Hondo's Bar

My Big Break!!

Da Cap'n

So this guy walks into Anime Hurricane the other day and we start talking comics! Come to find out that he's a former intern for, get this, Jim Lee!! Woah mama!! So I ask him what does a guy gotta do to get a gig like that and he says it's all in who you know!! Then I told him "I know YOU"!! He just laughed at me and asked if I was serious! Well, we talked about the fact that I draw, but I wanna be a writer and he made me a proposition...

He was doin' a project and he need a story! So he asked if I could write a 3 page story involving Batman! He said if it was good, he'd use it (hes an artist by-the-way)!! Well, I've thought of some stuff, but thought that you all might wanna help by giving me some ideas (serious ones)!! Hey, if I do this and it gets published then that'll be a way to get my name out there!! Come on people, help a brutha out!

Did he give any other guidelines? Does he want you to write storyboard too? like the thought bubbles?

He really didn't say anything but "a 3 page Batman story"! I don't know! I already have this awesome idea, but it involves both Batman AND Superman! Like an Elseworlds thing! I think it's great and would really work, but I don't think I can tell it in 3 pages!! Fuck...

OK, firstly, that "Batman has a superpower and that is he's superhumanly smart" bullshit pitch you gave me is weak. I was being relatively polite when you were talking about it before, but this is serious and it's important, so don't throw this oppurtunity away by trying that shit.

Secondly, a good angle might be a what-if story. Think along the lines of Red Son (which you said you liked) as far as thinking it through for genuine plausibility. How about someone that knows his identity (Alfred, Barbara Gordon, Dick Grayson...) feeling betrayed by him and threatening to reveal his identity to the public...something like that maybe.

What if the Penguin goes gay and gets a horde of homo's to attack Wayne Manor?

then I guess you'd be in the front...

Seriously, though Panch... I recommend you write a more regular type story. DC had a thing on their website for prospective writers where they said that for samples, to work on established characters and not intoduce major changes in continuity or direction.

No invasions of the batcave or breaking Bruce Wayne's back kinda stuff.

So a short story/scene where Batman breaks into an warehouse to rescue a kidnapped baby or chases a mugger trying to escape on a subway or something like that would be a more appropriate 3 page project.

You can do the cosmic Crossover things later, when you've established yourself.

I like the ideas offered. Don't try and stray too far from the storyline (if there is continuity right now - haven't read a Batman in years)...something maybe dramatic like some struggle inside him, he's always facing something like that.

or bring the Scarecrow to fuck with his head...but I think that has been done and over done on the TV series...

Yeah, I agree, no "What If"s, no Elseworlds... Anybody can think of a good "What If" concept if they think about it long enough. If you want to make an impression, you should show that you can write their regular characters doing their regular activities in an interesting way. Keep it simple. A kidnapping case. Maybe he's tailing a suspect. Maybe he's interrogating a suspect? It's only three pages long, so I dunno if you've got room for a major villain or a fight. That's too much material and you'd either end up with an overly-simple comic book fight or three really complex pages. If you want to put action in it, it might be a good idea to make it passive action - swinging around the city, driving the Batmobile, breaking into a building, etc. That type of action doesn't need much explanation or backstory, like a full-on fight with a bad guy would. And keep it about Batman. Maybe use inner monologue, though I know a few people who think that method's overused. Still, if any comic character is meant to have an inner monologue, it's Batman. Like Dante said, don't stray away from the storyline too much. But I don't think you should hold steadfast to the current continuity, either. Just make it a typical Batman story done really well.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Three pages. Keep it simple.

damn, I used to go to anime hurricane WAY back in the day, that's awesome. Try the whole batman and robin gay samurai love thing, it would be so cool! *btw I finally found a job, I start this monday, and my internet connection went down, go fig*

Well, the dude with the offer came into the store recently and we talked about it! I told him I was going outta town and I was really focused on that right now! He understood and said that all I had to do was write it when I had the time! He said that there was no rush! He gave me his number and told me to "make sure" I call!

Oh yeah, we also talked about the possibility of us collaborating on my "Elseworlds idea", but he said he didn't have the time to do a whole book (Silent Bob... you up for it)!! Anyways, I guess Silent Bob and Jumbie where right! I'd have to do something simple. I just wanted to do something to blow people's socks off!! We'll see!

Archived