Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

Colin Farrell as Batman in Bats vs. Supes was just a rumor. Same as the one about Jude Law playing Superman. There hasn't been a single actor to sign on, yet, and while those two may be considered, they have yet to be approached about it...officially, anyway. Last I heard Bats vs. Supes has been dumped to the "Yeah that'd be a good idea, let's do that eventually" file of the Warner Bros. offices. They've still got what is supposed to be a phenominal script, and Wolfgang Peterson supposedly directing, but not much else.

Year One is about in that same file, by the way. Then there's the Superman movie which seems to have also hit a few snags. McG is no longer directing (shame because, even though Charlie's Angels wasn't a great movie, it showed that he had some decent talent as a movie director) and has been replaced with the less-than-impressive Brett Ratner.

Oh, and then The Frightening. Don't be so sure about anything you hear about this movie. The script has been floating around the internet for a couple months now with credits from writers who insist that they never wrote it. So that kinda makes anything about that movie open to suspicion, if you ask me.

Anyway, aside from that...everyone else catch the most recent Daredevil trailer? Niiiiiiiice.

Edited by Silent Bob

Ah...thanks for the help Bob. Yeah im not puttin a lot of stock into "Aint-it-cool news" info on DC movies here...

The only reason im mentioning the Batman: Year One flick being canned is because Comic Book Resources.com mentioned it, and they seem pretty reliable.

According to The Xenos, DC Comics editor Bob Greenberger was on hand for a panel discussion and dished a little bit about the Batman movie franchise. Greenberger stated that the much-rumored new script, Batman: The Frightening is now the most viable candidate for the next Batman movie. As has been previously reported, the story involves the villain known as The Scarecrow.

Greenberger reportedly told the crowd that Aronofsky's Year One project is "gone." However, The Xenos tells us that Greenberger also admitted that Frank Miller may still be working on either Year One, The Frightening.

So it sounds like Year One might still be around, but without Aronofsky, which makes me sad.

Also, the big Hulk trailer that's supposed to show in tomorrow's superbowl commercials has leaked to the web, they report, so check Kazaa if you dont wanna wait till tomorrow.

PS ..just to fuck with people...

According to various Internet sites. Ashton Kutcher, star of the recently released Just Married as well as Dude Where’s My Car and That 70s Show is in contention for the part for the Superman film currently in development.

Comics2Film wanted to find out if there was any truth that Kutcher was a candidate for Superman’s S Shield. Sources close to Kutcher told C2F that the actor is interested in the part, like almost every male actor in Hollywood. However any other talk besides that is just rumors. C2F’s source said that the actor has not auditioned or had any meetings for the part at this point.

Do you mean the guy who played Donnie Darko, Jake Gyllenhall or something? I say give him all the movie roles ever, great actor.

Wrote an article for my uni magazine about the comic/film crossover. I'm really looking forward to Daredevil and another Daniel Clowes adaption, Art School Confidential. With Daredevil does anyone know if they are doing origin stuff or jumping straight to the story. I read 'The Man without Fear' recently and loved it, very cool and definitely shopuld be in the movie (altho Affleck would look a bit out of place as a law student I suspect).

There's a background/origin story. They so him as a kid becomign blind, training, honing his sense, gettign the radar sense. The Ben Affleck part of the story he's already a lawyer, not a law student. And yes, him, Jake Gyllenhall, he'd make a good Olsen. You'd think Spider-MAn would have should studio gettign a good spript and casting good actor would yeild in high revenue, but NO, they startign looking into Aston Kutchner for a Superman movie.

The Man without Fear was a great origin recap by Frank Miller, good call. You should check out Daredevil Yellow by Jeff Loeb one day.

Yeah like all comic movies in a planned series, there's origin but look how many characters theyre cramming in here....anyway the director said for the next part he might use a Miller/Kevin Smith storyline, but he'd have to introduce new characters to keep up with this part (i disagree, but at least he wants to borrow from the greats).

Well, they basically absolutely have to have an origin story for this one. I could conceive Spider-Man not having had one, but lots of people have never even heard of Davedevil, let alone know waht he's all about. The point is it looks like they have a good movie here, and it'll make the name Daredevil as known as Spider-Man, or at least Hulk.

'S true, JMT. Not enough people know Daredevil to not cover it. From what I've seen the origin isn't gonna take up much of the movie. Maybe it'll be more like in the Batman movies, where's it's told in flashbacks. Or maybe it'll just take up the very beginning, like Superman...I dunno. The director suggested a few ideas if they make a sequel. The only specific storyline he suggested was Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil, but I doubt they'd do that. I don't think they'd wanna do two heavy Daredevil vs. Bullseye stories in a row. But he also said he'd love to hire Smith to at least write the next script, so maybe that'll happen. That won't be until after they see how the first one does. But, judging by how much they're hyping it, it'll probably have a huge opening.

'Casue of what Bob said: the first movie's gonna have a fair amount of Bullseye in it, it seems, and that's a decent chunk of "Gaurdian Angel". Also, that storyline involves other characters from the Marvel Universe, dont know how well it'd work without a fair amount of backstory...

Hell of a storyline tho, written like it's a movie, practically, so maybe there's a way... SB, you read "Daredevil/Bullseye: Hard Target" yet?

Nah, I still haven't been up and about enough yet to find a decent comic shop around here. Trying to get someone to order for m'birthday, though. And JMT, Smith isn't signed on, yet, that was just a comment by the director. He said that if he were put in charge of a sequel, he'd like to ask Kevin to write the script. Whether or not he'd want a rehashing of Guardian Devil, I dunno. Probably not, because that one would be tough to make. They probably wouldn't want Bullseye in it because...well, if it's like any other comic movie, Bullseye probably dies in the first one. They couldn't mention Spider-man because the rights to him are owned by a different movie studio. And even using Mysterio might be out of the question, because the Spider-man camp might have already laid claim to him (plus it'd be difficult to go into Mysterio's backstory without mentioning the webslinger). On top of all that, it looks like they put some scenes from Guardian Devil into this film (anyone else notice that there seems to be a pretty big Daredevil/Bullseye fight set in a church?). So, as cool as it would be, I don't think that storyline would make it to film. Not the way we know it now, anyways.

By the way, Hulk trailer - Cooooooool. CGI Hulk looks pretty good. Hope they find some way to explain why he always has purple pants, though.

More batman fun! You know at this point, I'm not taking any news too seriously, and I'm just keeping up with the batman news because it's interesting to see how much shit some projects go through before they're finally made, and maybe see what went wrong if the project sucks, or what went right in the other case.

Latest batman news now is that Chrisopher Nolan (memento, insomnia) has been hired to do a batman film. The Batman vs Superman, Year One, and Catwoman projects are out of his juristiction, so it's logical to assume that he'll be doing "The Frightening" with scarecrow and all that.

I guess Aronofsky was too much of a gamble for these guys, but they still wanted one of these "young new promising guys" to revive batman so they went with the safer Nolan. I think the guy's a fine director, Memento was great (though the script had a lot to do with that) and I thought he did a fine job with Insomnia, which had a much worse script than memento, but I still liked because o the subtlety in direction and the performances. I don't know what he'll do with Batman, but it doesn't seem like he'll do anything too radical. I hope he does though. I think it'll take a hell of a director to somehow get the scarecrow to come out as not being goofy in live action.

Of course, for all we fuckin know he'll be dropped in a week and they'll bring ed wood back from the dead to direct or something.

Are you saying the Aronofsky Batman is being canned? I'll be devistated if it is.

Also, another comic film to get excited about is the adaption of the Daniel Clowes story 'Art School Confidential' about an undercover reporter who pretends to be an art student. The stories brilliant as it's uncomfortably close to the truth. More tampons in teacups I reckon.