Hondo's Bar

GameCube

The NZA

Taken fromGameforms.com, fomerly TheGIA.com...

Nintendo kicks off E3 week with a price drop

» Could Link still arrive in 2002? And to save a family member?

Nintendo has announced a 25% price cut for the GameCube, firmly entering them into the brewing console price war. Starting tomorrow, the GameCube will retail at an MSRP of $149.95, restoring the 'Cube to its position as the least expensive option for console gamers.

Also included was more information about Nintendo's flagship titles for this week's expo. The first plot details for the latest Legend of Zelda were released, revealing that Link will be travelling across land and sea to save his sister. Yes, his sister.

More importantly, the release alludes to Nintendo's intent to release the latest Mario, Zelda, Metriod, and Star Fox titles "this year," contradicting recent reports that Zelda would slip to early 2003.

...and now for periphrials....

Nintendo cuts 'Cube controller cost, cords

» The industry price-dropping spree rages on.

Nintendo has moved up the release of its cordless controller, the WaveBird, and dropped the price for both it and standard GameCube controllers. Previously set to debut at $39.95, the WaveBird will now be sold for $34.95, the same price standard controllers had been sold for since launch. The WaveBird controllers can operate up to 20 feet (about 6 meters) away from the GameCube for up to 100 hours on two AA batteries, and they will now ship two weeks early on June 10th.

Nintendo is also lowering the price of the standard GameCube controller to $24.95 effective immediately, enabling gamers to grasp solid plastic things for less.

cubcubelogo.gif

• 1 year later...

For those worried about the state of Nintendo...

Gameforms

U.S. GameCube sales quadruple

» Nintendo drops price, gamers respond.

News | Monday, October 6, 2003 | Terry Dip [staff Writer]

Nintendo has reported that GameCube sales have quadrupled in the week following the console's price cut to $99.99. Roughly 61,000 GameCubes were sold in the United States this last week, while the average weekly sales over the summer were only 15,000.

"We’re already receiving requests for additional shipmentss of Nintendo GameCube systems between now and the holidays," said George Harrison, senior vice president, marketing and corporate communications, Nintendo of America

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa..i forgot bout that annual deal. Spiffy-man, whaddya think? I could get Mario Kart (comes out the 20th), you could get somethin of your own, and we coudl pre-buy Metal Gear: Twin Snakes (i think pre-buys count, right?)...lemme know man, thatd be cool.

• 1 month later...

Gamecube price drop paid off, big time....

Nintendo gives thanks for holiday hardware sales

» Thanksgiving week numbers fueled by Gamecube price cut

News | Thursday, December 4, 2003 | Ed McGlothlin [Contributing Editor]

The September 25 price cut for Nintendo's Gamecube drove the console to record sales during Thanksgiving week according to recent numbers from the company. The system sold a half-million units that week, leading all home consoles and trailing only Nintendo's own Gameboy Advance, which sold 600,000. The direct sale numbers are a vast improvement on what had been a lackluster year.

"We're tracking to sell more systems in the last eight weeks of the year than we did in the previous 10 months combined," said George Harrison, senior VP at Nintendo of America. The company also credited the pre-Thanksgiving release of Mario Kart: Double Dash for the improved numbers.

Sooo happy! :D

• 3 years later...

So yeah, i haven't previously owned a nintendo console, not since the SNES anyway.

I didn't have an N64 cos i had a PS1, and then a PS2, so never got a gamecube.

Calling all you guys out there that i'm sure have had Gamecube... can you recommend some games i should pick up for my wii?

I was looking at mario kart double dash,

Any other recommendations, cos i could more than likely pick the games up cheap enough on ebay or in a shop i know of in dublin.

Gamecube exclusive games? Hmmm. Try the great Metroid Prime series. Paper Mario. Pikmin if you like puzzle games. Twin Snakes, the cube remake of Metal Gear Solid was great. Resident Evil 4. Also the cube exclusive remake of the first Resident Evil (Resident Evil 0 can probably be skipped). LoZ: Wind Waker. Eternal Darkness. Super Smash Bros Melee. Star Fox Adventures.

Gamecube exclusive games? Hmmm. Try the great Metroid Prime series. Paper Mario. Pikmin if you like puzzle games. Twin Snakes, the cube remake of Metal Gear Solid was great. Resident Evil 4. Also the cube exclusive remake of the first Resident Evil (Resident Evil 0 can probably be skipped). LoZ: Wind Waker. Eternal Darkness. Super Smash Bros Melee. Star Fox Adventures.

Ditto (SB has awesome games :ohface: ) but i never played Star Fox Adventures. Monkey Ball aint bad for a few bucks if you gots friends over, but Bomberman is the best for that, outside of what he listed there.

Best part is, you can find most for cheap, Twin Snakes aside.

Jax: if you wanna have a get together with Wario Ware and alla that in the coming weeks, lemme know.

• 5 years later...

...so as an early birthday gift, Sen got me a rare component cable for my GC :love:

of course i tried Wind Waker first - naturally it's not as sharp as emulating in dolphin, but it looks gorgeous on my plasma & sounds great on my system too...plus having all my saves & wavebird really brings it together.

she'd picked me up Viewtfiful Joe (always meant to play that one myself) for christmas, so that was my very next game. so happy to have my GC collection running in 480p!

ebay, one of the only spots i can find them on, and you gotta wait to catch em for sub $100 these days.

JZA - it's particularly weird because the GC wasn't built with a component chip on board (prolly part of the push to keep it selling at profit launching at $200), the chip itself is in the larger front end of the cable, and not only did they only make so many of them, only the earlier model GC's have the port for it. it's crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

ebay, one of the only spots i can find them on, and you gotta wait to catch em for sub $100 these days.

JZA - it's particularly weird because the GC wasn't built with a component chip on board (prolly part of the push to keep it selling at profit launching at $200), the chip itself is in the larger front end of the cable, and not only did they only make so many of them, only the earlier model GC's have the port for it. it's crazy.

Well nobody else is gonna be that guy so I'll just go ahead. Why go to all this trouble when all the games play perfectly fine on the Wii? You can even use the same controller. Is there an advantage to playing them on the Gamecube?