Hondo's Bar

Coldplay

The NZA

Dont know if this one's been discussed yet - does anyone know about this band, its album, etc?

Only heard a few songs, but "In my place" was good, and I've been playing "Clocks" like its the thing to do - fuckin cool song.

Just wondering if anyone knew of other singles by these guys, or if the rest of the album stands up.

Yeah, Yellow was thing big thing off their first CD. Trouble is also pretty cool. The Scientist is their brand new single. Not bad, not as catchy as In My Place, but it has a cooler video. Coldplay don't ONLY mellow songs. They don't have any rockers. It's not like the bands that are basically all about rocking hard but have one slower, less intense song and that becomes their hit single. Anything you here of Coldplay is pretty much representive of their entire body of work. On the one hand, that bothers me, because I love hard rocking songs and can't stand that much mellowness, but on the other hand, they know what they're good at and stick to it, plus their show you what their all about in their singles, which most bands don't do nowadays. All and all, they're higher up in my book than most.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The acoustic "In my Place" and "Dont panic" turned out good, too. Theyre gettin hype these days (must be for SOF to have compared em to U2!)

Anyone know how the new album went? I got this guy's review, not much else...

Coldplay, X&Y (EMI, 2005)

Alright, it's the supposed album that's going to save the music industry. If we don't all run out and buy this, some tall Israeli's family is going to be forced to sell all of the silver in their teeth. Did I just say that? Because that really does have bad connotations. My bad.

SQUARE ONE

This first track is pretty solid as far as these things go. It seems like it lacks any real defining melodic signature that would make it really memorable, but otherwise it's got pretty much all the hallmarks of a hot Coldplay song, no pun intended.

WHAT IF

The thing about it is, by this point, Coldplay have gotten what they do down to such an exact science. Listening to this for the first time, I found myself thinking, "Wow, this would be a good time for one of those huge, anthemic choruses," and what do you know, out popped this huge, anthemic (if, again, not particularly memorable) chorus.

WHITE SHADOWS

I imagine this will be a single at some point just because it's got a driving beat to it and that ringing guitar effect that people seem to like so much. I wish more of their songs rocked this hard - relatively speaking, of course.

FIX YOU

At this point, I have hardly a sentimental bone in my body and this one hit me on a certain level. The droning organ that runs throughout kind of gives it the feel of funeral music or something.

TALK

I imagine this will be a single as well if for no other reason than the fact that I feel like I've heard this before, and this is my first time listening to this shit.

X&Y

This title track is an early low-point. The chorus is decent enough if entirely obvious, but it doesn't have a lot going on otherwise to recommend it.

SPEED OF SOUND

The first single. You've more than likely heard it and have your own opinion of it at this point. I think it's pretty awesome.

A MESSAGE

Where I expected this to be the point at which the album falls to shit, I actually kinda like this one. Don't worry, it more or less falls to shit after this.

LOW

I should like this more because it's faster, but I don't. There's just not that much to it at all.

THE HARDEST PART

One thing that I will give this album is that it's got a very consistent feel to it, and not in that "These all sound the same" kind of way, even though that's sometimes the case if not always.

SWALLOWED IN THE SEA

Boring album filler bullshit. You can tell they were at least trying to do something really transcendent, but that they just fell way short - an apt metaphor for this album in general.

TWISTED LOGIC

I don't really like this one at all.

TIL KINGDOM COME

I think that last one was actually the last track on the album and that this one is actually a "bonus track," but whatever. This one's actually pretty good, even if doesn't necessarily fit in as well with the rest of these songs.

COMMENTS: This is probably the weakest of the 3 Coldplay albums so far, but it's not for a lack of trying. This has more or less all of the hallmarks of a really good Coldplay album - relatively speaking, of course - but it sounds like they pretty much ran out of great songwriting ideas about halfway through that last album of theirs. What's left is pleasant if entirely unmemorable, if that's a word.

BEST TRACKS: "Talk" "Speed of Sound"

i didn't compare them favourably to u2, i think even Chris Martin has said he wants to usurp u2's role as the biggest band on the planet. And in fairness, thats not gonna happen after seeing u2 again! The were just awesome.

I will concede though their first album was quite strong, then to me they just turned into whiney mutha fuckas! A lot of respected critics have panned the new album as mediocre.

Personally, i'd kill coldplay, i hate them...

Ya can't be the biggest band of all time if all yer songs sound the goddamn same!

Anyways, I think their 1st album was the most diverse sounding and past that there are a handful of really great songs, but listening to a full album is a pretty boring experience.

Amen to SOF and Junker. I've also been one of those who's always compared them to U2, but usually by saying they "sound like a cover band that does nothing but U2's mediocre songs". Very few Coldplay songs have ever done anything for me more than blah, and I really can't name a single one that I'd actually say I liked.

Praise the lord!

Really currently u2 are the biggest band without a shadow of a doubt, i mean they sold 240,000 tickets for their three shows in Ireland in little over 1hr! In fairness!

Coldplay are distinctly middle of the road bollocks! where as u2 were never afraid to try something different - zoo tv, achtung baby, pop anyone? Now i was never u2's greatest fan, but i dug their songs, but they're unbelievable live! Vertigo is brilliant, but for me the song of the night was With Or Without You, which they finished on, it was close though, because still haven't found what i'm looking for was awesome too... they are the songs that mean something to me, and made the hairs stand on the back of me neck!

But in fairness there are a growing number of people who despise coldplay! We need more people, stop buying the music! The only coldplay song i really liked was yellow, after that, it was all shite!

I'm still not really a fan of light rock like this but 'Keane - Hopes and Fears' and 'Snow Patrol - Final Straw' are probably more like Coldplay's first album than Coldplay themselves, at least from what little I've heard of them.

Edited by King Of Snake

woah SoF, did Coldplay promise to make all your dreams come true, then sneak a special pill in your drink and anally rape you at a rest stop bathroom? I mean, I have distates for bands, but woah! They have certainly pissed you off!

Nothing that serious, just when i hear Chris Martin warbling on, it is akin to a teacher scraping their nails down a blackboard!!!

I guess its a purely irrational hatred. But i still hate em!!!

KoS, I also despise Keane! But Snow Patrol are ok in my book, some decent songs, even if they are little coldplayish!! My fave track of theirs is Run.

Hahah no it's funny! I guess I'm on the border line of liking them and hating them. I get like that with some music artists too, but wasn't sure if there was some sort of underlying thing that made you hate them so much.

but yesssss.

I really like the song Clocks.

ps I've never heard of Keane or Snow Patrol.... worth a listen?

I think snow patrol is very good stuff, well, I think the album final straw is good, I Dl'd some of their earlier stuff and I'm not as impressed.

And MH, remember, coldplay gets overplayed to hell and back in the states, imagine what they must put up with in europe.

Edited by JunkerSeed

Nothing that serious, just when i hear Chris Martin warbling on, it is akin to a teacher scraping their nails down a blackboard!!!

I guess its a purely irrational hatred. But i still hate em!!!

KoS, I also despise Keane! But Snow Patrol are ok in my book, some decent songs, even if they are little coldplayish!! My fave track of theirs is Run.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hates Keane. There the sort of band that I'd happily ignore but one of their ads that had blanket coverage when they released their first album had a hateful slogan, something like "the first essential album of the year" wich realy got my blood boiling. If anyband gets favourably revied in The Times, Heat and the NME that's three strikes for me.

Snowpatrol shouldn't realy be mentioned in the same breath, even if thier (last?) single, I think it was called Light Up was firmly geared towards the Coldplay-Keane Mommy Market.

Ok, I'll admit, Clocks was decent. MH, you've probably heard at least Run by Snow Patrol if you've listened to the radio at all in the last year. I like the song enough that I'll probably give the album a shot next time I see (steal) it. 'Specially if it's getting recommendations from the resta ya.

Radio...? What's a Radio?! haha

I only use the radio to listen to KLLI Live 105.3, The alternative talk station! with Howard Stern, Russ Martin, and that ass Tom Leykis haha.

and in the evening/nighttime (generally saturdays) TCU College Radio has some badass shit, but don't ask me to tell you what half the bands are.

But maybe since I downloaded that Ares I'll get some songs!

ps tomorrow is thursday when cj gets paid and stuff/mail goes out! (well things will be mailed on friday prolly...) but yay!