Hondo's Bar

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2

• 1 month later...

James Gunn announces that he will write/direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3

But the question that comes up perhaps the most is, “What’s the deal with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and are you going to direct?”

Before I was able to honestly answer this, I needed to know it was, in my heart, what I truly felt called to do. There is a history in Hollywood of haphazard endings to trilogies, and I didn’t want to become a part of that dishonorable tradition of pretending the third one doesn’t exist. I couldn’t do it for the money, and I couldn’t do it because it was what other people wanted me to do. I needed to do it because it was what I needed to do. I have never made choices in my career based on anything other than passion and love for the stories and characters, and I didn’t want to start now.

So, after many months of ruminations and discussions, I know the answer. I could save this answer for the first, random interviewer to ask me during the press junket but instead I thought I’d share it with the most important people in the Guardiansverse – you, the fans, who have been so incredibly supportive and enthusiastic over the past five years, it has moved me to tears on a regular basis.

So, yes, I’m returning to write and direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

It's pretty public knowledge that Dark Knight Rises was only made because the studio let him make Inception if he promised to do it, and you need only look at the laundry list of inconsistencies and the lazy third act to see that Christopher Nolan wasn't really all that interested in making that movie.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Everything except Venom felt like a pitch-perfect representation of the the 1960s Amazing Spider-Man comics with Raimi's sensibilities layered on top, so I'm going to say he had to shoehorn in one character. Hell, even Eddie Brock himself felt like he was in place with the movie I think the studio was just too eager to get Venom in a movie that didn't really have room for him.

• 3 weeks later...

I really loved it. Honestly think it was better than the first one. If the first felt like a one shot intro comic this one feels like the first TPB in a long running series. Great twists and one of the best action scenes Ive ever scene.

Involving Yondu and Rocket

Drax gets all the best lines yet again. My biggest complaint would be that I think that the music should have been more varied like the first one. Still a great soundtrack, but I would love to hear more variety. It started to sound kind of samey.

Great 3D experience. Solid Stan Lee cameo plus an end credit scene (there are five, yes five, credit scenes). Speaking of which, maybe the most entertaining credits in a film ever.

There were a lot of great moments in this film, especially character moments, but I have to slightly disagree with axles in that I think the first film was a better overall, cohesive story. I rewatched GOTG a day before I saw vol.2 and it is masterful. There's no way volume two would have worked at all without volume one, and that's exactly what a good film series should do. Also, they set up Star-Lord to be a major player in Infinity War. (I'm so hyped for that film.)

I was a bit surprised there was no direct tie-in to Thor 3 even in post credits or appearance by Thanos. You could see Jeff Goldblum's Thor3 character in the "dancing dots" during the credits. So obviously he was there in full costume, but they never shot a scene with him? Makes me think they probably shot a cameo with him and cut it. Or did I just miss him in the background somewhere? Maybe during the space gate jump sequence? Hmm. That'd probably be it.

Also, was Stallone's group of Ravagers somehow significant from the comic books? Their post credit scene seemed to indicate they were worthy of a special teaser for their return, possibly in volume three. Heist movie maybe?

Adam motherfucking Warlock coming soon to an Infinity War near you!

I was a bit surprised there was no direct tie-in to Thor 3 even in post credits or appearance by Thanos. You could see Jeff Goldblum's Thor3 character in the "dancing dots" during the credits. So obviously he was there in full costume, but they never shot a scene with him? Makes me think they probably shot a cameo with him and cut it. Or did I just miss him in the background somewhere? Maybe during the space gate jump sequence? Hmm. That'd probably be it.

Also, was Stallone's group of Ravagers somehow significant from the comic books? Their post credit scene seemed to indicate they were worthy of a special teaser for their return, possibly in volume three. Heist movie maybe?

Adam motherfucking Warlock coming soon to an Infinity War near you!

They were suppose to be the first and second incarnation of the Guardians of the Galaxy team as was first shown in the comics back in the 70's. Interestingly Yondu was a founding member of the Guardians in the comics and was the only returning member for the second iteration. Consult your local Wikipedia for more information.

They were suppose to be the first and second incarnation of the Guardians of the Galaxy team as was first shown in the comics back in the 70's. Interestingly Yondu was a founding member of the Guardians in the comics and was the only returning member for the second iteration. Consult your local Wikipedia for more information.

Ah. Hardcore GotG fans must've been quite pleased with that.

Personally, the film version was the first iteration of the group I think I came across. I remember prior to the first film I was confusing GotG with Starjammers and I thought for a hot second Star Lord was Corsair. �� /shame emoji

Also, I just read online that Kevin Feige, MCU head honcho, revealed that Adam Warlock will not be in Avengers: Infinity War. WTF? How the hell are they going to defeat the Mad Titan without Adam Warlock? I guess Spidey is going to snatch the gauntlet from Thanos' hand like he did Cap's shield and then toss it over to Thor or star lord. :/

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

NZA and I caught this over the weekend! We went to this awesome theater with assigned seats and Panch ended up in the same theater, in the seats right next to us! So we ended up having a really fun night. smile.png I loved the movie. I felt the first half took a bit to find its bearings. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be caring about, and then it came pretty much out of nowhere.

I suppose we saw a little build up of Yondu throughout the movie but him becoming this father figure and us needing to care so much when he died seemed a little forced. Michael Rooker's performance really saves it. I know he and James Gunn are besties in real life. I'm wondering if Gunn wrote that storyline to benefit his friend. It just seemed a little out of left field for me. I mean, it's been a bit since I saw part one, was he built up as Quill's surrogate dad that much? I don't remember getting that feeling about their relationship.

I thought this one was funnier than the first. Drax was KILLING me with the one liners. Some people complained it was trying too hard with the humor but I felt it needed to be funnier since it was FAR more emotional than part one. And none of the jokes fell flat. The theme of family could've felt heavy-handed here but I thought it worked. Every character dealt with the theme in their own way. It was very interesting.

So excited to see what else James Gunn does. He's my new Whedon.

Edited by Donatella

So I'm going to make this weird for a second.

Fun fact, I barely knew my biological father. Only met him a handful of times, and one time later in life he didn't even recognize me when I was standing right in front of him. Apparently dude was super talented, an award winning corvette artist and even played with Santana a lot but also had some pretty harsh inner demons before he died.

To me, my dad was always my dad growing up. There's even some fun stories about why I have two different birth certificates with different names on them.

When that scene hit, with Yondo, and he's like - he may have been your father, but I've always been your dad: That shit hit me where it hurt. I actually used to say/was told the same thing by my dad. It's a line that was supposed to connect the audience to the moment, but to me it was more like being Peter Quill.

So yeah, I loved the movie overall but god damn movie. Pull at some heartstrings.

• Upvote 3

So I'm going to make this weird for a second.

Fun fact, I barely knew my biological father. Only met him a handful of times, and one time later in life he didn't even recognize me when I was standing right in front of him. Apparently dude was super talented, an award winning corvette artist and even played with Santana a lot but also had some pretty harsh inner demons before he died.

To me, my dad was always my dad growing up. There's even some fun stories about why I have two different birth certificates with different names on them.

When that scene hit, with Yondo, and he's like - he may have been your father, but I've always been your dad: That shit hit me where it hurt. I actually used to say/was told the same thing by my dad. It's a line that was supposed to connect the audience to the moment, but to me it was more like being Peter Quill.

So yeah, I loved the movie overall but god damn movie. Pull at some heartstrings.

That is truly awesome. Stories like yours are why cinema is still my favorite form of storytelling and a big part of why I love going to the theater. This group of strangers gets together to be entertained and have this communal experience yet at the same time there are very intimate, individual connections (like yours) being simultaneously made. Thanks for sharing, Bindy.

I thought this one was funnier than the first. Drax was KILLING me with the one liners. Some people complained it was trying too hard with the humor but I felt it needed to be funnier since it was FAR more emotional than part one. And none of the jokes fell flat. The theme of family could've felt heavy-handed here but I thought it worked. Every character dealt with the theme in their own way. It was very interesting.

So excited to see what else James Gunn does. He's my new Whedon.

agreed on all points - Drax stole the show sometimes, and yeah, levity really helped the darker/more emotional tone here. i really enjoyed kurt russell as ego, too.

and yeah, Gunn is killing it with ensemble cast stuff, which can't be easy.