Hondo's Bar

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2

Huh. Aesthetically, it's not my favorite piece depicting the GotG. I like mini-Groot but the new costume for Quill is meh. I don't dig the design on the backpack w/ chestplate. I'm guessing this will roll out like his mask and give him a suit of armor, maybe?

This article also mentions a tiny spoiler about mini-Groot, who will be more energetic and rowdy in this film. I'm not too sure how I feel about that. A big part of Groot's charm is he is not only so different from Rocket Raccoon in size, but also in temperament. Not having that quiet, stoic strength there will change the energy and dynamic of the group.

It seems to hint, not confirm, that this isn't the same Groot, but possibly a new Groot grown from the seed of Groot from GotG vol1.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
link

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of cool stuff came out of SDCC 2016 for GotG v2. First of which being a new logo.

GotgV2.jpeg?1469325473

Second, we now have a more true to the grandeur of his comic book appearance, head fin for Yondu.

CoddF84WYAEpipM.jpg

Marvel-SDCC-Ravagers-Cast-31.jpg

And finally, the biggest reveal is we finally know who Kurt Russel's character is in the film! Spoilered just in case some silly person doesn't want to know.

Sorry, Baytor, but EGO The Living Planet will not be played by Dinklage. Ego is played by Kurt Russell! Who is also Starlord's papa. Yup.

Kurt Russell = Ego TLP = Peter Quill's Dad. Oh, dis gon' be good.

Click the link above for more details revealed in the panel, too.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Maybe Dinklage can be Galactus?

13680797_10153502453256157_7629086107247452396_n.jpg?oh=77e28dcf017730cf7628a7d1df2e4f1d&oe=58345A66

I love Kurt Russel's dad smile.

Also here's James Gunn himself giving an explanation that shouldn't be needed on why Star Lord's dad isn't a spoiler

WHY THE IDENTITY OF STAR-LORD'S FATHER ISN'T A SPOILER.

Don't read any further if you don't want to know who he is.

Also you might want to stay off the internet until May and definitely unfollow me and don't watch our trailers or other ads...

Anyway, people have been particularly excited, confused, and supportive of keeping Marvel Cosmic truly cosmic with the reveal of Peter Quill's father's identity. However, there have been a minority of folks who have questioned, and even been angry, that I and Marvel would reveal something so major months before the film comes out.

I get it. If we lived in a perfect world, I wouldn't tell you ANYTHING before you walked in to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I wouldn't tell you Groot was now Baby Groot, I wouldn't tell you Mantis was in the movie, I wouldn't say that Ayesha and Taserface are our antagonists, that Yondu and Nebula have incredibly important roles in the film, nor would I tell you that Quill's father is Ego the Living Planet.

However, the world is imperfect.

Firstly, we have to advertise our film. And it will be impossible to show you very much of Vol. 2 since Ego is very much a part of all of it. We just don't have a way around it.

Secondly, there are journalists online who love giving you scoops about characters and plot twists in upcoming films. Ego is such a big part of the movie, this was going to come out soon, as much as we've tried to hide it (when our online press day happened on set, Kurt Russell sat in a chair that read "J'son," and all of our script pages and artwork featuring him used the same name). Frankly, I would rather be in control of the announcement myself than have it come out on SpoilersRUs.com in a few weeks.

That said, knowing who Quill's father is will not diminish your enjoyment of the film in any way. The story is not built to be a shocking twist in the same way Luke's father was Darth, Soylent Green was people, Rosebud was a sled, or that that pretty woman from Crying Game had a penis (I guess I should have said spoilers before all that). Ego the emotional center of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 from the beginning to the end, and is not a twist.

And believe me - there are many, many more surprises we still have in store for you from Vol. 2 - hopefully the biggest of which is how much you'll love the movie itself. Because, to me, that's the only twist that matters.

james

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not that I needed a reason, but the fact that they used one of my very favorite 70s rock songs (I seriously went through a period of about 3 months where I just listened to Fox on Run on repeat in my late teens) in the trailer really cements this as a movie I'm very excited for.

(Trailer #2, aka You had me at trailer #1 but thanks for this awesomeness anyway, James Gunn.)

Day fucking one.

So say we all.

Even Nemo apparently is in agreement, but I'm like 90% sure he will really just wait a week or so until "crowds die down," possibly see a weekday showing after opening weekend. And that's okay, too. :)

#thestruggleisreal

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 months later...

That would be a winning move, make the audience feel like dicks... I'd love for that to happen, get all those parenting groups all worked up for traumatizing small children... who shouldn't have been seeing it in the first place; Awesome! Morality meta-lessons all around!

• 3 weeks later...

I hate that they showed the moment where Russel reveals Pete's heritage - but at the same time, they've been kinda laying their cards out on the table w/ Ego / Peter's dad...but damn...leave that moment for the movie. Maybe a few frames of Ego...? Ah dunno...

The music was used so well in the first one - who doesn't love a good movie soundtrack (Forrest Gump)? I hope they don't double-down and it becomes a distraction. Also, where the hell is Peter getting 'hip' new T-Shirts?!