Hondo's Bar

Playstation 3

The NZA

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, its all official: PS3 pricecut!

$600 becomes $500 officially over here in less than a week (you can get it right now at some stores like Target, i hear), plus the other great news for me is that Sony's gonna do E3 coverage over Playstation Network, the way XBL does, so im happy to say we should hopefully get some good shit like the new Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer next week, with rumors of an overhaul for the store/layout and demos for Lair and Heavenly Sword soon! :welcome:

Other big, non-MGS games at the show are Kilzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, White Knight Story and several others; the crying about "there's not enough games!" should soon come to an end. I cant fucking wait.

On that note, i just picked up Oblivion so yeah, that's where im at most of the time these days (that, or finally getting into Beyond Good & Evil last week). Its everything id heard, crazy open ended where you feel like you could do anything, so my Highlander guy's all about the gladiator arena last few days, finally back to the main quest last night - where the fuck is the Fighter's Guild?! Takes a while to sort out leveling up, and i think my next guy'll be part of the dark assasin or whatever guild and possibly a vamp, oughta be fun.

Id like to add that all those times i was they never voiced over Link cause Miyamoto says he's supposed to be relatable to any character? Im a fan of Link, but i never felt that was more than just an easy way to avoid voiceovers. Oblivion, however, you can really make someone look/act more like you than any RPG ive ever seen so far, so that's indeed impressive, and its balancing its looseness/freedom with plot well so far, we'll see how it goes but im enjoying it.

The Darkness should be in next week, Ninja Gaiden Sigma whenever im done with that. Ill be sure to post on E3 shit (likely in its own thread) and post wolrdwise price slash info here as well.

Glad you're liking Oblivion, do the Dark Brotherhood stuff when you get the chance. Holy crap that questline rocks.

As for the pricecut news, the current buzz is that Sony will also be releasing another $599 SKU in August that will be packed with Motorstorm and have an $80 gig hard drive. That just screams rip off, and honestly I can't see buying that one over the $499 model. The price cut should be going into effect later today.

I think it's good that Sony is cutting the price on the main system, though I'm hearing that it may be in order to clear out the 60GB models they have on shelves right now, and then have the 80GB one as the main SKU from now on. So who knows, I think that Sony should be trying to keep the hell away from any sort of $599 price point, especially one which is a rip-off compared to the cheaper model.

The 80GB one is supposedly going to finally nix the hardware BC, and will actually be cheaper for Sony to produce. So who knows, maybe once the 60GBs are gone, Sony will drop Motorstorm and have the 80GB PS3 as the only model for $499. Time will tell I suppose.

Glad you're liking Oblivion, do the Dark Brotherhood stuff when you get the chance. Holy crap that questline rocks.

yeah, looking forward to it. I wasnt kidding tho, i cant find the Fighter's Guild, is it on the map?

i need to talk to you sometime, i think ive got the leveling thing down but im not certain.

As for the pricecut news, the current buzz is that Sony will also be releasing another $599 SKU in August that will be packed with Motorstorm and have an $80 gig hard drive. That just screams rip off, and honestly I can't see buying that one over the $499 model. The price cut should be going into effect later today.

I think it's good that Sony is cutting the price on the main system, though I'm hearing that it may be in order to clear out the 60GB models they have on shelves right now, and then have the 80GB one as the main SKU from now on. So who knows, I think that Sony should be trying to keep the hell away from any sort of $599 price point, especially one which is a rip-off compared to the cheaper model.

The 80GB one is supposedly going to finally nix the hardware BC, and will actually be cheaper for Sony to produce. So who knows, maybe once the 60GBs are gone, Sony will drop Motorstorm and have the 80GB PS3 as the only model for $499. Time will tell I suppose.

yeah, 20 GB really is irreleavant when you can switch out the drive, and the Motorstorm demo's pretty, i got friends online who love it but racers arent for me, and that's certainly not a deal.

Personally, i think you nailed it on the head: theyve got unsoled PS3's all over, i completely see the 60GB model gone and replaced when this is done with the cheaper tech, very possibly bundled in at $500 with Lair, Heavenly Sword or even Metal Gear, whatever sells best by the holidays, but that part's a guess. Anyway, yes, i too very much doubt that SKU's gonna be around long.

That said, you/gunsmithx thinking about joining anytime soon? i figured youre waiting till at least MGS and such.

Gunsmith is probably gonna get one within the week way he's been talking. Though I still think that you are smoking something if you think MGS4 makes it out by the holidays. The new pics of the 80GB one say limited eition, so yeah, I figure it will last as long as it takes to clear the 60GBs out of the retail channel. Still as far as bundles go, this one is AWFUL, it just seems like not enough value for the extra $100.

I'm curious to see if this annoucement is going to make MS drop its price. I would think so, but God knows that the big 3 have all done shit that has had me baffled. We'll find out on tuesday I suppose.

If BC is important to you though I'd recommend anyone planning on getting a PS3 to grab a 60 while they can.

The elephant in hte room night now though is this: Is $499 still too expensive for the market? Hell, I think $399 for the 360 is too expensive for the market, and I think sales are backing me up. I mean, Sony will have some pretty good games at the end of the year, but w/o MGS4 and FFXIII, is there enough out there to grab the people who still haven't made the jump?

Though I still think that you are smoking something if you think MGS4 makes it out by the holidays.

the last remixed trailer had, at the end, 08, then scratched it out for 07. jap date, possibly, but everything im seeing online still lists 2007 so until word comes in saying otherwise, im not ruling it out. we got time left, and my youthful optimism.

I'm curious to see if this annoucement is going to make MS drop its price. I would think so, but God knows that the big 3 have all done shit that has had me baffled. We'll find out on tuesday I suppose.

I would think so too, but youre right, there's a lotta crazy things going on this gen, plus MS is still on top (overall sales wise) and wants to keep digging out of that hole, so its not a given. Ill say this: ill make the jump in '08 after the slash and more reliable hardware makes it out.

If BC is important to you though I'd recommend anyone planning on getting a PS3 to grab a 60 while they can.

Yeah, i cant stress that enough either.

The elephant in hte room night now though is this: Is $499 still too expensive for the market? Hell, I think $399 for the 360 is too expensive for the market, and I think sales are backing me up. I mean, Sony will have some pretty good games at the end of the year, but w/o MGS4 and FFXIII, is there enough out there to grab the people who still haven't made the jump?

Well, Sony sure expects to double sales, the coming week should determine a lot too i think.

I too wish they couldve gone lower; the closer you get to $300 or so, the more that whole "the gaming market's all casual now!" shit flies out the window. Still, i do expect a big jump if the games are laid out right for the holidays as well; in my mind, PS3's the name-brand system your average consumer wants (or, before the games, wants to want), it just needs to get into their price range or offer some really great looking shit for what its asking. Couple this slash with the fall lineup and any chance of the online network nearly rivaling XBL (for free) and i honestly think theyre in a position to do nothing but clumb up.

But look at this week....no new games this week here, no real updates to the online store last week. We need to get past this awkward period, but it looks more and more like its ending.

Yes I'm going to try for one this week(and if I get my new target credit card it's only 450$ I love deals) honestly closer to 200 is really what you want for the causal fan as george and I were discusing last night how a large bulk of sales happened for xbox and ps2 when they hit the 200 mark, and look at how the wii is selling(it's fun but the price helps alot) one of things thats going to be curious is assuming that nintendo keeps up the momentum is how the next gen will shape up.. but thats like 5 years down the road. (by this i mean will we see a return to the 299 price point for launch.)

I truly think Sony goes out of it's way to piss off Nick.

newLogo_final.gif

Sony cuts PlayStation 3 price by $100

And announces new $599, 80 GB model coming in August

The Associated PressUpdated: 8:10 a.m. ET July 9, 2007

Sony Corp. slashed the price of its current PlayStation 3 by $100, or 16.7 percent, and introduced a high-capacity model in an effort to spur sales of the struggling video game console.

Starting Monday, the current 60 gigabyte model will cost $499, down from $599.

The Japanese electronics maker also said it is introducing a new version of the PlayStation 3 with a bigger hard drive for storing downloaded content such as video games and high-definition movies.

The new PS3 increases the system's storage capacity to 80 gigabytes from 60 gigabytes and also includes a retail copy of the online racing title "MotorStorm," a company spokesman said. It will be priced at $599.

The larger capacity machine won't be available in the United States and Canada until August.

It plays into the company's upcoming strategy of eventually offering downloaded high-definition movies, video games, movie trailers and demos, Sony spokesman David Karraker said.

Karraker said further details on high-def movies for download would be released at a later date.

The announcement comes two days before the E3 Media & Business Summit in Santa Monica, Calif., where dozens of industry heavyweights including Sony rivals Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo Co. are expected to show off their latest games and related products.

Sony has said it sold 3.6 million PS3s in the fiscal year ending March 31 and expects to sell another 11 million in the current fiscal year. Microsoft said in its most recent quarterly earnings report filed in April that it had shipped 11 million Xbox 360s.

Nintendo, meanwhile, claims it has sold nearly 6 million Wiis worldwide as of March 31, and more than 40 million Nintendo DS handhelds. The company has predicted it will sell another 14 million Wiis and 22 million additional DS systems by the end of the current fiscal year.

The Wii and PS3 were released within days of each other late last year. Microsoft had a head start in the current generation of consoles, having launched its Xbox 360 in 2005. Last week, the software company announced an extension of the warranty due to the high number of systems suffering from hardware failure, also called the "red ring of death."

In April, Microsoft began selling a version of its Xbox 360 with a 120-gigabyte hard drive and a souped up high-definition video connection. Called Xbox 360 Elite, the black-colored system sells for $479.99.

Xbox gamers who already own the $399.99 20-gigabyte model can buy a snap-on 120-gigabyte hard drive for $179.99.

Karraker said Sony would use the E3 show to focus on two areas: ways to increase the number of consumers who own PS3s and other products such as the PlayStation Portable handheld system, and expanding the system's library of available games.

He said Sony would be releasing 100 new video games during the current fiscal year, including 15 titles that are exclusive to the PS3 such as the hack-and-slash action title "Heavenly Sword."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19674547/

Edited by archangel

arch - its cool, we all knew the cut was coming, i got what i wanted.

SOF - im really sad they didnt get the cut, but im not ruling it out yet, these bundles are them getting rid of Motorstorm (good game, but they can make plenty) and non-rumble controllers, i think. We're all expecting news whenever the 60 GB systems run out like they want, likely by the holidays.

Sony ran shit at E3 this year.

-Killzone 2 lived up to the expectations from the 2005 CG trailer.

-Metal Gear Solid 4: exclusive, baby! for however long, anyway.

-Unreal Tournament 3 exclusive, likely for a short while, the big news for fans of the seires is the announcement to share mdos with the PC community

-LittleBigPlanet looks better than ever, and the user-content share thing they focused on is really promising, that and some other PSN titles looked like more of what i want from the service.

-The demo on Home wasnt overly exciting, but Phil going into a room with 6 friends and launching a game from there is a good example of what's needed from the online system.

-for what its worth to me, Gran Turismo 5 prelude or whatever looked gorgeous.

-some unexpected ones like Infamous and Echodrome looked promising.

im forgetting numerous ones, but that's the future lineup, aside from what comes in september from Tokyo Game Show. They didnt spend as much time on this year's lineup, which was fair since we got trailers/demos forthcoming for Lair, Heavenly Sword and such this month. The show really did a great job of shutting up the complaint of a lack of games, i think, and kept the GDC momentum going by showing that, yeah, its off to a slow start, but its a Playstation, you know what to expect.

what's funny is that im looking to actually have a belated demo on the Darkness before playing the #$%@ing game.

You know, MGS4 is at the top of my list with Little Big Planet right behind. But being a HUGE UT fan, I cant wait to mod the hell out of it (cuz god knows my PC can't handle UT3). Man...seeing that the price cut is 'till the 60GB model sells out, I must get one by the end of the month....sigh...but i also need to save up for that car too... ARRRGGGHHHH!!! Godammit!!! I hate being a responsible adult. :anger:

yeah, i hate it too - listen, much as i wanna see you online, theyre said to have 4 million or so of the 60 GB's floating around, so no one knows if theyll last till/through the holidays or not, my bet is sony's somehow hoping they wont. Point is, if you cant get one till sometime in August, im sure itll be alright...youre only gonna miss Lair and some demos, to be honest.

just dont be like gunsmith/bish. theyre never online, even if you give them games! not even to fold!

PS thsi is all we got on Infamous, the new superhero good guy/bad guy game that some are already somehow comparing to Crackdown, take a look:

infamous.jpg

I would like to state I"m at work all day and it's george who's never online to fold, he's proabbly to busy playing his lolbox ;) plus I've been a little busy this past weekend, but just wait as I got a gamefly account this weekend so I'll get some games.... and maybe do some folding.

i really do wanna put resistance down and let you borrow it, man, its just that im trying to play to justify the map pack...yeah, gamefly's a great idea, at that. They just sent me The Darkness, ill prolly keep that for a week or so depending on how i likes it, then after the last of the PS2 bootleggery, its onto Sigma for a few weeks, till Lair comes out.

Ive added like 30+ to my PSN people just from kotaku. im hoping for about 5 of us by the time Home comes out, and some good online games to meet up for.

Oh! did anyone else here about the Oblivion-like custom character cration for White Knight Story, ? holy shit!

white-knight-story-20070717032408900.jpg

white-knight-story-20070717032410635.jpg

white-knight-story-20070717032412291.jpg

yup... GTsig.png

dont know how long this'll hold out for, but...

PS3 20 GB for $450 on Gamestop!

seriously; the drive is interchangable, so if you dont care about wi-fi or card readers (i dont use either fetaure, personally) its a good deal. Thing is, Amazon's usually the place to buy these things from, as they dont charge tax, so between that and shipping, im not certain exactly what the total'd come to, but at least the base price is as cheap as ive ever seen it for.

With White Knight Story being playable at Tokyo Game Show, and the announcement of LittleBigPlanet geting a public beta in the coming months, plus the sony exclusives start in a few weeks, id say its as good a time as ever - still a chance theyll drop the price again by the holidays, but smart money's on the 80 GB for $500 over here; id love to tell you $450 but there's no garuntees of any kind.

At least, rumors have the euro kids getting their proper price-cut in the next month or so at the big german game show.

More on the LittleBigPlanet announcement:

• Your character has different moods (changed by hitting a direction on the D-pad) and depending on these moods, he will control differently. He will bounce as he moves if happy, or keep his head low and walk like he's pouting when sad.
  • Player vs. Player mode will be available -- there's more than just cooperating to create a level. An example of this would be the "Racing Mode" where levels are built for speed. If you've ever played the final stage in Earthworm Jim 2, we expect something like that footrace with Psy-Crow. That was a hard level.
  • LBP is nearly complete and a public beta is supposedly hitting the PSN sometime this fall prior to release.

3.jpg

in other news: Folklore looks better each time i see it. Heavenly Sword and Lair demos soon, The Darkness has one up on the UK store as well...the only game im not feeling as much is Jericho; last video i saw kinda put my expectations down a notch...sorry, a hellish shooter is a lot less scary with that many one-liners.

that's a fair deal; from the launch, there's resistance and im not sure what else youd be down for, your call. ill meet up for resistance games tho, im geting better, even got the headset & map packs, im so hardcor3.

remember, if you dont manage that deal, watch for price-cut news, soon. lotta rumors from that german show, cant recall the name tho.

gonna be great to have you both on, soon enough.