Hondo's Bar

Smashing Pumpkins

Reverend Jax

Smashing Pumpkins 1991-2000 Greatest Hits Video Collection. Bought this DVD a few weeks back and I forgot to review it. Here goes:

B00005RFBA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Two thumbs up. Lots of bands throw together crappy collections (or let their label get away with it), but the Pumpkins have clearly put effort into this one. It has every one of their videos, and with them broken up, you never fear needed to buy another DVD for more videos. IT has every video, plus three live preformances, "I Am One", the song that first got them noticed on the Chicago music scene, "Geek USA", a fan favoite off Siamese Dream, and "An One To No One", a great song off Mellon Collie. Plus a short (15 minute) film called "Try", put together with the footage from the video to "Try, Try, Try" without the music and with a voice over narration. Plus, every video has a making of documentary feature and a commentary, in some cases, more than one. Their last song "Untitled", is an easter egg (hidden). I hate easter eggs, so that's the only thing I don't like about this collection. It's awesome to watch the videos chronologically and see the evolution, both of music and look (Watch Billy Corgan transform from Jim Morrison into a vampire!). The commentary are intersting and contain cool anecdotes (sp?). This collection get an A for quality, and an A+ for effort.

Yeah, I got this one the day it came out. Absolutely great set, The pumpkins have such good videos, you forget sometimes. I forgot how much the "Bullet with Butterfly wings" video resembled a surge commercial. Oh, and that try try try shit is FUCKED UP. And yeah, the guy made a whole short film and they edited it into just the video. Geek USA is probably the scariest live performance I've ever laid eyes on too. This is one of the beter vid collections out there, surpased only by the Criterion Beastie Boys one maybe. Oh, and for more pumpkins DVD goodness get "Viewphoria" an old popular video that they finally put out on DVD. It's a bunch of live stuff, and a few random bits of everything, some funny little sketches and other stuff on the making of Siamese dream.

Yeah, I looked at the features on the Viewphoria disc and wasn't tempted. I just love watching the adore video with non-pumpkins-familiar friends a seeing them scared by Corgan. He haunts their dreams :D "He's a vampire!"

Anyway, while it has no special features, I love the Weird Al videos collection too. I think DVD collections of music videos should always have subtitled available, adn music only tracks, for karaoke singing, but alas, it is but a dream.

• 5 years later...

The Lolapalozza one?

I am one would be up there, as jax said, siva is great, Stumbeline is beautiful.. Its hard to name just one.

I Am One is great. Rhinoceros is also great. Gish starts with such a powerful one, two, three punch. The last song they recorded before breaking up, Untitled, is also awesome.

Because it sounds so different, or because it didn't have James Iha? Because if it's because it sounds different, lots of band's evolve their sound, and the Pumpkins are actually a great example of a band that never rehashed their sound. Every Pumpkins album had a different sound to it. I mean, can you imagine Ava Adore on Gish? Or Cupid de Locke on Machina? As for James Iha, he was a good guitarist, but the Pumpkins were almost entirely creatively driven by Billy Corgan. On alot of the albums, he recorded all the guitar and bass parts and Iha and D'Arcy would just learn them for live shows.

• 2 years later...

Smashing Pumpkins just got done touring throughout Arizona and wouldn't ya know it... I went front row to their concert in crappy Tuscon. Man what a siksik-SIK show despite Billy Corgan's new obsession with Kiss and their "God of Thunder" track (yea... he hadem play it 3 friken different times).

I put up the best pics I took on facebook (go figure im on that thing :D) and I took so much video that my battery was completely drained by the end of the show. Too bad since I was in the front everything was so loud the lows destroyed the mic (so THATS what the noise cancelling mic is for!).

Anywho, their music is awesome n can't get enuffz. Corgan is releasing a track per month on the website and played them all during the concert in addition to hitting on all the best stuff the pumpkins did together, EVER. Such an awesome show. Did anyone go see them n the east coast???

(Man.. I would luv to see a Zwan concert tho :-X ...

I'm agreed as to Zeitgeist not being fantastic... Whether Billy Corgan did most of the everything in the Pumpkins, especially near the end, it isn't the same band now. It's like the Beatles... near the end Paul was going in and recording things alone, as was John, and Paul was re-recording all of Ringo's drums, but the solo albums that followed, though good (great, a few of them), were not the same, and I would never want to call them Beatles albums. They're not. I feel like he's just trying to get people to buy the album based on the name since Zwan didn't do that well (commercially, anyway... I still liked that album).

As for favorite song, Nick totally stole mine, Annie-Dog. For the moment, anyway. Adore is probably my favorite album, though I've listened to Mellon Collie and Siamese Dream more.

Also, I don't care if it's just Billy and Jimmy Chamberlin (or just Billy now?), there would be very few limits to what I'd do to go see them in concert. I really wanna go on the 22nd. Fellow Texans, what do you guys think? Should we organize an outing? It's been awhile since we did something :-D

• 1 year later...

There's an Asian guy, a female bass player, and a nondescript white dude on drums--it must be the Smashing Pumpkins!

Despite Bily Corgan's Bizarro Universe lin-up mirroring the band's 90s heyday, the new SP album is full on win! I honestly didn't give Zeitgeist a fair shake, just a few cursory listens before I deleted it from my iPod, but nothing ever really stood out for me. Oceania is different in it had a few standout tracks for me right away. I've had the album in rotation on ye olde iPod the past few weeks. Do try.