Hondo's Bar

Playstation 3

The NZA

i wish i could get it going, but the custom firmware on my psp, as i understand it, is one of the more stable ones that plays a lotta PS1 games. bishop says he's got a later version that can work with remote play (i think) but id hate to lose some of my emulation.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Sony Megaton Rumors from a supposed employee:

- New 80GB PS3 bundle with 2 games will be launched at the end of March. It will cost $399.

- New 40GB PS3 SKU will be launched this May. It will cost $299.

- PSP Slide will be shown for the first time in this year's E3. It will launch next year.

- The currently available PSP model will get a price cut too. The cost will be $119.

- Fumito Ueda will be there in GDC09. He will announce 2 projects. One of them is Shadow of the Colossus Online.

- Syphon Filter is in development for the PS3. Apparently the developers are using the Killzone 2 engine.

- Insomniacs are developing a new action platformer RPG. It looks like a Zelda clone.

- Jak 4 is on the way too.

- Daxter 2 will be on ready at the time of the PSP Slide launch.

- Legend of Dragoon 2 is under development and is to be launched in Japan this year.

Take them with a grain of salt people. Let's hope some are true. :blink:

Edited by Losifer

• 2 weeks later...

recently the optical out on my ps3 has been flaky. so i go and look up what's going on with the system. Lo and behold, i find the ps3 version of the RROD. Granted not as frequent, it proves it's not bulletproof. and dammit, ps3 get your sound issues under control... (don't say it's anything else, because it's been verified to work properly on my xbox1)

YLOD

dude, every system has a failure rate - this is the lowest sony's ever had, if you think about it.

i still say this is what you get for keeping it sideways and surrounded by cats.

which sound issues you having, though? i told you, my stereo here doesnt always kick sound on the XMB menu, but its flawless once you start any game/media.

• 1 month later...
So uhm, quick question: with the PS3 being all region-free and all, is it fussy about region for DVDs at all? I get that Blu-rays wouldn't be locked to anything, but what about regular DVDs?

Only the games are region-free.

Blu-rays and dvds are still region-locked.

I dig Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore was good, obviously MGS4, several others but i play a lotta multi-plat ones over there too.

before you make the dive, some shit you might not know getting into a ps3:

+ yeah, PSN games/downloads/DLC can be shared, with few exceptions, region-free, with you linking up to 4 other systems. past that, it wont work, hence why i gotta call sony and try to get some slots open for friends.

- demos, PSN games etc, if downloaded in the background (which you're gonna do) have to be decompressed/installed, which takes time. some people get pissy at this.

- many games bring mandatory installs, which take up a chunk of your drive space. ive a 60GB and im down to like 4 GB myself from playing so much shit.

- no integrated custom soundtracks, and the online system itself isnt integrated - which is to say, when playing a game like LBP, you can invite me to join a game with you. when playing another title that doesnt have that built it, its not as easy. Live is much better at this, but then, you get what you pay for with online service.

+ that said, my experience with gaming on PSN (fighters, FPSs etc) has been largely lag-free.

- compared to xbox, firmware updates happen all the goddamn time, or at least every few months. they take time to install. on the plus side, sometimes they bring pretty useful shit.

+ controllers have built-in rechargeable batteries. some online folk bitch about them losing sync; ive never had this happen once.

+ PS3 reads most bootleg video formats; whatever it doesnt, you can get it to do so with PS3 media server.

- if you like playing music off your drive, ps3 does this well enough, but you cant do anything else while doing so (like browsing, etc)

+ the browser's not bad, newt uses it far more than i.

- viewing other players' trophy collections takes a few seconds to sync up and get, just about every time. i find this annoying but the last firmware did speed it up a bit.

+ gamewise, you're gonna get every major release (that's not exclusive to MS, natch), and unlike the first year, ports are gonna look damn near identical with anything not made by valve.

- that said, MS does get timed exclusives (E3 might bring a few), which means getting certain titles later.

+ that said, sony seems to have some weird clause that if that does happen, when a game comes over to ps3, it brings more content/extras/gameplay on its release. with some titles, like Tales of Vesperia etc its a clearly superior version (shit ton of extras).

+ you can skin the shit out of the ps3 for free, and some themes look fucking awesome, custom icons and all. ill show you a few sites to hit up and find what you dig (there's comic ones too, but none that ive liked enough to use).

hope that helps man. love to see you on PSN, just wanna make sure you know what you're getting into as well.

:sad: to nick for informing the shit out of me there, a secondary one to Newt for yesterday for his help as well. Not a lot of that's too suprising since it's pretty much what I deal with with the PSP. We'll have to see how this trophy system works to see whether or not I give a fuck, more than anything if this happens the PS3's gonna be more of a media device & for exclusives. Is anyone else interested in the Playtv thing?

if you like playing music off your drive, ps3 does this well enough, but you cant do anything else while doing so (like browsing, etc)
You can play music while using the web browser.The browser isn't bad (kept me sane while waiting to buy a computer) but it tends to freeze up a bit. So you need to power down the system and do a restart.
aino.jpg
Sony may not yet be ready to dive in feet first with a PlayStation branded phone, but the new Sony Ericsson Aino brings some of that "gadget to gadget" magic Sony bossman Howard Stringer teased.The Aino will let users control their PlayStation 3s using "Remote Play," allowing for across-the-internet streaming of media from your home console to your cell phone. Not bad. While it may not let you play Lair on the bus, it will apparently let you stream movies, music and whatever other media content you may have stored on your PS3 wherever you are in the world.It's the same tech introduced in PSP firmware 3.50, which actually works rather well.The Aino also lets some European users enjoy the PlayTV service on PlayStation 3 on their phones. It also does a bunch of things that people expect phones to do now, like take 8.1 megapixel pictures, access Facebook and do the Google. Expect it to hit this year for an undisclosed sum.
<

Really? Do you want it? I only want it because I miss being able to watch tv in my room so this is a pretty elegant solution. Throw in wifi manipulation of it while on the run and I'm looking forward to picking it up off Ebay.

Really? Do you want it? I only want it because I miss being able to watch tv in my room so this is a pretty elegant solution. Throw in wifi manipulation of it while on the run and I'm looking forward to picking it up off Ebay.

Play-tv won't work for us.

I have a computer next to my TV so when I feel like watching something I'll just hook it up to the TV.

That sucks. Thanks for the article though, makes things a little clearer. Do you play online much with the PS3? IE- Am I likely to see you more than I did on the 360?

Anything I want to watch I can just download so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

You'll see me very often online some weeks and then a week or two you won't but for I'll be more then willing.

Do you have/plan on getting a blue-tooth headset?

Forgot to ask but for how long do you plan on saving your movies or shows on your PS3 HDD.

Nick forgot to mention that you can upgrade you HDD to any size you want.

Edited by newtype