Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

Okay - this is gonna be a big one so get ready for a read-a-thon...

MAN-THING

When I say "Giant Sized Man Thing" I don't mean the one hiding in my pantalons, I'm talking about the Marvel comic, and it looks like the movie could be coming sooner than was thought...August 27th 2004 sooner...and not only that it looks like the straight to video thing was thrown out the window.

ManThingPoster.jpg

Here be the Press Release...

Artisan Entertainment will bring "Man-Thing", a collaboration between Marvel Studios and Fierce Entertainment, based on the popular Marvel Comics' character, to theatres nationwide on August 27, 2004. The announcement made by Marvel Studios CEO Avi Arad, Artisan Pictures' President of Production Richard Saperstein, Artisan Entertainment Executive Vice President Patrick Gunn and Fierce Entertainment's CEO Christopher Petzel comes as the project wraps production ahead of schedule following an incredibly successful eight-week shoot.

Adapted to the screen by Hans Rodionoff from the original 1970's Marvel comic book character and directed by Brett Leonard, "Man-Thing" was produced by Marvel Studios and Fierce Entertainment in association with German equity fund Screenland Movieworld.

Marvel's terrifying creature of the swamp, "Man-Thing" screams onto our screens in the new horror motion picture that presents a very different kind of character to the usual Marvel superhero. Based on the cult comic book series that was first published in 1971, the "Man-Thing" is a vengeful creature born from the evil and injustices perpetrated against both man and nature.

"'Man-Thing' has been an unbelievably exciting project for us. We have always felt that this character's story would translate incredibly well to the big screen as it mixes horrifying action with a truly mesmerizing and frightful anti-hero," said Mr. Arad. "Brett is seen as one of the true pioneers in the creation of revolutionary computer-generated and mechanical effects and we now seen first-hand why. His powerful creative vision has helped bring this character to life in a thoroughly compelling manner - so much that we have decided to fast track it for release next summer, fully confident in its worldwide appeal."

Commented Mr. Gunn, "Uncharacteristic of the typical Marvel characters brought to life on the big screen, 'Man-Thing' brings a chilling component not previously showcased in Marvel comic based films. We feel this film impressively introduces 'Man-Thing' in a manner that will really thrill the viewing public ."

"Man-Thing" is directed by effects pioneer Brett Leonard, whose talents in the horror Sci-Fi genre have been proven by motion pictures such as groundbreaking visual effects thriller "The Lawnmower Man" and "Virtuosity" starring Academy-Award winners Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington. He also directed one of the most successful Imax projects ever, the 3-D "T-Rex Back to the Cretaceous," which grossed over US$100 million worldwide.

Director Brett Leonard, Fierce Entertainment and Marvel Studios assembled a truly outstanding team of professionals in bringing "Man-Thing" to life. The film was shot by award-winning Director of Photography Steve Arnold ("Terra Nova", "La Spagnola"). Production design was handled by Peter Pound (storyboards for "Babe" and Alex Proyas' "Dark City") and Tim Ferrier ("Farscape"), while the substantial visual effects work is being performed by Omnilab and Rising Sun ("The Core", "Queen of The Damned"). Special effects and prosthetics work was provided by The Make-Up Effects Group ("The Matrix" and "Babe").

The ensemble cast include Australian icon Jack Thompson ("Original Sin", "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", "Broken Arrow"), whose breakout role in the feature film "Breaker Morant" directed by Bruce Beresford earned him numerous accolades including Best Supporting Actor at the Cannes Film Festival and an AFI Award for Best Actor, and acclaimed New Zealand actor Rawiri Paratene who excited critics around the world with his performance in the recent independent hit "Whale Rider".

The cast also features newcomers Matt Le Nevez ("Garage Days" diected by Alex Proyas), Rachel Taylor ("Natalie Wood - Hollywood's Last Child" by Peter Bogdanavich), and Steve Bastoni ("The Matrix Reloaded", "Enter The Matrix").

Producer Avi Arad is President and CEO of Marvel Studios. Following the record-breaking success of the box office smash hit, "Spider-Man" (Columbia Pictures), and the establishment of two more proven franchises in his first Marvel features - "Blade" (New Line) and X-Men: The Movie (Twentieth Century Fox) - Arad has numerous film projects based on Marvel super heroes in various stages of development. He has aligned Marvel with several prominent studios to produce full-feature films including: Twentieth Century Fox ("X-Men 2", "The Silver Surfer", "Fantastic Four", "Daredevil," and "Elektra"), Sony Pictures ("Spider-Man 2", "Ghost Rider"), Universal Studios ("The Hulk", "Namor"), New Line ("Iron Man"), Dimension ("Werewolf By Night", "Dr. Strange"), Artisan Entertainment ("The Punisher") and Paramount ("Deathlok"). His reputation has attracted some of Hollywood's most prestigious directors (i.e. Sam Raimi, Ang Lee and Bryan Singer) and writers who are helping translate the ever-popular Marvel super heroes for the big screen.

"Man-Thing" was shot completely on location in Sydney, Australia. Specific locations included Wiseman's Ferry, Serenity Cove Studios at Kurnell for exterior swamp scenes and Homebush Bay where an elaborate supernatural swamp environment was created on a sound stage.

Artisan Entertainment Inc. is the leading independent producer and distributor of theatrical, television and home entertainment product. The company coordinates its business activities through two wholly owned operating divisions, Artisan Pictures and Artisan Home Entertainment. The Artisan Pictures division is responsible for the development, production, marketing and distribution of the company's annual slate of theatrical films. The Artisan Home Entertainment division has an extensive library of over 7,000 titles, which includes its own properties, as well as a wide spectrum of films from Academy Award winning classics to blockbusters and cult favorites.

Fierce Entertainment, LLC is an entertainment financing and production company formed in early 2001 by Christopher Petzel. The company has executive produced a number of feature films and provided transaction advisory services to leading entertainment companies around the world. Fierce Entertainment has arranged over US$40 million of production financing and advised on over US$100 million of corporate entertainment transactions. For additional information visit http://www.fierce-entertainment.com.

Marvel Enterprises, Inc. is a leading global character-based entertainment company that has developed and owns a library of more than 4,700 characters, which have entertained generations around the world for over 60 years. Marvel's operations are focused in entertainment and consumer product licensing and comic book publishing. Marvel Studios supports the development of feature films, DVD/video products and TV series. Marvel's creative team also supports the creation of video games and toy lines based on its characters as well as for a broad and growing range of consumer products and services including apparel, collectibles, foods and promotions. Marvel's comic book division is a leading publisher in the global marketplace while also serving as an invaluable source of intellectual property. Marvel's Toy Biz division is a recognized creative force and leader in toy design, sales and marketing, developing and overseeing both licensee and in-house toy lines. For additional information visit http://www.marvel.com.

Did ya notice all the Marvel movies that were on the way (The Silver Surfer, The Fantastic Four, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Namor, Iron Man, Werewolf By Night, Dr. Strange - not mentioning the obvious ones)? Avi Arad's gonna be a busy little tinker. Marvel better start making up some new characters before they run out. "Speedball: The Motion Picture" here we come. I hear that Scorsese is already thinking about directing it.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR

Here be a pic by Steve Skroch, who did stuff for the Matrix, that may show us what Dr. Doom'll look like...

docdoom.gif

ALIEN VS. PREDATOR

Yeah, yeah, yeah..not strictly a comic-book movie - but hey their first "team-up" was in comic books so it's going here. Anyways...Click Here for the Trailer (Enjoy!).

Batman 5

From "Ain't it Cool"

Just got a scoop from a source within the Batcave...the producers are looking at a few high level actors for a few of the supporting roles. It looks like they are focused on Morgan Freeman for a "Dr./Scientist" role. What this role is, I don't know for sure...but it's possibly one of the main villian roles. And get this.....they are considering Anthony Hopkins for "Alfred". Looks like they are cleaning house and not letting anyone (ie: Michael Gough) from the past 2 crapfests near this baby...This much is certain from my source...this is a fresh start for the Caped Crusader!

Yeah, I heard that bit about Anthony Hopkins as Alfred. Dunno if it'll happen. Luckily Anthony Hopkins is one of those great guys who never buys into his own hype, so he won't be like "oh, I'm too important for a comic book movie". In fact, he was all set to play Superman's father when Brett Ratner was doing that movie, but he dropped out with Ratner. Anyway, he'd be an interesting choice, but it'll be difficult to get a Batman who can go toe to toe with him. Last I heard they were still going with Christian Bale......I dunno. I guess that might work.

Christian Bale was the guy from Equilibrium, if you were one of the seven people who saw that movie.

I think ofalfred assuper thin and lacky. Hopkins is incredible, but doesn't fit therole physically IMO. Hopkins doesn'tbuy into his hype as far as whether he'd go for a comic book movie, but I doubt he'd take on a minor role like Alfred's unless they made that role much bigger than it normally is.

Bale's probably most famous for playing Patrick Bateman in "American Psycho". He also played the bad honkey in John Singleton's "Shaft" (wow - that's a movie in itself) and was the main feller in "Reign of Fire" which was seen by 11 people, including those seven that saw "Equilibrium". Anyways news...

BATMAN

The title of the new Batman movie is out of the bag. Superherohype has confirmed with Pinewood/Shepperton studios that "Intimidation Game" will be the title. Dynamic Forces notes that wrestler Edge is up for the role of Egghead in the Christopher Nolan-directed movie. Bane-tastic!

FANTASTIC FOUR

Filmjerk has a script review of the latest draft of the FF film (click hizzere), still looking for a December 2004 release. The review is heavy with spoilers and details of the plot, and has a generally positive opinion of the work, loves Ben Grimm but finds Victor Von Doom "creepy" and worries that some of the good Doctor's work will be left on the cutting room floor.

BLADE: TRINITY

Here's New Line's description of the flick...

Wesley Snipes returns as the day-walking vampire hunter in the explosive third and final film in the Blade franchise, Blade: Trinity. When the Vampire Nation hatches a plan to frame Blade in a series of brutal killings, he must join forces with the Nightstalkers, a clan of human vampire hunters, in an extreme battle in which the trail of blood leads directly to the notorious vampire legend, Dracula. Written and directed by David S. Goyer, Blade: Trinity also stars Jessica Biel as Abigail, the daughter of Whistler (Kris Kristofferson), who inherits the vampire-slaying duties that once belonged to Blade (Wesley Snipes); and Ryan Reynolds (National Lampoon's Van Wilder) as Hannibal King, one of the Nightstalkers.

Christian Bale was the guy from Equilibrium, if you were one of the seven people who saw that movie.

I think ofalfred assuper thin and lacky. Hopkins is incredible, but doesn't fit therole physically IMO. Hopkins doesn'tbuy into his hype as far as whether he'd go for a comic book movie, but I doubt he'd take on a minor role like Alfred's unless they made that role much bigger than it normally is.

I agree, Hopkins doesn't have the physical look that we normally associate with the character, but if anyone could still pull it off, it's him. And he was willing to play Jor-El in the Superman movie. Jor-El is only in the opening scene, that's a much smaller role than that of Alfred ('sides, unlike Jor-El, Alfred always gets the best lines). Plus, do you remember his tiny role in Mission Impossible 2? If he was willing to do that...

An' I'm one of the seven who saw Equilibrium. I thought that was a great movie. I'm also one of the sad few who knew that "you want my shoes" line was from Bale's role in Shaft.

Edited by Silent Bob

THE PUNISHER

Well the real trailer is online now and will be in the movies tomorrow. Click Hizzere for the Shizzle. Looks like emotion - family *boom!* *bang!* *blast!* emotion - Joan *boom!* *blast!* emotion - Joan II *boom!* *bang!* ohhh the Russia..*slap!*...etc

But it is "The Punisher" so that's all gravy. I went all fanboyish when I saw the Russian looking exactly like his comic counter-part. Didn't hear him speak though...hmmmm...looks like a decent supporting cast too.

I just hope it's not Hulk-Cock.

"This is not Revenge - it's Punishment"

X-MEN 3

Sci Fi Wire talked to James Marsden about his involvement in the brewing plans for an "X3." He confirms that producers have talked to him about reprising his role as "Slim" Summers, but he hasn't been made privy to the story outline that's being bandied about. He also says that fans have talked to him, expressing interest in seeing the Dark Phoenix Saga come to the silver screen. "I interviewed some of these fans, and they'd very much like that to happen. I guess that would include me a lot, because she'd become super cosmic and evil. So that would be an interesting dichotomy, to have Hugh Jackman [Wolverine] and [me] team up to stop her." Marsden added that he's still eager to play the title character in director Rachel Talalay's proposed film adaptation of the Preacher comic book series. Meanwhile, Halle Berry sat down with Moviehole and said that neither the Bond spin off "Jinx" nor a third X-Men movie are on her radar right now. "I think it's going to be time for me to make some decisions about how many of these women I can really be. I have these serious choices that I have to make coming up soon, and I don't know if that will be one of them."

For the sake of continuity, I'd hate to see Berry leave the series. But then again, she hasn't really done much for the role. But then again again, it's not liek the two first script gave her much to work with.

I say if they don't want to make the script have a big role for storm, arrange the shooting schedule so she'd only have to be on set for like a week and sweeten it with a nice big salary. Maybe that would convince her.

I say if they don't want to make the script have a big role for storm, arrange the shooting schedule so she'd only have to be on set for like a week and sweeten it with a nice big salary. Maybe that would convince her.

That's practically what they did in the first place.

I say if she doesn't wanna do it, just remove the Storm character from the next movie entirely. I hate when they have two different actors playing the same character, it just makes it impossible to see it as the same person (Jack Ryan movies, for instance).

A big one today...

WOLVERINE

Producer Lauren Shuler Donner said that a new X-3 will be followed by a Wolverine spin-off. "The ideal thing will be to do Wolverine after X-Men 3 and that's what we plan to do," Shuler Donner said. "We'll probably develop Wolverine at the same time, but we'll do X-3 then we'll do Wolverine." Origin anyone?

CONSTANTINE

More Lauren Shuler Donner. "Basically, Keanu sends demons to hell in this one, The twist is that he goes there too to make sure the job is done." Donner told Sci Fi Wire that this won't be an origin story, but Garth Ennis' "Dangerous Habits" storyline from the Vertigo series. So between this and the Punisher it looks like Ennis work is getting filmed left, right and centre. If both perform well "Preacher" might be on the way...I just hope they get rid of Tallalay and keep with Smith and Mosier...

THE PUNISHER

There's a "Punisher" feature as well as a load of new photos here.

BATMAN

Countindown.com loves the newsstand -- they also checked out an issue of Wizard with a David Goyer interview. Goyer is the screenwriter for the Christopher Nolan-directed Batman flick, "Intimidation Game." Goyer said, "I have never been happy with any of the 'Batman' movies. They got some things right, but I was always disappointed, and I don't think that there's been anything even close to a definitive 'Batman' film. What was interesting for me, working on ['Batman'], is that on one hand, I was in the trenches working and on the other hand, I was this kid going, 'Oh my God, I can't believe that they're letting us do this because it's everything that I ever wanted to see in a big, sweeping, epic superhero movie.'" When asked about Christian Bale, Goyer replied, "Bale is an excellent choice...I think the fans should be doing cartwheels. Face it, the guy was born to play Bruce/Batman."

HELLBOY

Well they've unveiled the teaser poster and here it is...

poster.jpg

Cool lookin, innit?

!! Ok....

Wolverine - Jackman already said he's down, he's been reading Origin & the Miller/Claremont original mini-series. I'm not sure which of Wolvy's stories would work best on the big screen, but the idea of a solo movie at all.. :D

Constantine - I wasnt aware they were going for a loose version of "Dangerous Habits", that's really somethin. Im not sure why Reeves has a "sidekick", but im more hopeful anyway.

As for Preacher, again, im rubbernecking that one. If it never makes it out, that's ok with me too.

Batman could really be somethin; i was sad to see David Aronousky lifted off the project but this one really sounds like its got a chance at greatness so far, Bale looks good, Anthony Hopkins is rumored for Alfred, and Ra's Al Ghoul could be a really great villian if written right - finally, play up the detective angle!

Hellboy - Dammit, another one i should read before it makes it out. :D

good one, 2T, thanks man.

finally, play up the detective angle!

Yeah, last I checked, he was supposed to be the world's greatest detective, but they never really mentioned that.

I'm also hoping they get rid of the body armor. Poor Bats could barely move in those other suits, and god forbid he should have to turn his head for something. They should take a look at what they did for Daredevil's costume, or even that Batman: Dead End student film, to see how the costume can be done right and give Bats the flexibility he has in the comics.

And damn they really nailed the look to Hellboy, I'm impressed. I thought those characters and visuals would be unfilmable.

More Newsarama: slightly more reliable than AintItCoolNews.

Marvel’s report also listed its upcoming film releases:

The Punisher Artisan Entertainment April 16, 2004

Spider-Man 2 Sony/Columbia July 2, 2004

Blade 3 New Line Cinema August 12, 2004

Man-Thing Fierce/Artisan August 26, 2004

Fantastic Four Fox December 24, 2004

Films/characters in active development, according to Marvel, include:

X-Men 3 Fox Film

The Hulk 2 Universal Pictures Film

Namor Universal Pictures Film

Elektra New Regency / Fox Film

Iron Man New Line Cinema Film

Ghost Rider Sony Film

DeathLok Crystal Sky/ Paramount Pictures Film

Blade Animation MTV TV

During Marvel’s conference call, Avi Arad said that he wished to clear up some misinformation about Marvel’s relationship with Artisan, stating that the studio (which was just acquired by Lion’s Gate) does not have “15 Marvel properties.” The only property Artisan has any stake in currently is Punisher. Arad said that if things go well between Artisan and Lion’s Gate, Marvel may expand and/or continue their relationship with the studio. Arad stressed that, despite reports, Artisan does not have the rights to Iron Fist and Black Panther.

Other topics mentioned by Arad included:

- Spider-Man 2 just completed principle photography

- Iron Man is targeted to be a PG-13 release and on target for a ’05 release.

- Elektra, which is in current development, will be the “sequel” to Daredevil, with the character first appearing there, and then be reunited with Daredevil in Daredevil 2.

- Marvel is “feverishly” working on Fantastic Four with Fox, and that the studio has it on it's schedule for December 2004.

- Hulk 2 is in development for an 06 release. Arad reported that 6.5 million DVDs shipped for the release, and 3.5 sold within seven days.

- Namor is in active development.

- Arad said that X-Men 3 is in development, but neither Marvel or Fox is willing to tentetively put it on the schedule yet, for either 05 or 06 release.

- Arad reported that Captain America is in discussion with top writers and directors, now that litigation surrounding the character has been resolved.

- Arad said that the production budget for Punisher was in the upper $30s, while the marketing budget will most likely be in the mid $20s (millions).

-Finally, Arad said that he should be able to release more information about upcoming Marvel film projects closer to the November 18th analysts' call.

- Spider-Man 2 is already seeing more licensee activity that the first film.

- Marvel is already talking to, and negotiating with licensees for Fantastic Four.

- Marvel will be working to expand its worldwide licensing business, and as such, will be opening offices in Europe and Japan to further licensee relationships internationally. The offices should be opening within the next 60 days.

-Man-Thing was named as the intial fruit of the company's strategic review - a low-budget film with Marvel creative support which may be the model for many Marvel properties in the future. Marvel acknowledged that the film will have very limited licensing, but it could spawn sequels.

-Final monies due in from Spider-Man are related to television and cable rights for the film. Revenue from those deals is expected in 2004.

-Spider-Man 2 merchandise rollout should begin in early Q1 2004 and will build through to the release of the film.