Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

Daredevil 2

Fox and Marvel are reportedly bringing Ben Affleck and director Mark Steven Johnson back for another installment of Daredevil. There hasn't been a whole lot of buzz around the project but it is on our radar screen. Filmmaker and comic book author Kevin Smith told Wizard magazine, "Both Ben and Mark have asked me about writing the next one. I don't know. It'd be one thing if I only had to please Ben and Mark, but you have to deal with Marvel, Regency and Fox. I'd rather just kick back and watch somebody else try to make sense of my stuff." The second film is rumored to be based on Smith's own Daredevil comic arc.

Hmmm...how could they do that? Karen Page'd have to be a central charcter, and she spent what - 8 seconds on screen in the Original? Me thinks IGN is full of nyeigh.

Punisher

So, they're borrowing heavily from "Welcome Back Frank" which is cool enough but now with Marvel/MAX relaunching "The Punisher" I have a feeling that it ain't gonna get less than a hard R. If they were going for a PG-13 audience no way would they do that. They'd be tryna keep on as many readers as possible, maybe even demoting it from a Marvel Knights title...We could be on to a gudd'n...

I don't know if you guys caught that special they did on History Channel. It was a documentary on the history of comics... they went through DC, Marvel, Image, all the major icons as far as characters, writers, artists & such. It was really amazing. I think they have the DVD for sale through the website.

Where was it that I read there might be an Iron Man movie also?

Yeah, there are a rake of Marvel flicks being talked about, from The Fantastic Four all the way to Werewolf by Night (Jack Russell forever! :D ). They're also gonna start producing their own straight-to-video ventures featuring lesser known characters. How they'll turn out is anyones guess...

Sorry t'say that I missed out on the comic book doc on the History Channel...I saw the one on videogames and it was sweet.

Amazing; you wont even look at the topic back in the comic forum, was talkin there bout the history one chiefy, sad i missed it...

And Iron Man, i think thats another one where the rights got bought up, but nothin offical-like yet. Id say "dont hold your breath" but if Ghost Rider, Punisher etc do well, i dont see why not...i just wish Cage would get his wish of a comic book role and take this one, i think he'd be a great stark (not just cause of Leaving Las Vegas, either :D )

Wait...he's American, right? They're making Constatine American? See, for a while I've been complaining about how stupid it is to be making him American but now that Keanu is definitely in the role I'm suddenly afraid that maybe the character might still be British, and that would mean Keanu Reeves attempting an accent and I just don't think I could handle that... Tell me he's American.

You know, at least Clooney owned up, back inna day.

Clooney: ‘Me and Arnold Destroyed Batman’

by Bob Gough

George Clooney is owning up to his role in shutting down the lucrative Batman film franchise with Batman & Robin.

Referring to Arnold Schwarzenegger, newly elected governor of California and Mr. Freeze in the film, Clooney told David Letterman: "Oh yeah, me and Arnold killed the Batman franchise together..."

Director Joel Schumacher’s 1997 film was widely hit as a reversion to the campy style of the 1966 TV show with groan-inducing puns, a Batman Visa card and a bizarre fascination with rubber nipples, among other things.

...but i was readin on another board how he was offered the role of Nick Fury by Avi Arad (marvel's movie whore), then turned it down after readin Ennis' take on the character...im hopin he just accepted that he wasnt good for that Fury. He mighta worked for the lame 007 one, tho.

Comic Book Resources

DC Movie rumors

SUPERMAN

Dark Horizons has some rumors about Lois Lane casting, saying that the lead contenders are Selma Blair ("Hellboy"), Drew Barrymore (a friend of directorial candidate McG), Claire Forlani ("The Medallion," "Meet Joe Black"), "Friends" star Courtney Cox-Arquette, and "Buffy"/"Angel" vixen Charisma Carpenter. Locations are allegedly being looked at in Australia.

WONDER WOMAN

The same page at Dark Horizons says that Sandra Bullock has been joined by Ashley Scott and Eliza Dushku (who's also busy with her new Fox series "Tru Calling") as competitors for the braceleted role.

Claire Forlani can play anyone she damn well pleases - hell cast her as Superman himself!

PUNISHER

*sigh* - WWE "superstar" Kevin Nash will be playing the Russian. Fuck sake. He better be good. I can smell Bane-Crap from here...

BLADE: TRINITY

Wesley Snipes talked to The Chicago Sun-Times about the whole "Blade" franchise. "I never saw this film as a trilogy," Snipes said, "but the fans seem to want it. As long as they're there, I'm going to be messing with all the blood." The Sun-Times says the plot is "vampires might take over the Earth and Blade must stop the blood suckers from snapping up all our prime real estate. To make it even more timely, the solution might be a vampire-killing virus."

THE MINDSCAPE OF ALAN MOORE

Not exactly a comic book movie per se, but I'm sure you'll all agree that it fits in here. "The Mindscape of Alan Moore" debuts at the San Francisco World Film Festival, October 24 at 9:30 PM, in the Avalon Ballroom. So says this site "The film brings the audience on an exploration of the critically acclaimed and admired comics writer Alan Moore. Moving from his background to the early stages of his career up to his immersion in a magical worldview where science, spirituality and society are part of the same universe".

Especially for Unidentified Source.....

GHOST RIDER

Nicholas Cage has to do “The Weather Man” – as well as Mark Ruffalo’s directorial debut “Sympathy for Delicious,” which is supposed t'begin shooting in March. Ghost Rider's producer Gary Foster told IGN Filmforce in early August that they were on track for an early 2004 start date, but more than likely that the earliest start for the film would be mid-May or June at this point, due to Cage’s other commitments