Hondo's Bar

Hondo's goes indie long after it's cool aka DEATH OF HONDOS

Panch

So what are our options?

If you do go through with the invision update, we'll lose some/most/all of our mods and our skins, but we'll keep all our posts.

or

We can move somewhere else and lose all our posts.

Are those the two options? I'd definitely choose option one if that's the case.

Re new skins, my summer is free, I'm totally up for diving into those.

ah, maybe i wasn't clear - we don't lose posts if we move somewhere. i'd shut this place down, take the most current update with me & try to make it work elsewhere - as long as said host supports the framework of this joint, that part should be easier than it sounds. i'm admittedly just gunshy because our last non-invision server didn't let me take manual backups & lied about the ones they had, so we lost a lotta stuff...at least that won't be the case here.

the good news would be that we could likely have more space (loggins' kindly imgur solution has taken care of much of that, but we could use it for other stuff to host if we wanted) and pay less rent each month, which would of course be great by me, assuming we were happy with the speed/access there.

we'd lose the chat (no one cares cause the shoutbox >>), gallery (this is why i didn't wanna do much with em, plus we have no space right now) and blogs (which would suck but i'd do what i could to back em up for us). also, there'd be an upfront cost of $150 for the license, but it's thankfully a one-time fee.

to be honest, the more i think about it, the more i'm leaning in this direction - invision was great to us for over a decade now but they've been charging more & giving less, i had to fight quite a bit just to keep the 1 GB of space we operate on. The precedent of being told we could be shut down at any time for not updating to a security patch they fancy - or even running the shoutbox, which was a threat at one point that they thankfully let go of - kinda has me thinking it might be time.

This week i'm gonna look into alternatives, i'm already asking around about hosting options but again if any of you come across any lemme know, it'd be most helpful. Unless one of you has a better idea, i think i'm gonna use our remaining time getting ready for this possibility, and likely offer a strongly-worded letter to our current host just to see what comes of it.

Oh, I see how it is, messaging me just before the collection plate starts being passed around. I.. I thought you actually missed me, but no... you just wanted another wallet at the keyboard!

Damn you, Nick! You can't just play with hearts like that!

Last time I made campaign contributions, I was promised 4 subforums and a nude Alan Moore themed skin for the comics forum, in addition to my modship.

So you're not getting your cock grabbers on any more of my money until you come through on debts owed.

UPDATE: actively searching for other hosts, found a few options that had good space/price but the first one to respond said the shoutbox was a no-go, i'm not sure if others will say the same but i'm looking for one that allows it. i get why it hogs space on a shared server, but we're not a large site so that tells me i should find something more accommodating of our needs.

either way, Thursday is our cutoff date, so expect some downtime by then. i'm off that day but have some things that need doing, should hopefully have this sorted by the weekend. I just ran a backup tonight, will probably run one more before migrating, but uh...don't say too much important stuff this week i guess, heh.

and yeah, we'll soon be taking donations to help the $150 licensing fee - again the good news is the monthly expenses after that should go down, if any of these options work we'll be running at least 33% less expensive so that'll help.

update: wrote a strongly-worded letter to invision, basically heard back "sorry to see you go." they pretty clearly want to handle larger corporate boards now...came a long way since breaking off from ikonboard & being free for smaller communities, heh. I'm going to initiate the license transfer tonight/tomorrow, and gave them the OK to shut us down thursday. I already heard back from one server (semi-dedicated, with tons of space & doesn't seem to care about shoutboxes/etc!), so I'm also following up with that tonight.

much love to FDBaytor, ASC & Senshik for early donations, we're nearly halfway to our goal already! you guys are the best. more to come.

Update: in the interest of full transparency, here's the details -

We're looking to go with Host4Geeks, if you google their name & reviews i'm seeing nothing but high marks. also, click that link if you're interested in the specs, it's quite sexy:

• 50 GB of space (we currently have/struggle with 1.5 GB)
  • 1 TB of bandwidth (our current one isn't showing, but we've gone over in the past)
  • the 50 concurrent connections isn't how it reads, has to do with language/etc - only people who go over there are massive forums requiring dedicated servers, i'm told
  • on downtime: "We offer a 99.9% uptime guarantee on all our servers. We have had 100% uptime for the last 6+ months the only recent outage was a couple of minutes when our external DNS servers had a network issue but was resolved quickly."

for $15/month, half of what we currently pay. they keep frequent backups, and again, don't seem to rightly care what we do with our board. my experiences so far with both their sales & tech support have been great - they're prepared to handle the migration on their end, which is hard for me to turn down with all the prep stuff i've been prepping for.

now the other news: i didn't stay current with IPB licensing fees - here they are.

it's $175 to go independent, which isn't that much more than the $150 it was prior...but i failed to notice the $25 "renewal" fee every 6 months for their software. so, the math goes like this:

• current = $30/mo X 12 = 360 annual
  • new = $15/mo X 12 + $50/year = 230 annual

...so yeah, a lotta up-front costs, but after that, we're looking at $130 less a year, which i think looks great, even before you consider all the pluses we get from this - more space than we know what to do with, good stability & possible increase in speed, and best yet, full autonomy to keep the board however we please.

barring any downsides i'm missing (there's always something), everything's coming up milhouse. I'm initiating the license purchase soon - possibly tomorrow night - and the transfer immediately after, to minimize downtime. the next few weeks are kinda busy for me, but if all goes well, expect some celebrations, by way of me trying again to finally get a proper skin for sports (...) and fulfilling an old request on here.

now if you'll excuse me, i gotta go logon to our twitter & begin the e-panhandling, haha. Donate here!

Edited by The NZA
goddammit bindys