Hondo's Bar

Playstation 3

The NZA

heads up if anyone's thinking about getting a PS triple - $100 off at gamestop until may 29th! you just gotta join their Powered Up program and uh, get lucky?

Members-Only Exclusive!

Purchase a new 160 or 320 GB Sony PlayStation 3 between now and Sunday, May 29, and get $100 off*!

This hot deal requires a coupon to receive the discount, but we've got you covered! Look for the coupon in your Active Offers section of your PowerUp Rewards account. Simply log in, print your members-only coupon, and get to your nearest GameStop store.

Haven't seen all the PlayStation 3 can do? Check out full product details for the 160GB and 320GB systems to help you decide. We think both are stunning in black!

Don't forget to bring your coupon, and swipe your PowerUp Rewards card to get $100 off!

*Limit 1 coupon per customer. Coupon can only be redeemed once. Not valid with any other offer. See associate for details. Selection may vary by store. While supplies last. No substitutions will be made. Valid on in-store and in-stock items only. Not redeemable for cash. Offer valid in the United States, and Puerto Rico. Offer valid 05/09/11 through 05/15/11. SKU# 020066 and 020119.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

source

2hcgad3.jpg

The official page confirms details from the retail leak. The new model will have lower power consumption at 200 watts, lower weight at 2.6kg, and will include a 320 gigabyte hard disc. Pricing is set at ¥34,980, the same as the pricing on similar current models. The included accessories remain unchanged: Dual Shock 3, power cable, AV cable and USB cable.

Namco Bandai's previously announced Tales of Xillia X Edition hardware bundle will include a 160 gigabyte version of the CECH-3000 hardware. Aside from the X Edition release, Sony has not mentioned a solo 160 gigabyte package.

The X Edition hardware bundle is due on September 8, priced at ¥37,980. The hardware includes a special PS3 system and a copy of Tales of Xillia.

im not as big a Tales fan yet as say, gun, but that is dead sexy. shame the new slims aren't as well built as the current batch.

fine for the masses if/when that holiday cut comes, but its worth putting out on here that it's not as well built/more likely to fail than the current model. this gen has given me very little patience for shit not built like tanks, and its worth noting i don't mind paying a premium for quality. that $200 price point is incredibly important, though still less so than say losing a billion or more on having to extend warranties.

god, if this launch unit goes, i'm gonna be livid.

how likely the fail is it really? Untill I hear about massive failure rates I tend not to worry and outside of very early hardware it's been good since.

Also rumors going around now about a massive ps store redo making it less text intesive and more image based, also easier to find deals and search for games. nothing solid yet.

• 1 month later...

PS3 Cross-Game Chat Impossbile Due To RAM

Cross-game voice chat is not possible on the PlayStation 3 because of memory restrictions, Sony has revealed.

"Once a game gets RAM we never give it back," he said. "It's not possible to retrofit something like that after the fact."

"The game has to use its own memory to do [in-game voice chat]. There's always voice chat in the game. But it's a part of a game feature. It's not a part of an OS feature. That's the reason in terms of the ability to have voice chat across different games."

well, at least those of you holding out have an answer. honestly, i value custom soundtracks more.

the irony of the Vita having more RAM is tragic here.

kv.jpg

Hello PlayStation Nation,

I have some exciting news to share with you today. As many of you know, it has been nearly five years since the PS3 first came to the U.S. market with its built in Blu-ray player, integrated hard-drive, built-in wireless, and unmatched hi-def gaming. Today, more than 50 million PS3’s have been sold worldwide, more than 2,495 Blu-ray titles are available and the PS3’s expansive portfolio of games and video content on PlayStation Network exceeds 60,000 titles.

While others in the space are losing steam, PlayStation 3 is gaining momentum and giving gamers everywhere more of what they want: an unparalleled line-up of exclusive games and access to the best in sports, movies and TV, all at a great value.

Today, I believe that value becomes even more evident. I’m excited to share with you that effective immediately at retailers throughout North America, the 160 GB PS3 and the 320GB PS3 are now available for $249 and $299, respectively. In addition, a limited edition inFAMOUS 2 bundle is now available at participating retailers across North America. The bundle retails for $299 and includes a 320 GB PlayStation 3, a copy of inFAMOUS 2 and a 30-day membership to PlayStation Plus.

• 5 weeks later...

ABRTCl.jpg

new-ish slim revision

First word of a new "CECH-3000" model PlayStation 3 surfaced earlier this month. Now a retailer, claiming to have received a briefing on the new model from Sony, has passed along some details.

The CECH-3000B is an updated 320 gigabyte system. It cuts power consumption from 230W to 200W, and cuts weight from 3.0kg to 2.6kg. There are also some external changes to the power and eject buttons, along with the removal of LED lamps, although the retailer report isn't clear about the specifics for this area.

Pricing remains the same as the current model. The new version will be shipped to retailers once current stock runs out.

i forget the actual #'s, but this thing has to be using less than half the power of my near-launch unit, i wanna say.

Those phats are certainly angry, power hungry beasts.

Well made though. We had an early one at Blockbuster (80 gig, so maybe 2nd wave?) and it played a blu-ray for 12-13 hours a day in an enclosed area for over 3 years. Never had one flat out fail on me at any store. There were a few that eventually had a little trouble reading the disc sometimes (eject/wipe/try again etc.), but no flat out failures.

see, i really like hearing that. various sites/forums have me paranoid about my precious 60 (recently upgraded to 80!) GB unit. it's never really given me reason to worry, minus one time years back when the HD lost its way, had to reboot & renamed everything, but extended playing sessions sound like a quiet jetliner taking off. it's well ventilated where it's at and doesn't get as hot as, for instance, my HTPC when it had shitty cooling, but im always nervous nonetheless. damn this whole gen for hardware reliability concerns.

• 3 weeks later...

you're gonna jinx yerself nizzy

Called up the folks at Sony today and asked em if I had to get back the same model. Normally it would cost $129 (formally $150) to get it refurbished, but for $99 they said they'll send me a 120GB model. Imma be losing my precious backwards compatibility :misty but if this keeps me from shelling out more money just to upkeep that one feature so be it. I'll settle on these HD reboots that keep coming. Could never get New Vegas out either so they'll be sending that back to me.

well they give me a 90 day warranty when I get it back. That was long gone with my current system. I guess the guarantee is that it works? I haven't heard of a slim getting the yellow light, so I'm not sure what would've been refurbished. I'm pretty sure both options are refurbished, but I doubt the slim was treated for a the yellow.

• 3 weeks later...

worldwide, yeah - i didn't read the details, so i dunno if it's fiscal year or what; id think you'd need the holiday season to pass by to really know.

really though, with the price drops & exclusives this year, i can see it. i'm thinking MS kinda blew their load on non halo/gears exclusives by pushing devs (like Rare) over to the Kinect, which i have no idea how it's selling this year but i know the price didn't come down any, so i guess it's going well.

PSN to limit gamesharing from five to two (not retroactive)

Most PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable download titles can currently be activated and played on five systems. That's about to change.

Sony announced today that it will be reducing the activation count from five to two. The turning date is November 18, when Sony will hold a PlayStation Network maintenance. Any game purchased after that can be activated and played on only two systems. Any game purchased before then will continue to have the five system count (in other words, the two system limitation will not apply to purchases made before 11/18).

Going along with this change, Sony will be making the process of deactivating games simpler. Previously, you could only activate and deactivate games on the PS3 or PSP. Sony will be opening a PlayStation Network account management website, and you'll now be able to handle your rights there.

*sigh* guess this was bound to happen, glad there's only a few PSN games on deck i wanna play/share - Castlevania, Journey, maybe Moon Diver and Sonic 4 next big sale? sad to see this trimmed down, glad they finally made it so i can deactivate stuff from a site instead of calling them again.

• 10 months later...