Hondo's Bar

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2

See, I feel that this film had the tighter plot. It was straightforward and simplistic, which I appreciated. Too many movies today have convoluted, ridiculous plots that just piss me off. I don't go in for such busyness. Just give me a linear story and I'm happy. Though, I agree with Donatella, it did take a bit there in the beginning to get where it was going. Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of it. The opening scene was pure fucking magic, the humor was sharp, and the emotional bits well placed. Actually, the more I contemplate it, the more I like it.

• 2 months later...

I finally got to see GotG2 -

Eh. Tried too hard to be funny. I thought the first one was waaay better. I laughed once: "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" Music was kewl - but...from the opening credits - I could just tell 'this is gonna be a comedy first' and not very 'risky'. Same w/ AoU - just bigger and louder, wish it had a bit more goin' on.

It felt really...shallow. Just doubled-down on what I think 'general audiences' liked about the first one. Nothing...special / magical about this one. I would've liked a more interesting story / plot / characters w/ more interesting stakes than...the universe is gonna be destroyed. Kay. Luckily, all the heroes are around to press the 'save the universe' button.

The first GoTG had grand / epic stuff goin' on in the background - (Thanos / the Kree / Nova Corp / Infinity Stones)...this was the follow-up? 10 min. of 'Ravager' stuff...that supposed to deliver some sort of grand pay-off to end-cap the movie? Huh?! Yandu's story needed a lot more TLC - big potential there (Ravager stuff)...felt like a lot got cut out.

Gamora and Nebula suddenly don't have it in 'em to kill each other? Kay? Yandu actually gave a hoot about Star-Lord. I already knew that. Star-Lord's dad is a psycho-god. Whoa! Oh, wait...just 'shoot a torpedo into the exhaust port' to stop him. Eh.

Maybe it's impossible to top the first one - but, I think not. Yeah, just felt really safe n' shallow. Looking forward to Vol. 3. Hope it has a bit more of that 'stardust' that made the first one so awesome. Really disappointing follow-up - but not a bad flick. I'd recommend to fans of the first one...it's just not as good.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

I finally got to see GotG2 -

Eh. Tried too hard to be funny. I thought the first one was waaay better. I laughed once: "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" Music was kewl - but...from the opening credits - I could just tell 'this is gonna be a comedy first' and not very 'risky'. Same w/ AoU - just bigger and louder, wish it had a bit more goin' on.

It felt really...shallow. Just doubled-down on what I think 'general audiences' liked about the first one. Nothing...special / magical about this one. I would've liked a more interesting story / plot / characters w/ more interesting stakes than...the universe is gonna be destroyed. Kay. Luckily, all the heroes are around to press the 'save the universe' button.

The first GoTG had grand / epic stuff goin' on in the background - (Thanos / the Kree / Nova Corp / Infinity Stones)...this was the follow-up? 10 min. of 'Ravager' stuff...that supposed to deliver some sort of grand pay-off to end-cap the movie? Huh?! Yandu's story needed a lot more TLC - big potential there (Ravager stuff)...felt like a lot got cut out.

Gamora and Nebula suddenly don't have it in 'em to kill each other? Kay? Yandu actually gave a hoot about Star-Lord. I already knew that. Star-Lord's dad is a psycho-god. Whoa! Oh, wait...just 'shoot a torpedo into the exhaust port' to stop him. Eh.

Maybe it's impossible to top the first one - but, I think not. Yeah, just felt really safe n' shallow. Looking forward to Vol. 3. Hope it has a bit more of that 'stardust' that made the first one so awesome. Really disappointing follow-up - but not a bad flick. I'd recommend to fans of the first one...it's just not as good.

There was some subtext, especially with Kraglin of all characters. His haunted look while apologizing to Yondu and just the way he said 'They killed all my friends' and the way he was flipping out over the rest of the Ravagers showing up for the funeral, because he knew the whole meaning behind their gesture and how it meant that they had forgiven and accepted Yondu in the end. Also the sibling dynamic between Gamora and Nebula wasn't that much of a stretch, Nebula mostly wanted understanding from her sister over their shared suffering and admission that she got the worst of it over Gamora; even in the first film her fight was always with Thanos and she just wanted to hurt him by hurting 'his favorite.' But, yeah, it was mostly by the numbers movie and the music wasn't as good as the first one.

Yeah - the Gamora / Nebula thing made sense...but it just - 'happened'. LOL - y'know? "I can't kill you." "I can't kill you, either." "Best-ies?!" I understand Gamora being quick to save her sister (she never did really wanna kill her)...but having Nebula really wrestle w/ letting go of a lifetime of hater-ade - would've made her character and her 'turn' more believable / compelling.

Yeah - the music wasn't all there in this one. Where was 'Fox on the Run' - from the trailer?! LOL - awww. The music in the first one was Peter's connection to his mom. Not only great killer tunes - (which I think the track selection was a huge component in the first flick's success) but you could imagine Peter listening to these songs endlessly over the years "w/ his mother". Everybody requesting Peter's tunes to play over the loudspeaker...for action scenes / the audience. Ugh. Yondu giving him 300 songs...why do I smell Will Smith tunes popping up in Vol. 3?

That Ravager ending / Yondu's funeral / sacrifice was a great idea - I dug it...just wish it were given a more effective set-up. I wasn't surprised Yondu did that in the end - I always had the sense that he was a 'good guy' deep down and cared for Peter. I just wish they touched more on Yondu been ex-communicated and the effects it had on him - and the Ravager community itself. Yondu was apparently some hot shit for them all to show up to give him a farewell...they (Ravagers and Yondu) were all effected by the split. Could've been a killer meaty-subplot. What a waste of Stallone.

I kept having to explain to my wife during the first film of why Yondu was acting the way he was towards Quill; it's because Yondu is not just a father figure to Peter but that Yondu actually loves him like a son; however, being a pirate jackass with a crew of assholes to keep in line he had to act the douche, but was always looking for any excuse to let Quill off the hook and still let him save face to his men. And he clearly felt pride at how Peter kept getting one over on him. And that was just in the first film. Second one Kraglin (again) was the one to make the ham-fisted observation on how Yondu was always bending over backwards to protect Quill in ways that Kraglin felt Yondu would never do for any of the rest of his crew... thus started the mutiny. But, yeah, they could have done a little bit more to shore up the pain and shame Yondu felt for the other children he delivered to death by Ego and his subsequent expulsion from the greater Ravager horde... instead we get a very subtle heart-to-heart with the Trash Panda over vague feelings.

Edited by Drifter

They're all done by pedantic chucklefucks who aren't good at criticism or comedy. I realize they're just a goof and the makers often enjoy the movies far more than the videos let on but they're like a comments section in video form and people treat these things like real reviews. They are a big part of what has poisoned the well of pop culture criticism and they started out innocent enough and I'll even cop to laughing here and there but these videos are up there with aggregate review sites (Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic), novelty critics (Film Crit Hulk), and Devin Faraci on the list of things I despise that have ruined pop culture fandom.

• 6 months later...