Hondo's Bar

Playstation 3

The NZA

Welcome to the end of the Gran Turismo series it seems. The first three, IMHO, rocked...although the third wasn't nearly as good as the second.

The fourth, however, seemed to me to be lacking in several areas that the second and third were extremely good at.

This, to me, seems that they're trying to squeeze the last few dollars out of brand loyalty before dumping the series completely. If this tanks (and with the full game costing about $100 short of the system itself, it certainly seems like it will), then will they even consider a GT5, or just let the unfinished series rot in it's prematurely dug grave?

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See I don't mind purchasing shit online if only the games are cheaper. I mean, I haven't played a GT since it's inception helped me develop a healthy resentment for racing games as a genre, coaxed away only by PodRacer most notably NFSU & MW, but GT3 or 4, whatever the last one was, who sat there & was enthused about all 700 cars in that game? Everyone has their favourites, and this just helps cultivate a new level of interactive realism to the whole medium. Petrol Heads can stick with V8s, riceboys can hot up datsuns all day long, noone's paying for the shit they'll try once & never use again. Aside from that, they should bone out the logistics of a secondary online market where people tired of playing can sell their performance cars when done with them. I'm told something similar to this goes on with WoW where gamers sell their levelled-up characters or some shit. Stuff like that just sounds exciting.

See I don't mind purchasing shit online if only the games are cheaper. I mean, I haven't played a GT since it's inception helped me develop a healthy resentment for racing games as a genre, coaxed away only by PodRacer most notably NFSU & MW, but GT3 or 4, whatever the last one was, who sat there & was enthused about all 700 cars in that game? Everyone has their favourites, and this just helps cultivate a new level of interactive realism to the whole medium. Petrol Heads can stick with V8s, riceboys can hot up datsuns all day long, noone's paying for the shit they'll try once & never use again. Aside from that, they should bone out the logistics of a secondary online market where people tired of playing can sell their performance cars when done with them. I'm told something similar to this goes on with WoW where gamers sell their levelled-up characters or some shit. Stuff like that just sounds exciting.

True, I hadn't thought of the various sub-markets. I know that in GT2 and so on, I had to have all the cars. Go for the damn 100%, you know?

Of course, you know Sony isn't going to allow people to sell other people their cars. They're trying to destroy the used games market, why should they let you sell in-game product?

See I reckon it'd promote sales, people'll do some crazy shit to a seemingly inoccuoous car, everyone'll want it. Aside from that, yeah, unlocking everything's one thing(I'm the same way), but did you race all those cars? Were you torn everytime you pulled into your 'garage' 'cause you were so torn over what to race with?

See I reckon it'd promote sales, people'll do some crazy shit to a seemingly inoccuoous car, everyone'll want it. Aside from that, yeah, unlocking everything's one thing(I'm the same way), but did you race all those cars? Were you torn everytime you pulled into your 'garage' 'cause you were so torn over what to race with?

Not at all, I didn't even touch a vast majority of those cars, but it was the fact of having them. I know there'll be those nuts like me that will want to spend the money to get all of those cars and tracks, but they're a minority among gamers.

Even though I feel that I must unlock everything in a game, there's no way that I'll be paying that much just to get another car that will collect (virtual) dust. I think that the majority of gamers (even the OCD ones like myself) won't pay for that kind of waste.

Even if the sub-markets spring up, I don't see it being enough to make the kind of money $ony is looking for.

he's got a point, tho: its a dangerous precedent.

you still pay $50-60 for a game, and now, for access to downloadable content over what i was told was supposed to be a free network, you gotta pay for said content, rather than unlock it? Even at $1 a car, you dont see the trouble here...?

And SB (shit ,we can do that again...uh, StillB) might be onto something about the fact that game companies are quickly growing tired of EB/Gamestop etc making $ of their product....used game purchases dont bring them a dime, so i guess this could help them level things out somehow...mebbe im overreacting, but i thought it was bad enough to buy FF XI, then a modem & hard drive, pay for network/game access etc; the posibility of buying weapons down the road with real $ (in a system that's designed to not allow you to profit from it yourself) doesnt excite me, it kinda tells me im gonna have to leave such games alone. :birf2:

Imagine if PC games started doing the same thing.

It's 2016, and Half-Life 3 just came out, so you rush down to the nearest Google Gamestop to grab a copy of it for a mere $75 dollars.

Of course, you didn't buy the premium $125 dollar version, but you figure that there'll be no major change in your gameplay experience.

You install the game (and pay a small licensing fee of $2.50 to help pay for the failing "Piracy Wars" of 2007-Present), and happily start the game almost salavating at the thoughts of the wonders that you've been waiting for for more than a decade.

You start the game, and go through the basic training that's always there, and acquire your first weapon. The game becomes more and more difficult as you progress with that one weapon.

About this time you begin to notice small kiosks set up throughout the post-post-apocalyptic world. Curious, you approach one of these kiosks to find that it's an in-game arms dealer.

Cost of the next weapon up? Fifteen real world dollars. Sighing as you realize that you can't make it past the next area without that weapon, you begrudgingly enter your credit card number and purchase the weapon.

Of course, being a single player game, you have no one to sell that gun to, and have in essence paid an extra $15 for the privledge of continuing the game that you just dropped $75 on (plus the $2.50 service charge to install).

Where does it end? At what point do the content providers charge us just to turn on our bloody PC's or game consoles?

Fair enough, And shit, these games are still costing the same as Normal shit?!?! That's fucked. A 'gateway' game, barebone content where game price is simply the cost of admission shouldn't retail for more'n AU$30. How much is WoW to begin with & then on a monthly basis? I like the idea of that level of customization. In StillB's Half-Life 3 example one could just be like 'This? Oh I won this bad boy off some fool a ways over there & have been upgrading it ever since.' Brings a greater sense of ownership to the whole thing y'know? Unlocks are another thing altogether. Everyone I know is compulsive about unlocking shit, whatever it is, but being able to say that everything in your arsenal/garage/whatever is there because you fucking wanted it. That's flat-out cool.

In a perfect world, We'd pay the normal price for the game, maybe a nominal fee jacked onto your internet connection by way of subscription(I really don't like the idea of using my credit card in a fucking game), and with an expansive map, let there be arenas where fighters/racers/shooters can compete, or complete house challenges for 'credits'. And that's the currency used in these things. No external stimulus, an interactive real-time economy where players can bet, swap or even donate credits, weapons, parts, whatever y'know? You may say I'm a Dreamer...

Edited by Skeeter

Riiidge Racer is left over from e3 when Kaz Hirai bombed in the keynote.

In Liepzig Sony revealed no new information on ANYTHING and said to wait until TGS

And now the TGS keynote is over and from all reports it was HORRIBLE. No gameplay, and over an hour of Ken Kutaragi rambling about the internets and stuff.

Well, no price drop for the US apparently:

From 1up

UPDATE: SCEA told 1UP that the price drop in Japan for the 20 GB version of the PlayStation 3 is exclusive to that territory and that the scheme for the U.S. pricing of the console would remain identical. $499 for the 20GB version of the console and $599 for the 60GB SKU. However, as previously reported, both versions now have HDMI.

ORIGINAL STORY:During the Q&A session following Ken Kutaragi's presentation, the Sony CEO revealed media and retailer complaints about the price have resulted a price drop of the 20GB model to "below 50,000 yen," including tax, and will include the HDMI port previously exclusive to the 60GB model.

That price drop would put the 20GB model of Sony's PlayStation 3 at roughly $429 dollars. Will this price drop stick across different territories? Are we in for a shock with Sony's price scheme?

If the price drop is universal across the 20GB versions, would Sony have to drop the price of the 60GB (premium SKU)? Then the only difference between the two is the units is the 40GB of memory and some silver trim, right? Our hunch is that this drop is for Japan only.

We're expecting an official announcement in the near future -- Sony has an event this evening at their Japanese headquarters. We'll update this story as soon as we hear more.

Kinda wierd that Japan now gets its consoles for cheaper than we do, it wasn't always this way.

Yeah, though I think part of it is that Japanese console sales have been down over the last several years, especially in comparison to the handheld and cellphone market. Sony dropped the price in response to the Japanese thinking the $500 model is too expensive. To be fair they ARE getting boned on the premium model whose price will be set by retailers with no MSRP, some of those will be going for a few grand I'm sure.

And look at it this way, at least our CDs aren't upwards of $40.

talked to babbage's and EB today at international mall: both are considering pre-pays very close to the day when they have exact #'s (as bish said, they got burned by the 360) but even then, 5-10 units is what theyre expectin: theyre tellin everyone to wait till march or some shit.

400,000 units isnt much. so, nov 16th, im forming a group and camping out a few places. Get a system, controller and a game and im thinkin clearing 2K on ebay's a possibilty (yeah im one of those fucks), just need to find out which major retail chains are gettin how much, and which ones are limit 2 or more per customoer or some shit.