Hondo's Bar

Comic Industry News

The NZA

• 2 weeks later...

OOOk. I just got caught up on things. Lot of stuff blew me away, some stuff made me bitter and some made me want to shoot the writers.

This info is all over the place so this seemed like the best place to put it.

WARNING GIGANTIC, HUMONGOUS, SUPER-DUPER-UBER SPOILERS AHOY!

Iron Man 25

Iron Man's new armor looks awesome.

X-Force 26: Second Coming ch.5

Nightcrawler is killed by Bastion saving Hope's life. Sad but I'm slightly glad simply because he's been over hyped as of late. Besides, He'll just get resurrected again anyway (possibly by Hope herself).

Thunderbolts 143

The Thunderbolts are disbanded. Ghost help Cho repair Vision. Paladin, left with the Odin spear to keep it safe, Ant-Man have Headsman's Axe to his brother and told him he was a hero. Quick Silver beat the ever-loving-crap out of Mr. X, and Stature crushed Scourge/Nuke. Ends with Luke Cage going to recruit the new Thunderbolts.

New Avengers 64

The Hood lost the Nord stones (his new power source since Dr. Voodoo sealed Dormammu) to Loki who gave them to the Avengers to help fight Sentry/Void.

Mighty Avengers 36

Sentry/Void killed Loki. I can't wait to see Bob get pwned by a kid (Phobos) in Siege 4.

Nova 36

Quasar's doppelganger was taken out and the real Quasar is back (and looking spiff). Little creatures are taking over the minds of people so Nova is heading into the tare.

Guardians of the Galaxy 25

Phyla-Vell is dead and Thanos lives. Moondragon, Cosmo and Mantis combined couldn't crack his mind. It took Star Lord's last bit of energy from his cosmic cube to "Stun" Thanos (cube destroyed afterwords). Nova and GotG are over :shady: , The Thanos Imperative is going to be epic.

EDIT: Fixed as of Lycaon's request. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by Genroh

Actually Thanos might turn out to be the good guy in this. The Magus w/ the H.P. Lovecraft fault in space and time and Maelstrom w/ Oblivion in the background are WAY bigger threats. Check out the War of Kings and Realm of Kings stories. Serious shit been happening in outer space.

Mark Millar is starting a new magazine and using it to premier Kick-Ass 2: Balls To the Wall.

Full article here.

The debut issue, which goes on sale in September in the United Kingdom, will feature the launch of his sequel to Kick-Ass -- Kick-Ass 2: Balls to the Wall -- as well as contributions by TV presenter/comics writer Jonathan Ross (Turf) and comedian Frankie Boyle. The 100-page magazine will include interviews and features about movies, television and games, as well as four serialized comics.
On his message board, Millar underscored that CLiNT is "aimed almost entirely at the UK."

"It's obviously massively exciting and I've been secretly working on it for a little while with some people I'm very excited about," he wrote. "Some huge names coming down the pipe-line and the cream of UK journalist talent like Steve O'Brien on for features and interviews. All in all, very cool and I'll talk about this in a little more detail closer to the time. But this is one of the reasons I've been spending a lot of time in London lately. I want to make this big, a cultural phenomenon and a showcase in parts for the UK talent I don't feel has a wide platform anymore here."

Millar is also launching his sequel to the hit Kick-Ass movie in the first issue of the comic. "Kick-Ass 2: Balls To The Wall" has been scheduled for production in 2011 for a 2012 cinema release, but fans of the first movie can find out what happens two years in advance by picking up CLiNT.

The 100-page magazine will be packed with interviews and features from movies, games and television as well as four serialized comic-strips. The biggest names in entertainment will be featured every month and some will even be sticking around to write sci-fi, humour or horror stories after they’ve been interviewed and quizzed.

“We can’t say who else is involved at this stage,” says Millar. “Jonathan, Frankie and I will have our stories serialized over the first six months, but we have the most insane line-up of creators ready to come in and join us. You’d be amazed how many people who work in film and television want to be comic-book writers. It’s very exciting and we think we’re creating something potentially enormous here.”

Further information on who is involved can be found at twitter.com/clintmag, where future developments will be revealed on a regular basis.

so instead of continuing the actual comic he is just writing the sequel to the movie? I know alot of stuff was changed, but that seems kind of redundant right?

From what I can gather, that's exactly what he's doing. I haven't seen the movie, I figure I'll check it out on DVD.

Spoilers pertain to next to last issue

I heard that Big Daddy is actually an ex-cop in the film. They seemed to do the typical movie thing that I hate where they water down anything that isn't palatable to the masses. Big Daddy is not a good person. He's an asshole who kidnapped his daughter and brainwashed her to feel no remorse because he wasn't happy with his station in life.

From everything I've read they took the teeth out a lot that I enjoyed about the book, so I'm not really in a hurry to see it.

Millar gets many demerits for being intimately involved from the beginning and not putting his foot down.

it seems like he made the compromises to keep Hit-Girl awesome, cause they had her down to a tee. with him writing a sequel to the movie it seems like he'll write a cool 2nd part which'll probably be darker. it'll get picked up inevitably to be the ACTUAL movie sequel, then warped again to be a different movie. so its like changing the story 3 times. thats what I imagine what would happen anyway. he should write the actual movie script and just continue kick-ass the comic.

juz bootleggd dat new iron man moovi. dat shyt wuz wack. fayv chactr wz war mashene

Whatta you expect, Pete? Favreu & Goyer are in a bidding war over the rights to make the Pendulum movie. I hear Matthew McConaughey refuses to leave his trailer until he's guaranteed the part of Shaggy. No word on Violent J yet but word is Morgan Freeman's been expressing interest.

I really enjoyed Kick-Ass the comic, then I went to see the movie and I loved that (

Big Daddy is given a bit more of a sympathetic turn in the movie, but he's still a fucking asshole who brainwashed his daughter. He draws comic books for her to read so she'll know who to kill, when, and why. Kick-Ass actually gets the girl in this one, but the key difference in this is that he reveals his secret identity which I think probably would've gotten him pussy in the comic too.

), and I went back and read the comic again. This hurts me deep down in my urethra, but I think I'm starting to agree with Jay. Then again I've began developing a slowly growing hatred of Mark Millar as of late, I really have no clue why. (Or rather I know why, I just don't know why it never bugged me before)

Frank Frazetta, Illustrator, Dies at 82;

Helped Define Comic Book Heroes

Source

Frank Frazetta, an illustrator of comic books, movie posters and paperback book covers whose visions of musclebound men fighting with swords and axes to defend scantily dressed women helped define fantasy heroes like Conan, Tarzan and John Carter of Mars, died on Monday in Fort Myers, Fla. He was 82.

The cause was complications from a stroke, said Rob Pistella and Stephen Ferzoco, Mr. Frazetta’s business managers.

Mr. Frazetta was a versatile and prolific comic book artist who, in the 1940s and ’50s, drew for comic strips like Al Capp’s “Lil’ Abner” and comic books like “Famous Funnies,” for which he contributed a series of covers depicting the futuristic adventurer Buck Rogers.

A satirical advertisement Mr. Frazetta drew for Mad earned him his first Hollywood job, the movie poster for “What’s New Pussycat?” (1965), a sex farce written by Woody Allen that starred Peter Sellers. In 1983 he collaborated with the director Ralph Bakshi to produce the animated film “Fire and Ice.”

His most prominent work, however, was on the cover of book jackets, where his signature images were of strikingly fierce, hard-bodied heroes and bosomy, callipygian damsels in distress. In 1966, his cover of “Conan the Adventurer,” a collection of four fantasy short stories written by Robert E. Howard and L. Sprague de Camp, depicted a brawny long-haired warrior standing in repose on top of a pile of skeletons and other detritus, his sword thrust downward into the mound, an apparently naked young woman lying at his feet, hugging his ankle.

The cover created a new look for fantasy adventure novels and established Mr. Frazetta as an artist who could sell books. He illustrated many more Conan books (including “Conan the Conqueror,” “Conan the Usurper” and “Conan the Avenger”) and works by Edgar Rice Burroughs (including “John Carter and the Savage Apes of Mars” and “Tarzan and the Antmen”).

“Paperback publishers have been known to buy one of his paintings for use as a cover, then commission a writer to turn out a novel to go with it,” The New York Times reported in 1977, the same year that a collection of his drawings, “The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta,” sold more than 300,000 copies.

Frank Frazzetta was born in Brooklyn on Feb. 9, 1928, and as a boy studied painting at a local art school. (Early in his career, he excised one z from his last name because “with one z it just looked better,” Mr. Pistella said. “He said the two z’s and two t’s was too clumsy.”)

Mr. Frazetta began drawing for comic books of all stripes — westerns, mysteries, fantasies — when he was still a teenager. He was also a good enough baseball player to try out for the New York Giants.

The popularity of Mr. Frazetta’s work coincided with the rise of heavy metal in the early 1970s, and his otherworldly imagery showed up on a number of album covers, including Molly Hatchet’s “Flirtin’ With Disaster” and Nazareth’s “Expect No Mercy.” Last year, Kirk Hammett, the lead guitarist for Metallica, bought Mr. Frazetta’s cover artwork for the paperback reissue of Robert E. Howard’s “Conan the Conqueror” for $1 million.

Mr. Frazetta married Eleanor Kelly, known as Ellie, in 1956. She served as his occasional model and as his business partner; in 2000 she started a small museum of her husband’s work on their property in East Stroudsburg, Pa. She died last year.

Mr. Frazetta is survived by three sisters, Carol, Adel and Jeanie; two sons, Alfonso Frank Frazetta, known as Frank Jr., and William Frazetta, both of East Stroudsburg; two daughters, Heidi Grabin, of Englewood, Fla., and Holly Frazetta, of Boca Grande, Fla.; and 11 grandchildren.

After Ellie Frazetta’s death, her children became embroiled in a custodial dispute over their father’s work, and in December, Frank Jr. was arrested on charges of breaking into the family museum and attempting to remove 90 paintings that had been insured for $20 million. In April, the family said the dispute over the paintings had been resolved, and the Monroe County, Pa., district attorney said he would drop the charges.

:wink:

This makes me very sad.

Frank-Frazetta-Self-Portrait.jpg

More Heroic Age Avengers news!

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.12524....colon~_avengers

Also Siege 4 is out...

Fuck Bendis!

If I say anything else, it'll be too big a spoiler.

And for those that still remember Hulk and the Fall of Hulks arc going on. Hulk 22 and Incredible Hulk 609 are out and the identities of the Red Hulk/She Hulk are revealed. Seriously don't look if it's highlighted in black. Spoilers!->

Betty was obvious, but Ross caught me by surprise.

Edited by Genroh