Hondo's Bar

Alien vs Predator - 8/04

I dunno... there were times when Alien alums Ridley Scott and James Cameron bothing considered doing one of these...briefly. And now it's been given to Paul Anderson. Anderson's not bad, but he isn't one of the greats. I can't see this living up to the great movies of either series.

...and I'll miss the space marines.

These things have scripts..?

Cmon, Aliens 1 was creepy & really cool, 2 was of course badass, its been kinda weak since then. Same with Predator 2, had its moments tho...this thing oughta just be a cool action fest at best. Ya knew it was gonna happen since P2's ending tho, eh?

I guess the Freddy Vs Jason thing opened some doors...here's to Robocop Vs Terminator '05.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first one wasn't bad. I don't know why people hate on these movies so much. When I tell somebody that I want to go see Aliens V.S. Predator they all like, "you like wack movies". Alien 1-3 where modern sci-fi horror classics and Predator 1 was also a classic! The idea of putting these two together is awesome! I don't go to see the acting... I go to see the the creatures. Sometimes movies are good when they aren't that challenging. Not saying that I watch all mindless movies, but shit who here watches reality tv? Same shit. At the end of the long, stressful day... sometimes... I don't want to think.

Alien 1-3 where modern sci-fi horror classics and Predator 1 was also a classic!

OK, Alien was a sci-fi horror classic. Aliens was an ACTION movie classic. Alien 3 was a good movie, not great, and not a classic. Alien Resurrection was of course crap. Predator 1 was also a classic (in the genre of action movies).

So we're just pretending Predator 2 didn't happen? Or... what?

I disagree entirely, this was a big step up from the first one. There were only two real problems with this movie.

1. The human characters all sucked.

2. It was too fucking dark to tell what was going on.

The gore (which is VERY necessery), the effects, the make-up, the title characters were fine. And to be fair problem 2 was in the first movie, what we didn't get was an alien drone somehow being able to kick the ass of two predators on its own. (The Pred-alien was a young queen like the one in 3 therefore smarter and stronger so I accept that) This predator also thought enough to bring his acid proof armor, hey there's a thought.

Also the line "You are one ugly motherfucker" was never used, there were no face-off money shots of the Alien and Predator looking each other in the eye (unless you count the one at the end and I really don't), the fight scenes weren't too quick to see what was happening (just too dark), and well it was just done by much more competent people.

It's still a ways from greatness but it's getting there and well if AVP1 got enough money to warrant a sequel this one will too.

Whats peoples problem with Ressurection? I thought it was good. I daresay it was better than Alien 3. Although i may be going a bit nuts there. I'll watch Alien 3 again and decide. Been a while.

AVP Requiem looks pretty cool. Although how the hell do they explain an Alien/Predator hybrid? Theyve had human/alien hybrids but that was only cos of the humans gene splicing shenanigans. Even then they fucked up and most the hybrids looked like foetuses.

I was under the impression that the baby alien just gestates in the hosts chest or whatever and doesnt actually take any of their DNA.

And Ripley wasnt strictly a 50/50 hybrid. She had the enhanced strength and agility, acid blood and general superhuman-ness but didnt look an alien at all.

Whats peoples problem with Ressurection? I thought it was good. I daresay it was better than Alien 3. Although i may be going a bit nuts there. I'll watch Alien 3 again and decide. Been a while.

AVP Requiem looks pretty cool. Although how the hell do they explain an Alien/Predator hybrid? Theyve had human/alien hybrids but that was only cos of the humans gene splicing shenanigans. Even then they fucked up and most the hybrids looked like foetuses.

Actually the alien takes DNA from its host. This is why the xenomorph in Alien 3 (whose host was a dog) looked different than the ones in Alien and Aliens.

So the alien born of the predator had mandibles and dreadlocks.

And people didn't like Resurrection because the story really went nowhere, the hybrid idea was kind of stupid, and Ripley's story was finished, we didn't need another chapter. If they make another sequel I hope they do the smart thing and leave Ripley behind.

Actually the alien takes DNA from its host. This is why the xenomorph in Alien 3 (whose host was a dog) looked different than the ones in Alien and Aliens.

So the alien born of the predator had mandibles and dreadlocks.

And people didn't like Resurrection because the story really went nowhere, the hybrid idea was kind of stupid, and Ripley's story was finished, we didn't need another chapter. If they make another sequel I hope they do the smart thing and leave Ripley behind.

Hmmm just googled a few pics of the aliens and compared the ones from different movies. I never noticed that they were different.

Hmmm just googled a few pics of the aliens and compared the ones from different movies. I never noticed that they were different.

Alien 3's xenomorph was darker in color than previous incarnations and I suppose that could be attributed to just different effects companies, but I read something that said this was the case that the dog alien had canine DNA rather than human and so it acted differently.

Archived