Hondo's Bar

Hondo's goes indie long after it's cool aka DEATH OF HONDOS

Panch

You know it isn't.

Worst case scenario, I'll cobble the backed up threads into 400,000 hotlinked Geocities sites.

I haven't had a chance to discuss this with NZA at all, so take any information I have with that in mind. i.e. - it is likely completely wrong.

They're going to force us to use there current, or something close to their current, message board setup. It will no doubt look different, and there's definitely going to be a few bumps in the road as far as configuration at first.

Skins are significantly simpler to make in the later versions, so some of our artistically inclined may even be able to pitch in on that front.

Shoutbox is almost definitely gone.

If he wants to use it, there's a cool little scrolling sidebar thing that can have recent blog updates (ha) and new content.

At the end of the day, it will be a better Hondo's. That day might be really long and shitty though. And there's going to be a lot of tedious bullshit on NZA's end to get it that way.

I started writing this before you replied.

wow; yeah logans pretty much covered it...because our license is tied to their support, we're no longer allowed to keep really out-of-date versions of the software, and the end date on this one was apparently november. i was trying to wait for the next major revision to justify the effort, as the baby ones tend to mildly break a few things i don't catch until later and offer little in return.

few bits:

Shoutbox is almost definitely gone.

If he wants to use it, there's a cool little scrolling sidebar thing that can have recent blog updates (ha) and new content.

i'd be pretty surprised if there's not a current version of the shoutbox, and if we've slid this long they don't seem to be paying much attention anyway...illl keep that as long as we can since it's clearly better/preferable. also, there's a feature to let people know about blog updates? yeah, i'll be all over that, there's at least one plus so far!

oh, yeah - i mean for one, the company that makes the board's software (invision), they obviously use the current form, and i'm a member there so i always check to see how things are looking...but it's stock/vanilla so it's only so much of an indicator for how this place'll look, since again there's a # of mods that at this point are pretty much essential around here.

ill report back when i actually look stuff up & see what other small features we might be getting too!

Ok, hold on...is this the metaphorical death of Hondo's as we see it or is everyone just kinda shrugging and saying 'fuck it', cause no one wants to update? Cause uh...I can appreciate the principle behind the former while the latter just seems...silly. I mean, no one likes upgrades. It's like moving. You know its supposed to be nicer, but goddamn you gotta get all your shit settled again. But upgrades, like moving are sometimes necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

well,l i dragged my feet a bit, but the clock is tickin' - we upgrade or get shut down on the 20th, no more warnings.

having a bitch of a time finding mods/skins for free, my main resource is gone and other ones want microtransactions ($5-10 for some dudes reskinning other people's work...). again, for $150 we could buy the license & go to another host, i'm trying to find us good alternatives at the moment, ideally ones who offer:

• 24 hour tech support (at least for emergencies like downtime/hacking etc)
  • Automatic backups, ideally every 24-48 hours (i think invision keeps up to a week as well, which is nice)
  • Stability - we don't usually run more than say 10-15 active members tops (double that with search engine bots/etc) but i definitely don't want anything that'd struggle with such low #'s
  • More space would be nice, it'd be cool to have room for uploading images/etc

after the purge of '04 i'm admittedly wary of shopping around, but part of me is thinking it might be a better idea than running into this problem a few times a year between upgrades. if any of you know of/can look up good hosting alternatives, lemme know & i'll check em out as well.

fuck it, we'll do it live! start from scratch...god knows a handful of you in '04 were ready for it anyway

fuck it, we'll do it live! start from scratch.

start from scratch

from scratch.

scratch..

Udklyf8.gif

• Upvote 1

So what are our options?

If you do go through with the invision update, we'll lose some/most/all of our mods and our skins, but we'll keep all our posts.

or

We can move somewhere else and lose all our posts.

Are those the two options? I'd definitely choose option one if that's the case.

Re new skins, my summer is free, I'm totally up for diving into those.

Edited by alive she cried