Hondo's Bar

Wolverine

The NZA

• 3 weeks later...

Shit is hitting the fan soon

wolverine25.jpg

Mid-Way Through Enemy: Millar on Wolverine

by Matt Brady

Issue #23, that is, part four of the six part “Enemy of the State” arc in Wolverine by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. hit shops this week, with a brainwashed Wolverine taking on, and taking out a legion of HYDRA soldiers.

As things are continuing to gear up towards the arc’s conclusion in February’s #25, we thought that playing a little catch-up with Millar might be in order, as well as putting the screws to him to tell us a little more about what’s coming up.

Newsarama: So, first off, how about bringing us up to date from your perspective. Sure – we’re read the issues, but from your point of view, in the larger Wolverine story you wanted to tell, there are things coming out of issue #23?

Mark Millar: I didn't grow up with Wolverine, but I was always reading about how he was the biggest badass in the Marvel Universe and so I was slightly surprised when I started reading the X-Men and saw, in recent years, how he'd become this paternalistic, meditating whiner. He seemed absolutely nothing like the dangerous Wolverine I'd glimpsed as I'd flicked through those expensive color comics on my local newsstand when I was a kid and I wanted to get back to the feeling that this guy was unpredictable and frightening.

This seems to have resonated with the readers too as reaction has been enormous and sales have not only increased enormously but we've had same-day sell-outs on the three issues so far. Marvel has obligingly gone back to press on the first three issues so hopefully anyone who's missed the series so far can still catch up.

NRAMA: And for those looking to get caught up – tease out the larger picture…

MM: The idea couldn't be simpler; Hydra has formed an alliance with The Hand and a mutant cult called The Dawn of the White Light. After sixty years of little progress, their plan is to simply neutralize the superheroes that have always out-foxed them by turning them into super-villains and using them against the forces of order in the world. Thus, Wolverine - who's pretty much the Marvel Universe's deadliest living weapon - is fired back to kill or corrupt everything from the Fantastic Four to the X-Men. It's Baron Strucker's last attempt to cling onto the head of Hydra after decades of really not accomplishing much in the way of destabilizing America.

NRAMA: While Woleverine has cut a pretty broad swath through the Marvel Universe, things get especially deadly with issue #25, when he visits home, that is, the X-mansion. You’ve teased that an X-Man is going to bite it at the hands of Wolverine, but that could mean anything from a third-tier ancillary character getting gutted to one of the headliners. Where does the soon-t-be-dead X-Men fit in?

MM: The X-Man who Wolverine does in in issue #25 has is probably one of the most high profile X-Men of the last ten years. He's enormously well-known and I'm amazed Marvel let me away with this. Obviously, they weren't going to let me kill Daredevil or the Hulk or whomever, but I was surprised when they said I could kill this character. It actually works really well. It's a real comic-book moment and I just saw the art last week and had to pinch myself. Wolverine driving his claws through this character was quite a sight. To be continued…

NRAMA: Is this some kind of (pardon the holiday pun) law of conservation of X-mass? Joss Whedon just brought Colossus back in Astonishing, and now you’re killing one off in Wolverine? Are these some kind of cosmic scales that need to be balanced?

MM: Actually, a little part of me wanted to have Wolvie kill Colossus the month after

his big comeback. Just to be a bastard.

NRAMA: Having Wolverine fight the X-Men in this kind of battle - this pretty much shows just how deep his head’s been messed with, doesn’t it. Obviously, while he’s already attacked allies in the Marvel U, the X-Men are his family.

MM: Yeah, that's been fun to write because the internal monologue becomes increasingly frantic. Each issue is almost self-contained and the X-Men star in issue #25, focusing a little on Wolverine writhing around on Rachel Summers. Bearing in mind that this girl looks exactly like Jean Grey did when she first joined the X-Men, this gave me a chance to play around with some of the darker elements to Wolverine's personality and the way he thinks when he's not 100% under his own control. It's the kind of thing you obviously can't write for the regular Wolverine, but this gave me a chance to really explore the stuff he maybe doesn't admit to himself. It's pretty seedy and, when it appears, I'll doubtless be slightly ashamed of myself.

NRAMA: That said, what’s your view of the repercussions of this in regards to the X-Universe? Will the X-Men ever be able to trust Wolverine again?

MM: That's the thing. “Agent of SHIELD,” the second ar,) really follows this up and plays around with the idea. Just coming home and saying sorry for killing our friends and trying to rape you, but I was brainwashed by an evil death cult just doesn't cut it sometimes. Wolverine is all about honor and his honor has been pretty shattered by what these guys have done to him. But that's also what makes it so exciting. This is the worst thing that's ever been done to him and so we see Wolvie's revenge being pretty much the worst thing he's ever done. The phrase berserker rage doesn't even begin to cover what happens in “Agent of SHIELD.” It's just death on a monumental scale. The final two pages of issue #27 just gives me goose-bumps. You'll see what I mean when you read it.

NRAMA: So let’s talk about “Agent of SHIELD” a little more…

issue #26, cover by Greg LandMM: 100,000 people are in these three organizations that have wronged Wolverine and he's basically sent out by SHIELD to make a huge bloody dent in them. SHIELD isn't functioning too well by the end of issue twenty-seven and, again, you'll have to wait and see what I mean by that. But there's some huge shake-ups in this story and nothing will ever be the same again, as they say. Having Wolverine offered the chance to be an Agent of SHIELD appealed to me because he's in about fourteen teams already and I wanted to get a gag in there about his wallet not being able to handle anymore membership cards. Such is the price of popularity, I suppose.

NRAMA: As you’ve said, and readers have seen, The Hand is involved in all of Wolverine’s troubles. Now, okay – he’s been brainwashed, but they’ve also got a solid resume of other powers. Any more of their badass mojo coming?

MM: The murder and resurrection of the Marvel heroes just kicks into overdrive with issue #26. You'll see why it's important when you read the issue, but we go a little nuts with this and there's a few surprises. I think you'll be quite freaked by who we bring back as a killer-zombie-badass. Some fan favorites you know very well.

NRAMA: “Fan favorites?” There was this guy with a bow who bought it recently…any chance he’ll be among the zombie badasses?

MM: That would be telling. And they'll do anything for Hydra except take it up the arse.

NRAMA: Oh, now there’s a lovely image two days before Christmas…  Larger picture again though – Wolverine’s gone bad, dead heroes are returning to fight heroes. Both of these could seemingly kill morale for any Marvel U hero, as well as really screw with the structure of who trusts whom. Is this going to have ripples?

MM: Enormous ripples. For the sake of mutant relations, SHIELD is trying to keep a lid on Wolvie's involvement, but this naturally explodes and plays into what we're doing elsewhere in terms of the X-Men becoming hated again. Also, lots of books are tying in with this story and exploring how it affects their own books and characters. That's what selling out will do for you, I suppose. These buggers weren't that interested until Diamond told everyone we'd completely sold out [laughs].

NRAMA: Okay – we’ve got “Agent of SHIELD” starting with zombie heroes, and then what? Any larger  teases as to where things are heading?

MM: Me going on holiday. I'm a huge fan of limited runs - Dark Knight, Year One, Born Again, etc., and just want “Enemy of the State” to be one of those things people recommend when a newbie asks for a good Wolverine story. I'm really, really enjoying myself and getting a stiffy with every page Johnny sends, but I said I'd do twelve and I'm only doing twelve. I know these twelve are good whereas my eighteenth issue could be a piece of shit and I'm not taking that risk. My Marvel contract is up at the end of summer so I'm having a going away party - which you're all invited to, by the way, in New York in the fall and just disappearing for a while. Wolverine, Spider-Man, something else and Ultimates 2, plus a biographical project I'm working on for another company, is a nice output of work for 2005 so I feel quite happy about disappearing for a while and popping up again where you least expect it. Millarworld 2 will be chief among my thoughts at this time, but there are a few other surprises.

..holy shit, its the arc ive always wanted to see, the one Cleremont talked about back when he was good: Wolverine losing control, bumping someone big off, and not everyone being so cool with him anymore.

Millar's onto somethin with the 'loner who's on too many teams", but this is a weird one...Witch goes crazy in Avengers, team falls apart, she's gone. Wolvy does the same (granted, under control) and now he's becoming an Avenger....? I know Bendis & Millar got somethin goin on here....

Im debating making a seperate poll, cause i wanna take bets on which X-Man buys it. I'm hyped bout this...going from Rucka & Roberston to this team has Wolvy's 2nd series better than he's ever had it, i think.

• 1 month later...

...So, were one issue shy of "Enemy of the State" tying up, i believe, and the last issue - Wolvy vs Daredevil - was cool shit. Millar's talking about the entire Marvel U in this series, Wolvy's been in the background in the last 2 issues, but the action's heavy when he's on panel. The Gorgon fight was cool, too.

I cant wait to see what happens when Wolvy hits the Xavier compund, much less the following "Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." arc. I honestly hope his actions leave him "unforgiven" and off the team, at least for a while, as he's getting overused lately, and its a shame, after all the good work Rucka & Robertson did. Still, he's gonna at least be teaming up with the New Avengers soon, so we'll see. Im actually lookin for continuity after this arc, where i prolly shouldnt. If we can at least get rid of the banana suit for a while, id be cool with that.

In other news, Newsarama says Silvestri's doin a variant cover for the next arc, for his fans:

WOLV026_ALT_COV_t.jpg

Of course, Greg Land's cover aint bad neither.

wolverine27th.jpg

ps for those curious "Wolverine: The End" was every bit as dissapointing as his average mini-series, only worse cause Jenkins said it would tie up "Origin" but (thankfully) didnt really touch it; it just asked a buncha questions on its own, and never answered em.

Again, it just introduced its own questions and never answered them, i felt....the ending was, eh, and i was really surprised that Jenkins seemed to be milking the scraps he left in Origin - he's a hit or miss writer, but he's done shit like The Sentry, so i was hoping for better. I kinda wish Larry Hama gave it a go, come to think bout it.

Also, the art was weak, and not to spoil a mediocre series, but...isnt the main character supposed to die in their "The End" book...?

Yeah, people rave about Peter David's Hulk "End" book, but i thought Ennis' Punisher one-shot was the best yet, you gotta see that one if ya can.

Also, thank you for callin that one on Steranko....i knew it was an homage, just couldnt place the name...

• 2 months later...

heh...no one's readin this book, no one enjoyed that parody...? :D

Fair enough; great interview with Millar on the tail-end of his run, over at Newsarama...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

All that, and a closing-out with a silent WWII story, inspired by Will Eisner! :D :D :D

• 2 months later...

Kaare Andrews on Wolverine after Millar, which im about ready to see:

KAARE ANDREWS TALKS WOLVERINE #32

by Chris Arrant

As Mark Millar's pulse-pounding run on Wolverine began to draw to a close, the author began thinking of a way to "go out with a bang" so to speak. An idea slowly formed in his head, of Logan behind enemy lines in a World War II concentration camp.

As the importance and emotional weight this story would bestow began to sink in, Mark needed a special artist to turn his words into pictures. Using his popular Millarworld forums, Mark wen to the fans to find out who they wanted him to collaborate with. Many names were bandied around, but slowly one name came to the forefront.

Enter Kaare Andrews.

Eisner-nominated for his jaw-dropping Incredible Hulk covers, Kaare is most recently known for his Doctor Octopus: Year One miniseries with writer Zeb Wells, but has also worked with Millar in the past on an arc of Ultimate X-Men. Kaare Andrews has a history with the world's favorite kanuck, illustrating him on multiple occasions. Newsarama had a chance to talk with the Canadian artist about this upcoming standalone issue, as well as his recent film work.

Newsarama: You have a history with Wolverine, illustrating him numerous times such as in X-Men Unlimited and earlier in Before The Fantastic Four: Ben Grimm & Logan. You're back for one more time, partnering with Mark Millar for a special issue. Can you tell us your feelings on the character of Wolverine, and his place in the grand scheme of comics?

Kaare Andrews: Wolverine is one of my favorite characters. Being a kid growing up in Canada you didn't have a lot of hometown heroes in the entertainment world. And no, Celine Dion does not inspire me to greatness. When I found out Wolverine was a Canuck it made my little spine explode. And as I started breaking into the 'biz' my first project for Marvel was a Wolverine related mini-series. He's just always inspired me to draw. Him and Spidey. And I've been able to take turns with those two. So for myself he's been very important. Even at cons I'm always drawing either Spidey or Wolverine all day for fans.

For the industry? He's the man. He's a character that can take an unknown like Hugh Jackman and give him a multi-million dollar career. He's the character that every little boy wants to grow up to be, every grown man wishes he was and every woman wishes she was with. And dude... he's been trained as a samurai to kick ninja ass. Can I say that again? He's been trained as a samurai to kick ninja ass.

NRAMA: In the solicitations, it describes the issue as "a ghost story in the tradition of Creepy and Eerie". Without giving too much away, what kind of book were you and Millar aiming for with this one shot?

KA: Well, Mark had his idea for this story way before I was on board. As I understand it, he even talked to Will Eisner as to how to do a story like this, how to do it in a setting that is so charged. Will gave him this little piece of advice, "Make Wolverine silent." Simple as that. And it works. That's what happens when you ask a comicbook legend for advice. Like an old samurai, a quick, precise answer that is deadlier than a thousand student katanas.

For me, part of the fun is playing with a creepy tale and interpreting it into artwork. I'm using a lot of black! But because it's set in winter I also get to use a lot of white! I feel a little sorry for our colorist (the talented Jose Villarubbia) because I'm not sure how he's going to handle it! I know what I would do... and it would be a pain in the ass. I'm very excited to see his stuff on these pages. His palette is always a pleasure to see in print.

NRAMA: While the adventures in the Wolverine series always prove intense, the subject matter that is being delved into in "Prisoner Number Zero" is particularly so. Set in a World War II concentration camp, this issue looks to cover some sensitive ground. What were your thoughts when you were approached for this kind of story?

KA: Well like I said earlier, Mr. Eisner had a great idea to help Mark get going. And to be honest I didn't really give it much thought at first. It wasn't really until I started gathering reference material that I started realizing what we were doing. You start researching concentration camps, looking at photos and reading about how the gas chambers worked. It's heavy. It would be easy to get caught up in all of that. And I have to tell you. I can't draw a story set in a concentration camp. I would go crazy trying to make sure I respected all the lives lost, all the bad stuff that happened, all the pain. Unless it was a historical-based comic you just can't do it without feeling... dirty.

But here's the secret. This is a story set in a made up world. It's inspired by our own, but come on... it's about a guy with 3 foot nails that pop out of his hand and a skeletal system chromed out in exotic metals. You can't treat this story literally. You can't say that in the real world there was a super hero who was a prisoner in this and such a prison. It doesn't work. Art is about exploring metaphors. The concentration camp that I'm drawing is really a sort of dramatic hell or some other kind of purgetory system. Wolverine is some kind of captor in that system. And the evil Nazi is his victim.

I can draw that. I can understand that. I can have fun in that kind of a story.

NRAMA: Mark Millar went an unusual route when looking for an artist for this special issue; namely, by posting on his message board asking for fans' dream team-ups for Millar's 13th and final issue of Wolverine. That quickly led Marvel and Millar to your door. What's the experience for you of working with Millar on this issue?

KA: It's funny, because I didn't really hear about this stuff until after I agreed to draw the issue. I've seen Mark do that before, take a poll amongst his fans. Very cool. Nice to see.

This is a good chance to draw a story for Mark that isn't so cartoony as my Ultimate X-Men run. I have to tell you, I've never had such a polar response to my work as those Ultimate X-Men issues! People either loved it or hated it! I think with all things in life you have to make bold choices. Choices that say things, choices that challenge people and systems. And silly as it sounds, that choice to draw Ultimate X-Men in my cartoony style was a bold one. Hopefully the way I'm drawing this one is bold as well. Nothing will kill you faster than complacency...

NRAMA: As a proven writer in your own right, what it's like working with a writer like Mark Millar?

KA: I really try to avoid working with writers that aren't... me. But man, if you give me a great writer, one who can out type my little mind, then I'm in! Zeb Wells was one of those guys. Mark Millar is one of those guys. Because at the end of the day this stuff is all about the story. And if your story is better then mine, I'd rather draw yours!

NRAMA As of late you've been focusing more time on your "other" career, namely in directing the upcoming Son of Pumpkin Face movie. Can you tell us about this project, and what stage you're at right now?

KA: Son of Pumpkinface is progressing. I will be directing and it's written by comicbook writer, Andrew Dabb. We'll see how it all turns out. I've also written a ninja movie that I'm very excited about and will be meeting some really cool people next week to talk about it. On that list are production companies representing John Woo, Joel Silver, MTV Films, the guys who did the XXX movies, the guys who did Elf, the guys who did Saving Private Ryan... I'm really very excited because they're my first big 'hollywood' meetings. Who knows what will happen, most probably nothing... but they all want to meet me. It's exciting. Especially meeting John Woo's people. Hard Boiled is still one of my favorite movies.

I've also just completed filming a short film called Unwritten... Go check out the website if you have a moment. We can't host the film itself because it will be debuting at the festival circuit later this year but we have some pics, and should soon have a behind the scenes look at the film to download. I did it as part of the Crazy 8s, "Canada's most successful filmmaking event".

In the film world I also won the Great Canadian Commercial Contest a couple months ago and Best Director at the CineVic Slam Film Festival. Put that together with my Shuster Award for "Outstanding Canadian Comicbook Artist" and my recent Wizard cover of the month and I've had a great past couple of months!

But honestly, I'm really proud of Unwritten... and after the festivals have finished, we will be finding a home to distribute it on DVD. I wish I could show you all right now. But then I'd be disqualified for winning that twenty dollars at Sundance. And lord knows I could use it. All those bribes were quite costly.

NRAMA: Returning to comics, do you have any other upcoming work that we should keep our eyes out for?

KA: Oh, yes! But I'm not allowed to say. Let me just say this in case this film talk has scared anyone. I love visual storytelling. It's my passion. I love it in comics, I love it in film. And I'm going to be doing both for a very long time. I'll be doing Wolverine covers for the next little bit, and at the same time hard at work on my secret comicbook projects.

Wolverine #32 is written by Mark Millar, with art by Kaare Andrews and colors by Jose Villurbia. Published by Marvel Comics, it is scheduled for release in September 2005 with a retail price of $2.50. For more information on Kaare's work, visit www.kaareandrews.com.

Execution_02jpeg.jpg

WOLV032002_600_copy.jpg

WOLV032008_600_copy.jpg

WOLV032009_600_copy.jpg

WOLV032010_600_copy.jpg

• 1 month later...

so, after this month's Millar finale - a WW II holocaust tale, with parital credit to Will Eisner - Daniel Way (Sentinel, i believe) starts a year-long stint on the book, with the fallout of House of M (Decimation) leaving Wolvy introspective...looking forward to it.

fullWOLV037cov_col.jpg

WOLVERINE #37

Written by DANIEL WAY

Layouts by JAVIER SALTARES

Finishes by MARK TEXEIRA

Cover by KAARE ANDREWS

"Origins and Endings"

DECIMATION Tie-In!

After all this time, can it be true? Does he...? Logan's recent moves certainly offer some clues -- he's got his hands full, locked in battle deep under downtown Tokyo with one of his oldest and deadliest enemies: Silver Samurai! And that's just Round One. Wait'll you see Round Two. Part 2 (of 5).

32 PGS./PARENTAL ADVISORY ...$2.50

• 1 month later...

# 36 is coming up, and its the big one ive been waiting for....

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

WOLV036covVAR_col.jpg

WOLVERINE #36

by Daniel Way, Javier Saltares, & Mark Texeira

Variant Cover by Joe Quesada

From Marvel Comics. "ORIGINS AND ENDINGS" Part 1 (of 5) -- Left shaken at ground zero after the

cataclysmic events of House of M, Logan has no choice but to soldier on, as he has done so many

times before -- but has the burden now become too great? In his lifetime, Logan has been both a

hero and a villain, a player and a pawn... but what is he now? Don't miss out on the beginning of a

year-long epic over a century in the making. Scheduled to ship 11/23/05. 32pgs, FC $2.50

Wolverine36_1.jpg

Wolverine36_2.jpg

Wolverine36_3.jpg

Wolverine36_4.jpg

Wolverine36_5.jpg

Wolverine36_6.jpg

wolvie3615.jpg

I'm enjoying this artist, and like Bendis said, its the best time in a long while to get some really great stories out of this character that couldntve been told before, i really hope Way takes advantage of that.

and perhaps manages to get him out of the banana-suit.

Wolverine36_cvr.jpg

You know, i finally got to go back & finish Rucka's run..."Coyote Crossing" was alright, not nearly as strong as "The Brotherhood". The last one with the savage chick was solid, too - damn, i do wish that team'd had more time on the title.

I too got bored of Millar's run, about halfway through Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D....for a guy who said Wolvy'd leave thousands in his wake & be this big badass, i just didnt get all that, unless he meant Elektra. Anyway, this new direction, again, could really be awesome if they flesh it out.

I updated my previous post: new preview, with words & such.

despite my initial take on his version (which im sure youll remind me of till i die), i of course also wish he'd come back....its good to see him draw wolvy over in Nightcrawler once in a while, anyway.

Texaria's classic tho, and im just glad to see someone who's not Romita Jr on the book, for now.

Now, to see if this arc somehow gets him back into plain clothes, or the classic brown & tan...anything but banana suit.

ps dont know why his eyes are brown in that panel, but they do that alla time.

• 1 month later...

After Millar's first arc Wolvie can suck my balls. Dunno who drew that SS tale you spoke of (I happened upon it Zcult style) but I didn't like it. Rucka started off the series great...I think it shoulda stayed that way.....Millar's first arc was class but after that it was pretty boring (like MK Spider-Man). I dunno if DW can do anything for the book, is he really that qualified to handle something like Wolverine's origin (y'know what I mean by origin).

Give it to Kirkman (who's doing some of the best Marvel stuff since Bendis went that way). Let's not have another "Wolverine: The End"......

Yeah, the boring artist youre thinkin of is Romita Jr, who just didnt work on the book for me, and i too was surprised how bored i got with "Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." I cant say much about Way - only read Sentinel, so far - but he's 2 issues in, and its fun shit so far. Nothing that touches the characterization Rucka was building, sadly, but far more enjoyable than the last arc.

Ill keep postin here if it keeps along these lines, or gets really exceptional. Meantime, yeah, Kirkman does no wrong.

banner9.gif

bwhaha...to all the :wolvy: haters crying overexposure, Marvel sez: 2nd ongoing series! An "adventrues of" might be more fun, anyway...

lrg_wolverine_002.jpg

NRAMA: … So, Daniel Way and Steve Dillon’s new ongoing series, Wolverine: Origins (http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=54389)... First of all, can you explain the decision to tell this story in the pages of a whole new series, rather than in the monthly Wolverine proper?

JQ: It comes out of the need of trying to serve two masters and tell two different types of stories. The new wrinkle added to Wolverine of having his memories restored to him has added a new dimension and one that offers up tons of story possibilities. But you have to couple that with the fact that he is an integral part of the Marvel Universe that does get involved in adventures as an X-Man, a mutant, and now an Avenger.

The idea for the second book isn’t a new one, we thought about it several years ago right after Origin but we felt the market wasn’t strong enough to maintain two titles. So, flash forward to today, a healthier comics’ market and a Wolverine character that has a lot more going on in his life now. So, we felt the best way to balance his Marvel hero adventures from his quest was to dedicate a title solely to the quest.

The original monthly Origin idea was something akin to the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones … that’s the way we would have handled it back then. Today, Logan’s life’s landscape is very different and instead of having to tell that story in flashback, we can now do it with Wolvie on the road to discovery and discovering it along with the reader.

So, with respect to the current ongoing Wolverine title, this is the book in which you’ll see Logan get involved in things like X-business or even Civil War. There will be a very clear line as to what kinds of stories each title will be telling. Also, if you’re a fan of the brown and tan costume as I am, then that’s what you’ll be getting in Origins.

NRAMA: And speaking which, can you tell us about the future of the current ongoing series? Who will be the next regular creative team on the current monthly and what will be its day-to-day focus, now that Wolverine’s past now seems to be the sole domain of Origins?

JQ: You’ll hear about the team in due time but lets just say that Civil War will enlist Wolverine to hunt down someone quite instrumental in the story. So you’ll have both - an “Origin” adventure and the monthly Wolverine title dealing with a story arc involving an aspect of Civil War. More details soon.

NRAMA: How about generally and in the future, when there isn’t a big Marvel Universe event to play off of? Is that still to be determined?

JQ: There are plenty of stories to tell, not just the "event" ones, but readers will have to be patient.

[update 1: Newsarama has confirmed that writer Stuart Moore (Firestorm) will write a double-sized Wolverine #41 in April, penciled by CP Smith (New Invaders). A “regular” Wolverine creative team has not yet been named.]

NRAMA: No disrespect meant to Daniel Way, but clearly Paul Jenkins has a link to this story due to his work on the original Origin limited series. Can you tell readers how this story would up in Way’s hands as opposed to Jenkins?

JQ: Well, I know that Daniel has done tons of research and is really sifting through the bones of continuity to have this all make sense. Daniel’s also been open to any feedback that our Wolverine-centric writers may have.

For this current run, Daniel seems to have a great grasp of where we want to go with Wolvie. This doesn’t cut off or prohibit Paul from doing something about Logan’s past somewhere down the road. As a matter of fact we still have the bare bones of a pretty cool sequel to Origin that we can dig up someday when the time is right.

NRAMA: The return of the brown & tan costume has been mentioned prominently in regards to this series, including by you a few moments ago. In your mind is that simply a nod to reader’s requests and a cosmetic change? Or is there some story-specific reason or symbolism involved in its return?

JQ: It’s both. First there are story specific reasons that Daniel I believe will address, but it’s also because it’s the coolest costume.

NRAMA: You (meaning Marvel) has already responded to the “over-exposure” issue by announcing Wolverine will no longer be featured in ”Adjectiveless” X-Men or Uncanny (but will remain in Astonishing when it returns). First off, may we assume he’ll also continue to appear in New Avengers?

JQ: Yes, but slowly we’ve been making a concerted effort to limit his appearances. I think that within a few months fans will notice the difference. Let’s face it, he’s always going to be a mainstay, lets not kid ourselves, but with this second title, I think it’s very important to limit where he’s used and how.

NRAMA: We’ll get to that issue in more detail in a sec, but just to complete the circle, in what costume in Astonishing and New Avengers? Will the gold/blue remain or will Wolverine be going all brown & tan?

JQ: As of this moment, he’ll be in blue & gold for team adventures and brown & tan for solo.

NRAMA: But getting back to the larger issue of perceived "over-exposure", that’s still two ongoing series in which he’ll star and two ongoing series in which he’s prominently featured. Is this simply a case while some vocal online readers may think there’s too much Wolverine out there, retailer and readers dollar votes are telling you otherwise? Another rational entirely?

JQ: Folks, he’s one of the stars of the Marvel Universe. A star character means that folks want to see them in books, a star character means they move units. I just don’t understand this argument? There are characters that are literally in twelve or more titles yet this seems to be an argument that people seem to only apply to Wolverine. I have a feeling that the reason so many fans are hard on the character with respect to this is because his appearing in a book really does affect the units it sells. He’s magnetic when others aren’t quite so. So, from that perspective I can see why so much anger.

In the mind of the fan getting angry about a Wolvie appearance in a title, to them Marvel is forcing them to buy a title they don’t want because they love Wolverine and must have every appearance. I mean really looking at it, what else could be the case. I’m sure someone can chime on here and say, “no, not true, I don’t habitually buy a book just because Wolverine is in it.” Okay, I get that, but it does ask that the question be asked:

Then why the hell do you care how many books he appears in?

If you aren’t feeling forced to buy it, if you aren’t reading every Wolverine appearance, then why do you care? Do you complain just to complain? It’s almost like there’s this jealousy towards the character that gets people wound up. But here’s the simple thing, no matter what your reason for complaining, you’ll be seeing less of Logan in the pages of Marvel Comics for some time.

ps finished cover, plus a preview of # 38 here: http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/NextWave/preview.htm

WOLORIG001_COV_150.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

wolverine42.jpg

this team is...unexpected. Then again, so was Robertson & Rucka...

Newsarama: Joe, let's start this week with an announcement you made a couple of days ago...Tell us about your new Wolverine creative team?

First of all, writer Marc Guggenheim is a relative unknown, how did he come to your attention?

JQ: Despite what people may want to believe, I don't discover every writer we work with. Marc actually hooked up with our writer liaison Ruwan Jayatilleke at San Diego last year and handed him some copies of his stuff. Ruwan then handed the stuff to Axel Alonso who really fell in love with what Marc was doing. Axel then had Marc write a Punisher One-Shot which is just amazing and will probably see the light of day later this year and based on that Punisher One-Shot it got him an arc on Wolverine.

NRAMA: You say an "arc"? So is he the indefinite "regular" writer, or is it "six and we'll see"?

JQ: For right now Marc is going to do seven issues and we'll see where that takes all of us. We're incredibly excited about Marc and what he brings to the table.

NRAMA: How about Humberto Ramos? It's been a short break since he last worked on a regular Marvel book. Will his work on Wolverine going to be familiar to readers, or is he experimenting with new looks for this run?

JQ: I think Humberto is going to really surprise a lot of people on this story arc. He's trying some very different things for himself while retaining his unique point of view on the world. It's just beautiful stuff.

I've been a fan of Humberto for years and years and we've become incredibly close friends. He is truly one of the great gentlemen in the comics industry. If you ever have the opportunity to meet him at a con you'll see exactly what I mean. No one is more appreciative of his fans that Humberto.

NRAMA: Finally, tell us more about their first story arc, "Vendetta", that ties into Civil War?

JQ: It's a classic "Wolverine on the hunt" story, but Wolvie has one heck of a chip on his shoulder in this one. Wolvie is given a task where he seeks retribution for some horrible stuff that's gone on in Civil War. The obstacles he uncovers along the way are what are going to make this a fascinating story. New characters with interesting origins tied to classic Marvel mythology and tons of slicing and hacking goodness

Wolv42_03.jpg

Wolv42_04.jpg

Wolv42_05.jpg

wolv42_08.jpg

wolv42_09.jpg

• 1 month later...