Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

Sure, why not. It's full of guilty campy pleasures. And were not discriminating quite yet. Let's see, we have (with * by my top evelen picks so far):

Superman Series *

Batman Series (sans B&R) *

Spider-Man *

X-Men *

Blade Series *

Howard The Duck

The Rocketeer

Ghost World *

Road To Perdition *

From Hell

Mystery Men

MIB Series *

Dick Tracy

Conan *

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Series *

Josie And The Pussycats

The Shadow

The Phantom

Punisher

Masters Of The Universe

The Crow *

Tank Girl

Superman Series *

Batman Series (sans B&R) *

Spider-Man *

X-Men *

Blade Series *

Ghost World *

Road To Perdition *

MIB Series *

Conan *

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Series *

The Crow *

Tank Girl

From Hell

Mystery Men

Howard The Duck

Dick Tracy

The Rocketeer

Josie And The Pussycats

The Shadow

The Phantom

Punisher

Masters Of The Universe

The highlighted ones are mostly probably the best choice though I'd drop Conan and the Turtles and put in Mystery Men (but that's just me), remember though to leave room for 'other'.

So between me adn KOS, we have 12 nominees to reduce to 10. If anyone else (only Bob I imagine, or too IC if he finds his way to a computer) wants to say which of the ones we haven't mentioned should make the final ten cut, speak up then. After SB and maybe IC speak up, when reduce it down to ten. I'll take it down to eleven right now and conceed Conan. I know some people are big fans of the Conan movie(s), I just don't know if any of those fans are on this board. I will not conceed TMNT though.

Nah, c'mon, you gotta keep MIB. The first one was a great movie. I think it's a good idea to replace Conan with Mystery Men. If you asked me, TMNT should be replaced with The Rocketeer. I think The Rocketeer was one of the best comic-to-movie adaptions ever done. Actually, maybe Road to Perdition shouldn't be up there. I mean, I think we'll all agree it's a great movie, but it doesn't really fit in with any of the other nominees. It's like asking "what's your favorite beverage? - coke, pepsi, mountain dew, dr pepper, or champagne?" We should make a "favorite mob movie" poll for that'n.

But then it's down to:

Superman Series

Batman Series (sans B&R)

Spider-Man

X-Men

Blade Series

MIB Series

Conan

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Series

The Crow

Mystery Men

The Rocketeer

That's eleven. The one that need to go is probably going to be Conan. So without Conan, that's an even ten. If anyother has any objections, speak now. I'll make this poll at noon tomorrow if I here no objections to this list:

Superman Series

Batman Series (sans B&R)

Spider-Man

X-Men

Blade Series

MIB Series

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Series

The Crow Series

Mystery Men

The Rocketeer

::archs palms of hands as if holding and imaginary ball, then moves each fingertip to touch the corresponding fingertip on opposite hand, then in a sine wave-like manner in each set of fingers' relation to each other, moves fingertips away from each other and back together:: Excellent! Now we wait...and by noon tomorrow, the poll shall be ours! Gwa ha ha ha ha! :D

• 4 months later...

Ok, some bad news....

Batman: The Frightening, starring unnamed actors for Batman & The Scarecrow, seems to have the green light, while I'm reading that Arnofsky's Batman: Year One looks cancelled.

That really fucking sucks, that one seemed like it had the best chance of brining that franchise out of its slump and doing something really creative with it.

Word is Frank Miller (writer of the series at the time) is still looking to assist with a Batman flick, but it looks like it wont be this one. More on it as i find out the details.

Last i heard things were still on, but DC (like many comic imprints right now) got so many movie deals goin, its hard to keep up. Ill look into that one - not half as excited bout it but if youre right about Farell for Bats, that might be cool.

Yeah, I heard that news, really sucks. Darren Aranofsky is one of the most promising new talents out there and he's just being shit on, (his sci-fi project was dropped due to Brad Pitt's abandonment, and now he's not revolutionizing bats) I think maybe he should try for something lower budget maybe, hollywood doesn't seem ready to shell out for him to make whatever he wants. I like the fact that Miller is still gonna help with a script, but a batman scarecrow movie doesn't sound that great. Wolfgang Peterson is supposedly still set to direct Batman vs. Supes, but he's gonna direct Troy first (the movie that stole Pitt away from Aronofsky's project). And that's set to come out in 2004, so there's still a whole lot of time for that project to get fucked over, have the director of Kangaroo Jack or something take over with Batman's luck.

On other comic stuff, look out for the first look at the Hulk in the superbowl ads. Full trailer is attached to daredevil.

Yup, rumors of some Matrix spot too...fuck, he lost the Pitt sci-fi one too? I know this guy doesnt have that many under his belt just yet but he's obviously got talent, why's he losing projects like this?

Fuck, idve loved to see either one of those two. Im gonna scan Wizard's mock-up of a Batman: Year One poster for the hell of it.