP9533.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Daww...
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of those extra features on the blu-ray, here is an early review of the release. Seems that mini-docs and the longer documentary included are good, but not super in-depth with no mention of story development or Ford's injury and how that effected shooting. Also, the deleted scenes are only 4 minutes, but a apparently a great cut moment of Han in the Falcon is in the documentary and not the deleted scenes section.