Hondo's Bar

Ask The Great Sarcasmo

Reverend Jax

dear Jax,

so yeah, your policy to keep your friends unemployed is swell and all, but how do you feel about basically shooting down ray-ray's thoughts about moving here and having a stable, backup job? do you sleep better knowing you basically denied her that dream? because i think you should only get leprosy. there it is.

What is the internet?

Do you secretly huff your own farts when you think no one is looking, just to enjoy its sweet, sweet smell?

Does McCain enjoy shoving unlubricated carrots up his anal passage for fun, and also to help him come up with his ideas for the economy? Is that the same method Joel uses, except for the fact that he uses organic hippie carrots?

• 5 months later...

Not to steal JAX's thread but anyone can help you with this...

If you are talking youtube... you go to the youtube video you want, the right side has Embeded: you copy and paste that long ass code

then paste it into the hondos reply box, then go to the bottom and you will see

Post Options then a scroll box that defaults to HTML off, select HTML ON then raw or auto.. I use auto.

hit post /reply whatever and it should display

aaaaaaaaaa...i wasn't setting the html on. ok let me try it real fast!

thanks sig i owe u one :)

wait another one...what about the little icon/avatar that comes out between the name like..stone cutter or Daemon (depending how many post u have) and the group u belong to? sometimes i have a lil banana dancing...sometimes i just have a square, but i see other people have their own thingy...can i do it too?

Edited by diamond6311

wait another one...what about the little icon/avatar that comes out between the name like..stone cutter or Daemon (depending how many post u have) and the group u belong to? sometimes i have a lil banana dancing...sometimes i just have a square,

depends on the skin of the forum you're in, i know crapshack has banana's

but i see other people have their own thingy...can i do it too?

you can get this after 1000 posts? i'm pretty sure it's 1000

sorry i thought i had just missed that option, but now when i went to post the video i don't see scroll option for the html.

my post option only show the following:

Post Options

Enable emoticons?

Enable signature?

Enable email notification of replies?

make sure you are going into add reply not just fast reply, it's definately there

you can get this after 1000 posts? i'm pretty sure it's 1000

wow...1000? ok i'm almost there..hahaha

make sure you are going into add reply not just fast reply, it's definately there

i am ...when i click reply it's not there. i did it both ways. i get the same options. maybe it has something to do with my controls. i'm usually a guru when it comes to this!!

in any event thanks alive she cried! i owe u one too... :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Given the assumption that someone is going to hold a non-theist belief system, do you think its more useful or fulfilling to hold a spiritualized one such as Taoism or Buddhism or something completely secular such Rational Atheism?

This is totally my question btw.

That's a great question, Jay!

I think as a general rule, it's important to look at any system that makes claims to any kind of knowledge, especially how the world works, and examine how they come to obtain their knowledge. Once you've looked at that, you can make a decision as to how you will treat their claims. If you look at Buddhism, we see that it is based on the several premises, including the Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, the Four Immeasurables, and several other tenets. Where did this knowledge come from? Most of it supposedly came from the inspiration of a guy named Siddhārtha Gautama who lived about 2500 years ago. However, since nothing about Buddhist teachings were ever written down until about 400 years after he died (odd that it survived in oral tradition only for 400 when India has writing during and before the time of Siddhārtha Gautama), I don't have too much confidence that all the current Buddhist teachings are the same ones the guys taught in his own lifetime.

As for Taoism, it is based primarily on the teachings of Laozi and secondarily on the teachings of Zhuangzi, but they have similar issues with not having any contemporary accounts and it is somewhat dubious whether they actually ever even existed.

So, basically, my criticisms of Buddhism and Taoism begin with the criticism I have of more or less every religion. It's basically a set of teachings and ideas about what is right and wrong, how the universe came to be, the nature of the existence, where humans came from, the nature of life and death, whether there is life after death and the precise nature of it, things you are allowed to and not allowed to do in your everyday life, things you are allowed to think publicly and even privately, how all kinds of natural phenomena occur, and what is the higher purpose of all things, and it's essentially all coming from what some guy thinks, and usually it's some guy who lived such a long time ago that he would have been blown away if they had seen the technological achievement that is a wheelbarrow. I find the credibility of such authority to be dubious, and to me, calling oneself a Buddhist or a Taoist means conceding some authority to these teachings.

However, just because I think religions can be a definitive authority on matters of truth, that doesn't mean that many religions don't have some truths in them, and it can be very fulfilling to learn about various world religions and see what they have to say on various matters. I just don't think you should read them as authoritative. Treat them like anything else, like say, a movie you'd watch. You watch it with an open mind and maybe it speaks to you. There's a lot that a non-theist can get out of Buddhism and Taoism (as well as other Eastern and Western religions), as long as you get an open and skeptical mind.

What I like about Rational Atheism is that it is an entire system of understanding the world that isn't built on the authority of some guy who just thought some ideas up and got a bunch of other guys to believe him. It's built on skepticism. It's about questioning the premise, questioning the information, questioning how we know what we know, and letting the facts take you where they will, and not being afraid that maybe we don't have all the answers right away, because admitting that you don't know is better than being confident in something that isn't really supported by facts.

• Upvote 1

I actually was debating with whether to answer in my Sarcasmo alter-ego or play it straight. The Great Sarcasmo was originally a Hondo's tech support persona. People wouldn't know how to upload images to the internet, or post a youtube video or something, and ole Sarcasmo would answer the person's question and make fun of them in one fell swoop. Eventually is just became the name of my ask thread.

Just a mild correction for factual consideration. Both Taoism and Buddhism ARE non-theist, in that they make no claims of the existence of deities. The spiritual aspects of both don't contain anything about afterlives or anything like that. Their teachings, in both cases start with a basic, "we are all connected and one in the same, manifestations of a greater unity" which is, with the recent discovery of higgs particles, likely to be quite literally true. They continue to use this as a moral assumption as to how we should treat others and ourselves. Buddhism's primary differentiating factor from Taoism is that it goes on to address the human condition and human society a little more directly than Taoism does. Buddhism and Taosim both share something in common with Rational Atheism in that they are both belief systems that change and have changed to fit new information about reality and the universe. There is little to no "faith" in either of them.

That said, in J's question which is totally his and no one else's, the primary difference in my view is that both Taoism and Buddhism assign a spiritual significance whereas Rational Atheism doesn't. I suppose that in the initial question is whether that spiritual aspect serves a function be it psychologically or practically that would cause someone to choose that over the strictly secular rationalism?

Just a mild correction for factual consideration. Both Taoism and Buddhism ARE non-theist, in that they make no claims of the existence of deities. The spiritual aspects of both don't contain anything about afterlives or anything like that. Their teachings, in both cases start with a basic, "we are all connected and one in the same, manifestations of a greater unity" which is, with the recent discovery of higgs particles, likely to be quite literally true. They continue to use this as a moral assumption as to how we should treat others and ourselves. Buddhism's primary differentiating factor from Taoism is that it goes on to address the human condition and human society a little more directly than Taoism does. Buddhism and Taosim both share something in common with Rational Atheism in that they are both belief systems that change and have changed to fit new information about reality and the universe. There is little to no "faith" in either of them.

I don't think I ever said that Buddhism or Taoism made any claims about a deity. Not just do I know they don't make such claims, I specifically attempted to be conscious of NOT saying they made such claims. If I implied that, then I screwed up, because I made a deliberate attempt to not say that.

And as for an afterlife, although there are many schools and branches of Buddhism, most believe in reincarnation, which is a kind of afterlife. Taoism is a bit more wishy-washy on it. For example, the Chuang Tzu, holy test of Taoism states: "Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting-point. Existence without limitation is Space. Continuity without a starting point is Time. There is birth, there is death, there is issuing forth, there is entering in."

I still think the best thing to do is study world religions without assigning them any authority and see what truths speak to you, always remembering that they are all just the ideas of some guys.

I think of religion as kind of being a precursor to philosophy, much in the way alchemy is a precursor to chemistry and astrology is a precursor to astronomy. Religion and philosophy occupy the same domain, but they have a different kind of epistemology in approaching that domain. However, I think the line between alchemy and chemistry and the line between astrology and astronomy is pretty sharp and well defined, but there is a bit of spectrum between religion and philosophy and on that spectrum, Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism are closer to the philosophy side of the spectrum than, say, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity and Scientology.

Edited by Reverend Jax