Hondo's Bar

Ask The Great Sarcasmo

Reverend Jax

It's time for some tech support with easy-to-understand red circles and arrows!

Ever try to figure something out on Hondo's, but every explanation you get is in difficult to understand words? Written or spoken, words can be a hard concept for many people. Several years ago, the NFL discovered their audience was greatly composed of these people, so they took still frame of game play and instead of using the traditional high brow intelligectual means of play by play commentary (words), they drew circles and arrows on the screen, and I think it's fair to say, the world is better place becasue of it.

The only problem is this method hasn't been used in other, non-football ascepts of life...until now! I've been using the words-make-my-head-hurt method in the Change-Your-Avatar Thread with some success, and I think it's time to give the method more exposure, so now is has it's own thread.

So got a Hondo's Tech Support question? Hit me up!

• 11 months later...

For Firefox users, something cool you can do to speed up load time. Firefox flies for me now :blink:

How To Speed Up Firefox

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing is that Firefox already has prefetch built into it all you need to do is enable it :yup:

1. Right click the desktop icon for firefox and add -prefetch to the command line it should look something like this :

"D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1

This should speed up (slightly/majorly) the booting up of firefox when you load it :2T:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, can someone tell me please, in the simplest terms...how to change my member title? I know what I want to put there...just not how. I mean, as interesting an image as a naked IC is, I don't want that little sentence stuck under my avatar.

I'm not a 'puter guru but I'm no slouch either and this shit completely illudes me. :blink:

Go to My Controls at the top, then on the left hand side go to Edit Profile Information, you should have a place to type something in where it says:" Custom Member Title. :blink:

Oh Great Sarcasmo, how do I do spoiler tags, I can't figure it out, if it's really easy I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Edited by ChristyandJake

oh....see, theyre in some forums, but not in others. Theyre not in this one, but you can use em in Town Sqaure, Culture, Movies, Anime, Sports (i think?), Comics, Video Games, and i think thats it.

see the toolbar above this? b for bold, i for italic, u for underline....there's a small "spoil" symbol after the unerline one, that or the old fashioned way with [ SPOILER ] anakin turns into a big homo [ /SPOILER ] minus the spaces, but again, if you do that in a forum that doesnt have spoiler tags, it wont really work.

i hope that helps. ill take pics if it dont.

Thanks ALOT, Nick and Christy! Your answers to the questions asked in this thread is REALLY in line with principles with which I started the Ask The Great Sarcasmo thread. I mean you TOTALLY fucking nailed it! Straight forward, not condescending, you two have REALLY HONORED the name of The Great Sarcasmo. Yeah, Baby Jesus totally DOESN'T cry at the thought of what this thread has become. Hats off to the two of you!

• 1 month later...

I asked these in the Bit Torrent thread and noone was answering so 2Track suggested I ask them here.

Ive only downloaded one thing so far, but it worked. Its really slow though, way slower than limewire. Maybe I have the settings wrong or something, I have cable internet, so what should my settings be?

Also....What is an RM file? Do I convert it to a .wmv or download something to play the RM file?

Sorry to ask so many questions, how do I play divx and which player should I download???

• 6 months later...

well dumbass, it's not as simple as dropping font files in your fonts folder, it is much much much more complicated than that.

1) Download an install file for a font.

2) Run that file.

3) Stop packing your head in ice when you go to bed.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

• 1 year later...

I lived in Buenos Aires from March-ish of 1996 to June of 1998. My mom is in government, works for NIST (the National Institute of Science and Technology) and see was offer a position in the Diplomatic Corps working in the Dept of Commerce, advocating US technical trade standards in the South American marketplace. I lived on Olleros, about 4 blocks from Libertador. I went Lincoln School, the only (I think) American school in BA, as the US Government pays for it in full of the children of US Diplomats.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Dear Jax,

Why is our bestest buddy Joel in hippie denial?

What is the last decimal of Pi?

Why is the sky blue?

Where do babies come from?

Why does McCain even bother when obviously the only candidate with Hope TM is Obama?

My dearest Jax,

Do you still have your sheriff's badge we gave you? If so, will you be wearing it during Hondos-Con?

ARE YOU FUCKING EXCITED ABOUT HONDOS-CON?! Because I am!

And finally, if we were ever to move to FL or whatevs, would you hire me? I'm a good worker, I promise! lolz

Dear Jax,

Why is our bestest buddy Joel in hippie denial?

What is the last decimal of Pi?

Why is the sky blue?

Where do babies come from?

Why does McCain even bother when obviously the only candidate with Hope TM is Obama?

1) I think he may have had a bad acid trip as a baby, or was perhaps molested by a hippie, or had some other traumatic experience.

2) This should answer your question.

3) Because you touch yourself at night. That and our eyes see only a small band of the electromagnetic spectrum, from wavelengths of 380 to 750 nanometers, and while our sun shines electromagnetic waves of various wavelength, both inside and well outside that small visible band, the gaseous particles and suspensiods in our upper atmosphere scatters all the wavelengths, but among the visible band, it scatters that in the range of 500 to 550 nanometers the least, and that is the range we perceive as light blue. But it's mostly to do with the touching at night.

4) This should answer your question.

scientific_republican_1.jpg

As for how I feel about teaching alternative theories, this is how I feel.

And yes, that is Hugh Laurie, of House fame.

5) He has his own 'Despair' strategy, and I say you give it a chance.

My dearest Jax,

Do you still have your sheriff's badge we gave you? If so, will you be wearing it during Hondos-Con?

ARE YOU FUCKING EXCITED ABOUT HONDOS-CON?! Because I am!

And finally, if we were ever to move to FL or whatevs, would you hire me? I'm a good worker, I promise! lolz

1) I'll look for it, but I'm not sure.

2) Fo sho.

3) I don't like mixing friendship and business. It drove a wedge between me and The Vagrant, causing a rift not repaired for over a full year. I don't want to hire someone whom I would not feel I could fire if necessary. Personal policy, so the answer is no. You can put me as a reference though.

Edited by Reverend Jax