Hondo's Bar

New Avengers

The NZA

NAVENGER_2_800.jpg

Fanboys can say what they will on Avengers Dissasembled, about how rushed it was, killed off some of their favorite Avengers, the ending's been done before, etc, and some naysayers are worried about the big lineup this book's looking to have, but after 2 issues in, this one's shaping up to be just as (if not) more exciting than Ultimates.

Bendis is loving this, and doesnt seem to be going anywhere. Hitch is....amazing, i think. It looks like Captain America is potentially leading:

Luke Cage

Spider-Man

Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman

Iron Man?

With coming additions of Sentry - he's the one Marvel spoofed us all with a few years back, Jenkis wrote him really well. Bendis described him loosely as "the most powerful, superman like character in the Marvel U, but he's afraid to leave his house."

And of course, many are up in arms about Wolverine's potention addition to the roster, tho Bendis swears he has a reason why the loner X-Man would join another team, and in the meantime, he sees Logan & Spidey as comedic gold. Spidey, too, isnt a team guy, so I'm guessing Bendis has this planned out, and he's certainly got my faith in his writing.

Issue # 2 just came out, and it was insane - imagine a prison break for Marvel's biggest villians, plus it ties into Bendis' work on Alias, Daredevil etc...and he says he's not done with Dissasembled either.

Ive enjoyed these 2 issues more than any Avenger book ive read so far. Here's what the variant covers are looking like, when put together (each by a different artist):

NEW%20AVENGERS%205%20(ADI%20GRANOV%20VARIANT)_0image_big.jpgNEW%20AVENGERS%202%20(ADI%20GRANOV%20VARIANT)_0image_big.jpgNEWAVN001var_400.jpg

NEW%20AVENGERS%204%20(JIM%20CHEUNG%20VARIANT)_0image_big.jpgNEW%20AVENGERS%206%20(BRYAN%20HITCH%20VARIANT)_0image_big.jpgNEW%20AVENGERS%203%20(OLIVER%20COPIEL%20VARIANT)_0image_big.jpg

Joe Q's sketch of the whole thing (he's pretty squared-jaw these days)

new_avengers_sketch.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

# 3 came out last week...damn. The team's starting to come together, but its already in trouble....

Its worth throwing out there that not all the villains escaped The Raft alive; a very high-profile one died quite violently....if youve ever dug Avengers, or are in any way a Bendis fan, you really gotta check this book out before it gets hard to find.

• 1 month later...

newavengers8cover_color.jpg

BENDIS UPDATES NEW AVENGERS SCHEDULE, & MORE

At his messageboard, Brian Bendis has clarified the schedule of New Avengers, which has seen issues #4 and #5 slide from their originally scheduled dates, with Steve McNiven coming on board as the penciller starting with issue #7. Bendis posted, “It is not a permanent thing. one of the reasons Steve McNiven is already at work on the second arc is so David Finch can go right from issue #6 to issue #10.

”So yes, we are dragging a little bit now but its all about bringing you the highest quality. these scripts are a bitch to draw. lots of characters in each panel. but with Mcniven's fill ins we will be back on a normal schedule very, very soon.”

Bendis also added that the alternate covers for Steve McNiven’s arc (#7-#9) which focuses on The Sentry will be by Dave Cockrum (#7), John Romita Sr. (#8 – a wedding cover at character creator Paul Jenkins’ request), and Marie Severin (#9). As Bendis posted, “If you do not know these names, please go find out who they are. They are true greats.

”These special alt covers are not New Avengers covers, but ‘Startling Stories’ covers on New Avengers - that is the comic the Sentry appeared in that no one can find. I do not know what the ordering plan is. if you don't like alt covers, don't buy them.”

Continuing the Silver Age theme of the arc, issue #7 will contain a sequence by Sal Buscema, which Bendis said will be his last retro segment ever.

Bendis also added that the long-delayed Wha Huh?!? will ship in July. Additionally, the videogame Bendis has been working on for the past year and a half will be announced shortly, and will be featured on the cover of Playstation Magazine that ships the same week as E3 in May.

Finally, as to Brian K. Vaughan’s tease about an Ultimate project: “I know BKV has been hinting at some Ultimate project that I and Mark Millar are involved in. it is not as reported elsewhere a handbook or guide. All I will say for now is that BKV is a very generous bastard! And I like Mark Brooks.”

Oh, and there was this as well:

HouseofM_ad.jpg

• 4 months later...

Newsarama: Bendis on the big ending of # 7...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Who are the New Avengers:

Echo (a.k.a. Maya Lopez, a.k.a. “Ronin”)

“Echo is the character who’s been in the New Avengers who has the most unanswered questions surrounding her. She had a one arc storyline and in this arc Captain America picked her to stay in Japan and deal with the growing threat of the disorganized Japanese underworld, which she took a heavy interest in being part of. We still don’t know a lot about how she got from Kingpin assassin to New Avengers ally, and why she wears the Ronin suit – why she dresses up like a man. I know a lot of people want to know this. So all of this will be answered in issue #27, which not only answers all these questions, but also debuts this new team of New Avengers.
Ronin (a.k.a. ??)

“Once Echo is done is Japan, there will be no need for her to be Ronin anymore. The suit – the identity – will have served its purpose. There will be another person in the Marvel Universe without a theme… without a motivation … or who may have lost their desire to wear the costume they were wearing, and this person will don the costume as the masterless samurai of the Marvel Universe for the time to come.”

Doctor Strange

“Doctor Strange, as has been shown in issue #6 of Civil War, kind of sat it out. He kind of took a Gandhi stance, and when the war pans out the way it pans out, it really shocks a lot of characters in the Marvel Universe to the very core of their beings and results in them changing their minds about a lot of things. And once Doc Strange sees the results of the war in reality, and not just in theory, it shakes him, and he realizes his ‘Gandhi-status’ may have been a huge mistake, and now he’s in a position to try to at least rectify that and he blames himself and his inaction for what the end results are.
Wolverine

“Another character not in the crux of the major war, but was part of the New Avengers because of the deal he made with them. He’s kind of the eternal underdog. He and Luke Cage have similar beliefs in regards to what’s going on in the Marvel Universe right now and Wolverine sticks with the group to see if through, because he made a commitment to them…

Spider-Woman

“The spy without a home. Ex-Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., ex-Agent of Hydra… this is the only place she can go, and she is one of those who feels someone was pulling her strings through out this entire year. She also has an unrevealed relationship with Nick Fury, who is still underground. And what his connection to all this is will be revealed this year.

“She also has a monthly series coming that Alex [Maleev]and I will be doing in the future. Everything that’s going to happen to her in New Avengers will set that up. It’s a new direction for the character that needs set-up. She’s going to find her true calling, let’s say.

Luke Cage

“Luke Cage will now rise to be the leader of the team. He almost had a …hmmm, let’s says a ‘King Arthur’ heaviness in him in New Avengers #22, where he made decisions to fight for what he believes in no matter what the cost to himself or his family. And now here he is having survived the war and kind of being put in position to lead the team to where it needs to go. He is, of all of them, the biggest believer in that what happened to the New Avengers in the first arcs – in the Savage Land, discovering there is something rotten in S.H.I.E.L.D. – is all connected, all the way from House of M, to the Secret Wars, to Civil War … that there has been something pulling at them this whole time, and they’re going to get right back to trying to figure out what it all is and putting it all together.

"There is something so interesting about an unbreakable man who now has such a weakness in having a wife and child that he cares so much for. Jessica can take care of herself, but that little baby ... that poor little baby.

"Plus his relationship with Jessica becomes a real point of pride and angst as their lives as rebels continue."

Iron Fist

“I'm glad we've put them together as a reveal because...Yes, the ‘Heroes for Hire’ [see below] are back together again. Danny went through a lot during Civil War. He’s got his Rand Corporation and we’re discovering a lot about him in his series by Ed [brubaker] and Matt [Fraction], and this is the book where you get to see that information effecting the Marvel heroes in his life. This is a really good time to be an Iron Fist fan and a ‘Power Man & Iron Fist’ fan. They are going to achieve a lot in the coming months.

“What I like about the two of them is that they’re best friends but they haven’t been around one another a lot lately, but now they’re back together again. So they have a very mature relationship. They’re both real warriors at heart that have been through a lot together. So having them back together on this team is, I think, very special for us old school fans.

“And it also helps establish the more familial aspect of the team. There is no charter or official reason for them to be together, but they need each other. They’re all with one another because they have to be. There is no one else they can trust. They’re thrown together by fate to be in the Avengers, and now they’re being thrown together again to be in the Avengers post-Civil War.

"Plus, Iron Fist has some interesting backstory with the mysticism and magics of K'un-Lun, which can and will run in direct conflict with Doctor Strange and his magics."

• 4 months later...
So I'm guessing the end of New Avengers 31 has to do with

what happened in issue #1 of the Illuminati with the skrulls looking for pay back and this is the first hint of something big,

that makes way more sense than my "WWHulk tie in?" thought.

they pulled the swictheroo with :pig: years back when he was death, before nu-marvel tried to put a stop to that shit, as i seet it. im hoping for more than that, but newt's illuminati fallout could work if uh, done really well,

let's just hope bendis irons it out quicker than the whole "who caused the initial breakout?" thing.

Bendis said that has been read this story line for the last 2 years.

This could be the thing that been behind both shield and Hydra.

Plus he said the big thing won't happen till next year but we will be getting some answers over the coming months.

• 3 months later...

that's crazy..well, the breakout mystery still hasnt been solved, and i guess itd make sense for Fury to go underground if he felt S.H.I.E.L.D. had been compromised on that level, which it seems to be, theyre all kidns of rotten these days in New Avengers.

also, why Night Nurse? that'd really fuck shit up for Strange. oh, and...

buddy told me he read on marvel.com that Illuminati issues are being delayed cause the rumor is that one of them is a skrull! we know it aint strange, but if its any of the others, that's a big problem.

i swear tho, i hope its not Stark, that'd be too big a copout.

that's crazy..well, the breakout mystery still hasnt been solved, and i guess itd make sense for Fury to go underground if he felt S.H.I.E.L.D. had been compromised on that level, which it seems to be, theyre all kidns of rotten these days in New Avengers.

also, why Night Nurse? that'd really fuck shit up for Strange. oh, and...

buddy told me he read on marvel.com that Illuminati issues are being delayed cause the rumor is that one of them is a skrull! we know it aint strange, but if its any of the others, that's a big problem.

i swear tho, i hope its not Stark, that'd be too big a copout.

Think about it. She's been treating the hero's for years. Who's to say that's not part of a bigger plan.

That rumor been going around for a while now.

The only one I can think of that can be a skrull is namor