Hondo's Bar

Playstation 3

The NZA

still a stupid move, but it was only a matter of time before they came up with a workaround.

Sony Patents Method To Emulate PS2 On PS3

Some background: when the PS3 first launched, it was backwards-compatible, meaning you could play PlayStation 2 games on your new PlayStation 3. The 20GB and 60GB units released in North America and Japan featured hardware emulation (they literally had a PS2 chip inside), while those released in PAL territories featured software emulation (similar to how the 360 handles original Xbox games).

Later, though, this feature was removed. Anyone buying a 40GB, a later model of the 80GB or the 120GB PS3 can't play a single PS2 game on them. It was a stupid, stupid move on the part of Sony.

A patent discovered by Siliconera, however, suggests that Sony might be re-thinking this stance. Filed in December 2008, it's basically a patent for a method that would allow the PS3's Cell chip to translate code from the PS2's Emotion Engine. Not half-assed software emulation (which in previous PS3 models couldn't run some games), full, total replication of the functionality of the Emotion Engine.

Which means, theoretically at least, you could play any PS2 game on any PS3, regardless of the model or year of release.

Whether this would allow you to play actual PS2 discs, or would just be the advance party for the sale of PS2 downloads on the PlayStation Store is unclear. We'd like the former, but with Sony being a business and all, would expect the latter.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony Europe has officially unveiled the long rumored PlayStation 3 Slim today during its press conference at GamesCom in Cologne, Germany.

According to Sony chief Kazuo Hirai, the revamped console will go on sale during the first week of September, and features (as leaked earlier today) a 120GB hard drive among the obvious aesthetical tweaks.

PS3 Slim will retail for approximately 299 EURO/$299 USD – likewise for the current model, which Hirai confirmed would receive a price drop effective as of tomorrow.

500x_250.jpg

damn, so both the Xbox Elite and PS3 slim now at $300. this bad economy has its benefits.

newt's post says 120 GB, not bad. as far as BC: there's crazy rumors right now about emulation, i think we're on a wait-and-see thing here. that gamerscon is still going right now, and tokyo game show's around the corner - please believe as soon as there's anything solid on BC, ill put it up here. i still hate that sony ditched it.

/co-signed. i have to clean up my drive a lot (fucking installs, and why did i have music on there that cant be played in-game anyway?), but i dont wanna spend to upgrade it and frankly, BC makes all the difference. it just makes me nervous when the fans get going that its gonna give like newt's did and ill be ass out when Katamari Forever drops.

Firmware 3.0 is looking sexy. dynamic wallpapers could be cool, but its sad that im a bit excited to finally get some more godamn avatars - where's snake, parappa, ico etc?! fuckakratos!

also, new logo's sexy, looks more like PS2 so the internets seem to be digging the rebranding.

5vakbo.jpg

ditching the spidey font is also cleaning up the boxes, apparently.

138170e.jpg

9pyzhw.jpg

swear to god, theyve got the system neck and neck with the elite, at a fair price. sony, get that backwards compatibility emulation going - i dont care how much theyre denying it today, they fucking pattented the tech not far back - and people will love you again.

meantime, its all this. *sigh*

ps3slimcomparison.jpg

sorry spidey...

yeah, but those had more years apart for slimming the tech, give it time. you looking for dreamcast/gamecube slim?

i cant say i expected them to put the feature back in and really screw that $400 system buyers sect, but the way they're fussing about "its not happening, let this feature go" while trademarking a PS2 emulation technique months back has me thinking this shit's gonna be the same as they did Rumble - take it away, act dumb when people bitch, let the fanboys somehow justify it. Then, make a big hoopla when it returns (in some form - i dont think software emulation will bring 100% or so, but what the fuck do i know about this?). I hope this is the case - its still sony's worst move this gen since $600, my opinion, and the news that a "greatest hits" blu-ray of God of War 1 & 2 would hit before 3 came out struck me as nice but not helpful.

The worst part is reading Jack Tretton's quote that BC supposedly wasnt axed for manufacturing costs, but rather then-lagging PS3 sales. I dont run with PR mouthpiece bullshit much, but if that's true, its even stupider than id feared...i just cant stand the anti-BC crowd i get at GAF and other places sometimes: "hooray, we're shed our connection to the greatest selling console evar, here's to one less option!" ugh.

anyway...thoughts on the rebranding?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, i am not that impressed with the new "Slim" i don't like the matt finish.

The font i suppose is ok, its a little Cuter, than the Spidey font. But its all a bit meh.

I'm glad i bought my 60gig with BC, but to be honest i can't say i've used it that much!!!

Though i believe Capcom will be releasing some of their classics on PSN. Also Konami are reissuing some of their classic games here in europe, including MGS, and Zone of the Enders.

Personally, i am not that impressed with the new "Slim" i don't like the matt finish.

The font i suppose is ok, its a little Cuter, than the Spidey font. But its all a bit meh.

I'm glad i bought my 60gig with BC, but to be honest i can't say i've used it that much!!!

:sad:

my 60G crashed on me (yellow light of death is what the internet called it) gonna cost $160 to fix. and yea its out of warranty :music:

Yeah i've read about that Yellow Light of Death

<touch wood> my PS3 hasn't given me any guff yet!

They are finally getting the pricing right because the PS3 is a serious amount of kit, even if just as an entry level bluray.

But as we know its Games that sell consoles, so i'm really looking forward to Uncharted 2, and Gran Turismo.

Edited by soldier of fortune

the slim's growing on me, but personally, i use BC more than most so i couldnt justify it if i wanted to. and yeah, like SOF, im a bit worried about my system's health since hearing of newt and axel both. im told the fans tend to run more when its full of dust (thing's a magnet for it), and that compressed air does the trick, but i gotta research how - id hate to push said dust further in.

wayne - man, your PSN store might be getting better PS1 games than ours, that's a first! but yeah, Uncharted 2 looks gorgeous...next game im buying is Katamari Forever, though.

Anyone update to Firmware 3.0 yet?

Its mainly cosmetic changes but its not bad all the same.

Yeah our PSN is getting better, but i still haven't bought much on it to be honest.

I agree with the dust and stuff, i regularly hoover off the dust from the inlets on, plus it has to have lots of breathing room i find.

3.0 here, woop woop!

SOF - you gotta see the dynamic wallpapers in motion. if youve a minute, i cant recommend enough making a japanese PSN account . from there, go to the PSN store, grab the first thing that says "Afrika" on the right side (where youd see the most downloaded shit, i think its # 1) and watch zebras in motion, looks great!

In my personal experience, most game consoles that gets good use eventually dies.... nintendo, dreamcast, ps1, etc. glad i don't play enough that my next gens have had any problems (knock on wood). I did let a friend borrow the modded 360 though. I felt good he said it was tough as a brick. Then I felt crunchy when he said he kept it on for a couple days straight.

but back to the ps3. now you don't have to interrupt your gaming session to pick up the damn phone.

papajohnps3em09.jpg

haha, wow. you know, there's a deal going with sony, get a credit card with them and get $100 back on a ps3 slim, making it $200...hard to beat for a card with no annual fee, i think.

/disagree on the inevitable death though (you had a dreamcast die?), PS1's no doubt, ive heard PS2s did bu ti never had it happen. it feels more likely this gen, or maybe im just following the scene more now.