Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

Straight from Comic Book Resources.com...

Last week's news that Chris Nolan (Memento) had signed on as director of a new Batman movie left fans scratching their heads. Is it Batman: The Frightening? What about Year One? Are Frank Miller and Darren Aronofsky still developing that one?

Well, last Wednesday's Variety contains a report on Aronofsky's workload. The filmmaker just signed a three-year, first-look deal between his Protozoa Pictures production shingle and Arnon Milchan's 20th Century Fox-based Regency Enterprises.

While the article states that the conspiracy thriller Flicker will be the top priority in terms of that deal, it also states that Aronofsky is still attached as the director of Batman: Year One.

Likewise, C2F was able to report last week that Frank Miller is still working on a script for the movie, which would focus on the early days of the caped crusader.

So, it appears that Year One is still in development and Nolan's project is something else, possibly the Scarecrow plot that's been rumored for the past few months.

: )

Nothing new, actually. The most recent "news" is that, yeah, Marsden...or Cyclops as any comic-movie watcher knows him...is still set to star as our beloved Jesse. Set to star, but still not officially signed on. And yeah, Rachel Talahay of Tank Girl shame is still directing. They were supposed to start shooting late last year but Marsden's X-Men shoot was running long. As it is, they're saying that they want to have it cast and ready to film by April this year. Ennis is officially listed as the screenwriter, but that probably just means that they're using the crappy script that's been floating on the web for years (yeah, where Jesse gets in a fist fight with the Saint and shoots him with his own guns). IMDb has Glen Fabry as the poster artist, but I wouldn't believe that. That just sounds like something a fanboy sent in to IMDb, kinda like that casting of Sam Neil in the Dr Octopus role that was on the Spider-man 2 page a few months ago.

And as for Kevin Smith, the one man some of us trusted to try to make some sense out of this tragic attempt of a film? Seems they decided he didn't need to be involved. He's not longer listed as a producer. In his (and Scott Mosier's) place, these two guys: Steve Robbins and Jim Reeve. Never heard of them? For good reason, the only theatrical feature they have produced has been "Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles".

And so begins the depressing evolution of the doomed Preacher movie.

Edited by Silent Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Its gettin crazy, just as anyone wouldve suspected with the sucess of comic movies lately...i want to be happy, but anyway take a look (courtesy of Comic Book Resources)...

In the past three years Marvel Entertainment has emerged as a force to be reckoned with in Hollywood. With the recent success of "Daredevil" the comic-based production house now has four concurrently running film franchises.  Here's the latest word on the next wave of Marvel movies.

THE PUNISHER

"The Punisher" continues to be a hot project for Marvel and Artisan Entertainment. Jonathan Hensleigh is set to make his directing debut on this one. He also wrote the first draft of the script. 

Executive Vice President of Marvel Studios Kevin Feige confirmed that Michael Tolkin ("Deep Impact," "Changing Lanes") is doing a polish on Hensleigh's draft. The producer also told C2F/CBR News that, in spite of recent rumors, nobody has been signed to star in the movie yet.

In their just-released earnings report, Marvel projects a 2004 release for this movie.

MAN-THING

Feige confirmed that Brett Leonard ("The Lawnmower Man") is now attached to direct the movie version of Marvel's "Man-Thing." Feige was unable to confirm reports that production could start on the film this summer.

BLADE III

Filmmaker David Goyer told C2F/CBR News that he'd be turning in a draft of "Blade III" this week. Goyer, who wrote the first "Blade" and wrote and produced the sequel, may be wearing a new hat in the third installment.

"There has been some talk of me directing yet, but nothing is firm yet," Goyer said.

Expect more news about this project soon. The filmmaker told us that they'll be budgeting the script soon and looking at star Wesley Snipes' schedule. Firm details are about a month away.

The aforementioned earnings report lists "Blade III" as part of Marvel's film line-up, but does not list an estimated release date, simply stating "to be determined."

DEATHLOK

Buzz has been gradually picking up on "Deathlok," Marvel's cyborg soldier from the future.

"We'd love it to be our first movie with Paramount Pictures," Feige said.

Newcomers Raven Metzner and Stu Zicherman have penned a script for the movie which Feige calls, "a great draft." No director is attached at this time.

The earnings report also has "Deathlok" targeted for a 2004 release.

FANTASTIC FOUR

Newcomer Tristan Patterson is the latest writer to take a pass at the script for the "Fantastic Four" movie. This is not actually new news, as the writer came on board months ago. Peyton Reed ("Bring It On") has long been attached to direct.

As with "Blade III," the "Fantastic Four's" release date is listed in the earnings report as "to be determined."

OTHERS

Marvel's just-released earning report also shows "Iron Fist" and "Ghost Rider" as possible 2004 films, while "Dr. Strange" and "Namor" are targeted for 2005.

"Silver Surfer," "Iron Man" and "Prime" are all listed as "to be determined."

I was just lookin for Punisher, too...damn that's a lotta licenses.

That's pretty rediculous. It's exactly thsi kind of mentality (it's hot, saturate the market) that makes cool shit into tired shit. "Jonathan Hensleigh is set to make his directing debut on (Punisher)"? It has always been my belief that it's harder to pull of a film based on a franchise than on original material because people already know the characters, so you have those expectations to confine you and to live up to. It's not the kind of work for a first time director. Alot of these are going to suck balls.

Eh...yes and no.

With a lotta backstory, youre right, it can be limiting, for say the comic writers. The directors - who, as in the case of Blade - can sometimes just take a few core ideas, whatever strikes them as cool, and say "fuck all the rest" and go with it, granted that can be horrible sometimes too but ill be the first to admit you cant pull off some comic things in film.

Take Punisher. Youre right, he's a franchise character, but so many bad writers have done so many bad twists on him (here's a hint: he's worked for the mob, had a ponytail, died, worked as an angel, and he's been black...same character mind you, guy with guns) that the writer can just pick & choose as he likes; fortunately it still seems theyre goin with the current incarnation, the Garth Ennis one of the present comic series (me & Spongebob are big fans). Its not brilliant but its cool action, has some funny bits to it as well. Could really transfer to film decently if done right, and a whole lot easier than say Spider-Man...some war backstory, then its kill kill kill in imaginative ways. As long as its not The Rock shootin out one liners I really think this one could be decent, hard to fuck up.

Now the others...Man-Thing, Deathlok, FF 4...im obvioulsy an avid comic guy and i give fuck all about the lot of them. If i was a director & you handed me these franchises, id Kubrick it up and do my own thing with them, make the shitty books adhere to my vision after they do surprisnly well. Again, I cite Blade, despite the fact numerous comic relaunches since the flicks have bombed.

Actually, Zits has been options for the big screen. It makes plenty of sense. Teen movie are selling. Comic book movies are selling. Comic strip are kinda like comic books, particularly to a Hollywood producer. My problem is that Zits doesn't have a teen movie feel. I hope that if it is made, it's closer to the strip than it is to American Pie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Courtesy of Comic Book Resources.com....

THE PUNISHER

Thomas Jane's "Punisher" now has his nemesis according to today's Variety. John Travolta has been cast to play the villain in the upcoming Artisan feature based on Marvel's tormented hero.

Travolta plays a character, created just for the movie, named Howard Saint. Saint is described as "a former underworld figure who goes straight but returns to old habits after his son is slain," a character not unlike the Punisher himself. Naturally the two men are drawn into conflict with one another.

Travolta mounted his big-screen comeback playing a criminal in "Pulp Fiction," years ago. Since then his most memorable parts have been playing heavies in movies like "Broken Arrow," "Face/Off" and "Swordfish."

Filming on "The Punisher" is set to begin in July with an eye toward a summer 2004 release.

In other "Punisher" news, Superhero Hype has posted an image of the teaser poster for the movie. The poster utilizes the skull that was seen in the recently released publicity photo.

Then...

punisher89_poster.jpg

Now...

punisher_jane.jpg

???

I hate to say it but Dolph Lundgren seems to fit the part better, and that's pretty bad. So they cast Travolta in it? That means one of three things. One - this movie has a higher budget than we once believed and might actually be decent (you think if they could get Travolta as the villain they could get someone better as the hero). Two - Travolta has finally been knocked down to the B-list of movie actors since he hasn't been in a good movie since Face/Off. Or three, and unfortunately most likely - this movie will be to great comic books what Battlefield Earth was to great science fiction novels.

Recent news on the Punisher movie. Get this (this is odd), the script moves the character from New York City to......Tampa?! Yes that's right, the film version of the Punisher apparently calls Tampa, FL home. Locations have already been chosen for filming in downtown Tampa, and Ybor City (specifically the Columbia Restaurant). The Tampa Theatre, The Florida Aquarium, and the University of Tampa are also being considered for location shoots.