Hondo's Bar

MUSIC MOVIES

After watching "24 Hour Party People" I was wondering if there are any other really good movies about music/musicians. Here's some of my picks...

24 Hour Party People

The story of the Manchester scene (from 1976 with the Sex Pistols starting a revolution - to 1992, the demise), 24 Hour Party People is an excellant film. The main character of the piece is Factory records boss Tony Wilson and with him narrating (every now and again he'll break the fourth wall and talk to the camera and once he even acknowledges the fact that it is a movie) he tells the tale of two of the most influential bands of the 1980's - Joy Division and The Happy Mondays. It shows how the punk and rave culture began way back when. Steve "Alan Partridge" Coogan plays Wilson and he is amazing. Alot of people said that he was just Partridge-lite and I can kinda see where they're coming from, but I think he carries this film so well he deserved some award or other. The other performers are top class as well, with Sean Harris as Ian Curtis easily the best. I gotta say I was really impressed with thism one and I'd advise renting it out.

Sid and Nancy

Another punk related one, Alex Cox's "Sid and Nancy" is a classic. Gary Oldman really out does himself in his portryal of Sid Vicious and Chloe Webb's Nancy Spongen gets an A as well. The love story is really strong and some of the scenes are hillarious. Watch out for the "Gotta get a job, a good job" scene. The soundtrack is class as well. This is another one well worth the rent.

Is it Nick Broomfield who did the Kurt and Courtney and Biggie & Tupac documentaries?

Seen the Kurt and Courtney one, wasn't much cop, but heard the Biggie&2pac one is really good.

Also, Spinal Tap is of course genius and heard many good things about 24 hour party people so I'm sure I'll rent that soon.

ah... check that. that thing you do, spinal tap, almost famous, and hedwig and the angry inch.

seen almost famous, but wasn't impressed.... gotta see the others in entirety.

oh, and SLC punk is great!!! it's not about any band though. it's about the punk rock movement and anarchy.

Edited by spiffytee

• 3 years later...

I am astounded nobody mentioned The Last Waltz. Besides Tap and the others ye've mentioned so far, there's Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same, Jimi Hendrix,. I heard Dig was good, i have'nt seen it yet though.

Some Kind Of Monster was...interesting, am i the only person who after seeing that thought that Ulrich and Hetfield were whiny bitches, and that hammett took a lot of undeserved shit?

I am astounded nobody mentioned The Last Waltz. Besides Tap and the others ye've mentioned so far, there's Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same, Jimi Hendrix,. I heard Dig was good, i have'nt seen it yet though.

Some Kind Of Monster was...interesting, am i the only person who after seeing that thought that Ulrich and Hetfield were whiny bitches, and that hammett took a lot of undeserved shit?

Well, I wasn't thinking of concert films when I saw the first post...like 4 years ago. I can't believe I hadn't mentioned Purple Rain...that movie rocks so much. Also, A Mighty Wind is great. I just bought Rockers It's Dangerous, but I haven't seen it yet.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

Sid & Nancy was fucking awesome. In a Alana-style trademark("don't worry that Star Wars Episode 3 is over- there's sure to be an Episode 4"- she wasn't joking and neither am I) moment I only found out last weekend Spinal Tap wasn't a real band.

• 1 year later...

Pink Floyd's The Wall and The Who's Tommy!

Also i recommend Hedwig and the Angry Inch and The Velvet Goldmine...lipstick kissed elbow gloves!- also Thom Yorke does the vocal tracks for a few of the songs...super yummy!<----if you love early glam YOU MUST WATCH THIS MOVIE!

oh yeah... the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and I'm Not There (only I haven't seen i'm not there, so I can't tell you anything about it haha).

Across The Universe is devine as well, and I also highly recommend it.

Edited by Dr.Girlfriend