Hondo's Bar

Matrix Reloaded

Imax sounds great. I wonder a bit about it tho. Um, hopefully the movies wont be over two hours long cause then they'd have to cut em. For example, they chopped twenty minutes out of apollo 13, and spared us from 20 minutes of dialogue in Episode 2. Matrix Reloaded is 138 minutes long, imdb says, so they have to cut 20 minutes out of it.. Another sort of pain is that the IMAX aspect ratio is 1.81: 1. Which is pretty much square, like a TV. Now I understand that the machines cant hold a certain amount of film over two hours, but who was the dumb fucker who didn't make the aspect ratio similar to normal movies? Anyways, so you'd also get a third of the picture chopped off that way... So as brilliant as it would look, you have to take into account that you're missing a third of the picture and 20 minutes worth of movie. So, either way, we watch reloaded on smaller screens first, and then do IMAX (now dont you think for a second that a bit of butchering is gonna keep me from seeing it on IMAX). Now, hopefully, they shot matrix revolutions to suit Imax, meaning keeping it under 2 hours and not shooting it in widescreen. But I'm checking imdb and they havent released the length or aspect ratio of revolutions. So, I'm all for Imax, but the wachoiski brothers are apparently ignoring IMAX's limitations as they film it and dealing with cuts later. So I figure IMAX should be a good treat after we see these movies the way they were meant to be seen. I mean, we're gonna see these movies more than once regardless, we might as well see it complete first, then see it again to soak up visuals.

Edited by JunkerSeed

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a plan to me..you cant blame Wachowski bros for not conforming to IMAX's limits, tho - as a director of such a big epic trilogy, would you do it? I mean, im not entirely sure why it cant handle 2+ hours of film, let alone that ratio nonsense (cmon, you know you want the DVD in widescreen..)

But good call, we watch it at Dolphin, then again at IMAX, im all for it.

I have no idea how IMAX machines work, or how long it takes to change a reel. All I know is that so far, you just cant make an IMAX movie over two hours long. I think it's fuckin dumb and I think that as cool as IMAX is, they shoulda maybe refined it more cause it seems REALLY poorly designed. I'm sure that if they would have spent an extra year or so developing the technology, they could have had something that allows for a longer length and even multiple aspect ratios maybe. But anyways, no, no way would I want the Wachowski bros to limit themselves to IMAX regulations, they learned how to make movies (and pretty fuckin well from the looks of it), and it's unfair that they learn a whole new format for the wow factor. It'd be nice if they let people know they aint seeing the whole movie tho. In all of the news announcements of the matrix and IMAX I haven't heard anyone say anything about the cuts they're gonna have to make.

• 2 weeks later...

To the miami crowd (please read if you plan on going to the first screening):

Well, I've picked up my ticket at Dolphin Mall. They have a 10:00pm screening on Wednesday. You might have some trouble with the people behind the counter. The guy gave me a ticket for 12:30pm on Thursday. I had to go to customer service to hav it changed. Turns out, for legal reasons, they have print "Thusrday 10:00pm" on the ticket, but rest assured, it is for Wednesday at 10:00pm. Just buy the ticket and go to customer service to make sure it's the right ticket.

When and where are we meeting up? The line starts getting hella long pretty early, so if anyone's willing to volenteer going early to hold a spot in the line for the group, everyone would I'm sure very much appriciated it. Anyone?

You know you guys read up on these things too much. I knew agent Smith was back but I really didn't know he wasn't connected to the matrix. Maybe this is common knowledge but I sure as hell didn'tk now.

???

Well just got finished watching Matrix prescreening. Pretty good pretty good. Had to wait a whole 7 min for the credits to role after the movie in order to see the trailer for the next one.

The Review

Oh my fucking God, that was an experience! It's keep spoilers to a minimum and leave it at this. The trailers do not give justice the the incredible nature of the action sequences (the two major ones in my book being the fight against all the Smiths and "the chase"). Those scene go on for what seem like forever keeping the adreniline level turned up to eleven. Lots of new characters, only a few of them very interesting (wait til you see the french guy!), but that's ok. This movie was carrying my greatest expectations for a movie every, matched only by Episode 1, but this one delievered and then some.

Now addressing what was my major concern: Can this movie deviler on the philosophical depth and story quaity as the first one did? The answer? This movie takes it up a notch from the first one. A few notchs actually. At the beginning of the movie, you think it's failed at this (actual for about the first two thirds you think this). You think I'm getting hundred times better action but but they've short changed be on complexity and story. But be patience. I understood the story of the Matrix. Not difficult to get. Sure, they was deeper meaning and implications and methapors that I didn't completely get, but the storyt I got. But the time things start getting explained in a certain scene (let's call it the tv screen scene for your purposes), it loses me in the complexity. I'll have to watch it again.

I cannot emphasize this enough: If you, in your entire life, could only have seen one movie on the big screen up to this point, this should be it. This is not a movie to be watched froma downloaded bootleg for the first time. If you want, watch it afterwards on your computer, but this first time will be worth it on the big screen.

Man it's going to rock on Imax.

A major difference between this movie and the previous: This movie is alot sexier. This is a bit of a sexual film, which caught everyone by surprise.

In conclusion: The single greatest movie experience of my life. Period. Go see this movie. All the hype and more! I'd say this was the Empire Strikes Back of our generation, but that doesn't give it fair credit.

And the trailer for The Matrix Revolutions plays at the end of the credits. You'll be glued ot your seat until it plays.

Just to give you an idea of the kind of cliff hanger Reloaded leaves you with, consider this:

I saw The Martix in March of 1999. I saw The Matrix Reloaded in May 2003. I will see The Matrix Revolutions in November 2003. I waited more than 4 years for Reloaded and now I will have to wait less than 6 months for Revolutions. I think the less-than-6-month wait for Revolutions will be harder than the more-than-4-year wait for Reloaded was. This isn't going to be easy.

It was very very very good. Just as good as the first, yet I find it hard for me to say that it was better than the first. I feel a bit short changed on the story of the matrix... its funny when an incredible story is interrupted by the best fight scenes I've ever seen and I find myself a bit upset about it. I have to go watch it again.

Philosophy and katanas; finallly someone else sees the link.

Kee - why did you spoil the Agent Smith thing? That sucked...

Most incredible car chase/fights youre gonna see, Junker mighta had a point about part 2 being a little tighter overall, but transitions & all were good, characterization was fun but much took a backseat to insane action, no complaints at all, id fuckin love to see it again.

PS was that really Roy Jones in the cameo?

PPS Fishbourne's words are much more effective as stoic quiet insights than loud speeches, but damn if the man doesnt have my attention. November cant come quick enough.

First thing's first, great movie. The action scenes raised the bar and have me doing nothing but playing fighting games the day after. They made a concious effort to keep up the philosophical stuff, and it didn't feel shoved in, the fate vs. free will thing and everything else helped keep me watching when asses weren't being kicked, and the philosophy stuff adds to the aesthetics and style of the movie as much as it adds to the depth. Also, it's nice that the movie doesn't take itself too seriously, and it's also cool that they didn't just blatantly throw in a character for comic releif, the chocolate cake scene is a cool example of this.

Spoilers in here

I'm pretty sure I liked the first one more tho. Like IC said, I just thought that the first one was a tighter movie. There wasn't one wasted scene or line of dialogue that I wasn't paying full attention to. In reloaded, the overall plot of the Machines reaching Zion really didn't seem that urgent to me, and when they did reach Zion, I didn't care very much. As a result, a good part of the time they had scenes in Zion, I was kind of hoping that they'd just hop into the Matrix already. I thought that the thing between Morpheus, Noibe, and Commander lock was sort of extraneous, and I really could have cared less. Once they started hopping into the matrix tho, and the real story got underway (neo and them trying to fulfill the prophecy) my worries flew out the window. But even though they upped the ante on the action and got more complex with the philosophical stuff, I just think the first one was more focused. Makes sense though, Reloaded was a bigger and more ambitious movie and they had a lot of stuff to cram into it, so they bit off a bit more than they could chew. Don't get me wrong tho, I loved it, and it's not another example of shitty sequels just because I didn't like it as much as they first. It's a great sequel. And as far as I'm concerned, it's not the second part of a trilogy as much as it's the first part of a big ass sequel. This movie had a very different tone from the first one, it was very epic feeling, and it seems like the next one will be along the same lines. And I'm fucking dying to see the next one.

wtf are you talking about man. I found out he was unplugged by reading chief's post a few pages back. Oh well. I have to admit the fight with the smiths was bad ass. I went to go see it again just for that.

I kinda agree with you Nick Fish doesnt' need to make a loud speech.

Did anyone realize that car chase was 14 min?

By the was I was thinking if they could make a movie with this lvl of special effects...... what would a dragon ball z movie be like with the same special effects. something I thought about while at work.

So it's safe to say that other than the amazing fight scenes, the movie's plot is descent?  (without spoiling please let me know about this)

Well, think of like this. You split up the plot into two parts. The first being the actual storytelling, the very basics, as in a good story is a good story, and the second being the intelligence and depth. I thought that story was fun and different from the first one (so many sequels can't help but be reharshes and this one was a true continuation). The depth adn philosophy of it was not as good as in the first movie. They actually got very deep and complex, more so than the first one, but they kinda dumped it all on you over 5 minutes towards the end, making it overwhelming whiel the first one spends it out nicely throughout the film. The bar was set high, but without comparing to the first one, it definitely ruled.

And Kee, you have to realize, this movie was more just the result of incredible technology. IT was the result of years and years of manhours of work. I mean, you could work forever improving the quality of paints and brushs, but you still need a talented artist to use the tools, and with this movie I was more impressed with how the used the technology, not the technology itself. What I'm trying to say is that just because the technology to make The Matrix Reloaded is available doesn't mean DBZ would look as good.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

I just went with my dad to go see Matrix today and it kicked ass. It had all the things i was hoping for. Action, Suspence, and Boobies!!!!

It wasnt worth sitting through 20 minutes of seeing who Mr. Reeves driver and Mr. Reeves drivers boss to see a 10 second preview

And what about all the hard work put in by the 2nd assistant boom stick holder? Somebody has to get coffee for the guy who gets coffee for the guy who holds the boom stick, and he deserves your full attention during the credits.

Well, word is in. The Matrix Reloaded has scored the second all time highest ever opening weekend with $93 million, compared to Spider-Man's $117 million, also making ti the all time highest opening weekend for an R-rated movie, which semi-significant as that does coutn down on your audience. All and all, not bad. Most movie with huge opening weekend see a major drop off the second week due to the fact that everyone's seen it already. I don't anticipate that with The Matrix Reloaded. They're be a drop off, un doubtably, but except it to stay at #1 for at least another week.