Hondo's Bar

Star Wars, Episode 7: The Force Awakens

I trust star wars fans to write a good star wars sequel about as much ad I trust Quentin Tarantino fans to make a good pulp fiction ripoff. What made star wars work (and what has sunk countless sequels, spinoffs, and ripoffs) is that it wasn't trying to ape itself. Lucas culled bits from sword and sorcery movies, Hollywood westerns, samurai movies, drive-in SciFi movies and combined them together into one small narrative. Star wars was not the ultimate fantasy action movie, it was the ultimate tribute and that's why it worked. Anybody at this point is just writing a tribute to star wars, cannibalizing the already borrowed material. That's why the expanded universe (all of it!) sucks, that's why the recent trilogy sucked and that's why things like the clone wars and old republic didn't, they were star wars stories second

• Upvote 1

That's why the expanded universe (all of it!) sucks, that's why the recent trilogy sucked and that's why things like the clone wars and old republic didn't, they were star wars stories second

tumblr_mjhga269yC1qa9f9oo1_400.gif

not disagreeing, just bracing for your incoming neg

speaking of, loggins i was gonna use that gif, i owe you one now[

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I've watched the trailer nearly ten times and it's got some definite nerdgasm moments, but it's off putting in several ways. First you've got the space ships flying in the desert and over lakes but not in space. All those iconic SW moments from our childhood had spaceships flying and battling in, ya know, space. So seeing that was different. Second, the way the film is shot is much more kinetic. That crazy tracking shot of the Falcon with the odd angles was not a traditional SW shot. I can only really think of one instance where anything like that was used in the previous six films--the opening battle over Coruscant in Episode III. And you've also got the inadvertent (?) but glaring Space Balls connection at the opening of the trailer.

2IuUuar.gif

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
1-2-3-4-5.

• 1 month later...

My interest in this has been bumped form about a 4 to a 6

Principal photography wrapped before the holidays, but more secrets keep spilling out of JJ Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The new year brings word that martial artist Iko Uwais, who kicked and sliced his way through Gareth Evans’ Indonesian action hits The Raid and The Raid 2, will appear in Star Wars alongside fellow Raid 2 performers Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman.

They're these guys

Give these motherfuckers a few lightsabers and let them go at it, then a ticket may be sold.

• 3 months later...