Hondo's Bar

Playstation 3

The NZA

Indeed it was. Mini-reivews for those interested:

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Its everything i wanted in the game, i know im behind but this is fucking awesome. X-Men Legends engine with more villians, Avengers etc, im never against "more of the same, prettier" when i like the idea this much, personally. Worth it to get Moon Knight on board....now, im just waiting for Sony to hurry up & take my money with the expansion, cause i want Hulk & the others too dammit!

Fight Night Round 3 - Its gorgeous. The soundtrack's great. The first person engine takes some getting used to, but its way more involving than previous entries.

But, im interested in seeing how it went on 360, cause our loading times are fucking horrendous. When creating a boxer, changes in face/etc take 3-4 seconds to load. Fights are like 30 seconds before hand (like, starting the game) at least, though it flows without a hitch in-game...still, this always reeks to me of sloppy programming, so i lost interest in what was otherwise an exciting boxing game.

Resistance: Fall of Man: The 2-level demo piqued my interest; its good to actually see a next-gen game here. Im not a big fan of shooters, but this was fun...i saw a fair amount of Gears of War (no real hands-on) so i cant compare them side-by-side but i did enjoy this, and will soon rent it. Gamefly's willing to part with it for around $30 so if i enjoy it, i can see jumping in: level design and bosses are well done. Id like to see more titles made in this manner, as would may PS3 players i imagine.

Q-bert - As hard as i remember, as ive yet to see level 5, sadly. I see the fun of leaderboards/high scores, tho whoever got 5 million is a cheating fuck. I wonder why every atari franchise got an update but this foul-mouthed guy?

Mortal Kombat II - A $5 impulse buy, its arcade perfect but harder than i recall. I was never good at this one.

Tekken: Dark Ressurection - Reminds me why im too cheap to buy a 2nd controller, sadly. But the game's great for $20, its Tekken 5 with more charaters but no Story Mode which isnt that big a loss, its just that bitch Jinpei is practically unbeatable! Still, this is a solid title and im excited about part 6 later this year.

Super Rub-A-Dub was a fun demo but i dont see it going beyond that; flOw is so relaxing that the $5 sale pricetag might yet entice me. Im waiting on demos for Calling all Cars and such, and while im eyeing Gauntlet II, Midway's additions of Rampart, Rampage (great title) etc just dont excite me. Im wondering why i dont yet have demos for Spidey 3 or F.E.A.R., tho i intend to rent both between now and when Ninja Gaiden: Sigma shows up. Its cool that i waited six months to jump in so there's stuff to do until the fall lineup of some great looking titles, tho i can see why the true early adopters are feeling the dry spell.

I should break the top 250 for team Kotaku's folding@home team tonight as well. I gotta say, Sony steps up their Playstation Store as far as more regular demos (thank you guys for Sigma, now get Heavenly Sword out!) and downloadable content, and im going to be loving this. I just registered my system last week, we'll see if i get a beta invite to Home, i think it goes public in July.

PS if you dont dig the sleek black chromed-out look, this might be for you. I was tempted to get a yellow one and name it "hand banana".

Oh, and i learned a bit from this: Top 10 secrets about the PS3 - i didnt know we could share our purchased games (Los, ill hook you up with Tekken DR if i can) and i hadnt even thought of downloading game saves, havent been able to do that since the PS1's dex drive!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week, its Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Resistance (if it comes in in time). After that, just demos, waiting on F.E.A.R. and Oblivion rentals (im losing interest in the special edition of Spidey 3 with every review...), mebbe Calling All Cars.

Should hold me over till Ninja Gaiden: Sigma and Darkness in June, then Stranglehold in July. Come August, it should get interesting.

LittleBigPlanetman.jpg

708x_A060FCD5DB6F8D6CF2C03DEA9A6D4D.jpg

ps for Bish & other PSTriple haters, here's a good spoof of "Home"

• 2 weeks later...

So, having finally figured out how to beat the 1st boss of the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo (hint: fireballs), and realizing my Tekken skills need work or Jinpachi will simply mock me from afar...i'm at Doom's Castle in Ultimate Alliance (everyone unlocked by Fury! fuck, i wish idve been doing the whole "build your team" thing from jump, but i thought id wait since i was switching out people so much... :ghost: ), so that should be done soon but even without the expansion pack i might try the game again in hard mode sometime.

I just got Resistance, played the first few levels with Bishop and i had a blast, clearly ive been missing out some of the fun of shooters...once i get better, according to another forum i have 40+ man deathmatches with no lag to look forward to, that should be cool. Obilivion's next, might pick up Calling all Cars as the XBLA-like min-game soon, especially since ive been told i can pick up some adapter to use my PS2 controllers for multiplay, cause ill be damned if i pay $50 for more contorllers when you just know therye gonna put rumble back soon.

I cant say enough how happy i am that there's no more memory cards. I even figured out that you cant save over someone else's game these days; once Kertins logs in on my system, she gets her own realm for game data that doesnt touch mine. Thank god, now there's no excuse for deletes, plus you can back up your data!

Im signing up tomorrow for a japanese PSN account to see what demos/videos they have that we dont....Bish got blessed with a demo for Eternal Sonata on the jap XBL and i dont hold out hopes for anything nearly that interesting, but fuck, its free right? Cant hurt to look.

On my off time, im almost in the top 100 for my Folding@home team, but i must admit, i havent touched the Wii since my purchase here, and i need to finish up Paper Mario (this might change with the summer announcement of Metroid Prime 3, we'll see). My plan of renting a game from Gamefly and holding out till they let it go for half-price is 2 for 2 so far, let's see if they go cheap on Oblivion! I refuse to pay $60 for any non-Metal Gear Solid 4 game.

Again, i know people bitch about a drought but there's plenty for me right now to catch up on. They just announced my summer release of Stranglehold is gonna come with the blu-ray of Hard Boiled as a pack-in, so honestly, i couldnt be happier. I just look forward to the fall/christmas lineup, price slash & inevitable sales in hopes of seeing more of you guys on board down the road when its worth it.

Thing is, Sony's got a lotta great looking new properties out in the fall, but they really need a big, established name to combat Halo 3 for the holidays, even with a price cut, so it wouldnt be ideal if it gets the delay, which with Kojima, is always possible, no matter how much Sony pushes.

We just dont know yet. Some stores are slotting it as Feb '08, some are still showing it by October. Until we hear from Konami in Japan its all speculation.

I do know that FF XIII has no chance of an '07 release, tho we're expecting the demo in the fall.

Gaming sites/blogs are all over it; apparently, upscalling was what many were waiting for. I mostly watch downloaded movies and sadly much of my lost PS2 collection is now on the hard drive so i cant yet take advantage of this too much. I did recently play God Hand and it looked sharper (you even have the option to letter box or widescreen games, basically) but its hard to say if its the resolution or my improved TV for now. Remote play, i gotta look into. Anyway, i just picked up that $15 adapter to use PS2 controllers on the system...sure, its not wireless but itll have to do. Theyve basically said the dual shock/rumble comes back in November at Kojima (MGS)'s beheast so im holding out for one of those bad boys.

I was bitching to Bishop about this....since E3 got downsized, everyone's doing their own shows, and Sony's Game Day was just the other week. They unveiled some really great looking games for the fall - Uncharted, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, Warhawk, numerous others. But the PS store only gives us one HD-trailer for Uncharted, what gives?! even worse, i learned how to setup a japanese account (pretty easy with that guide) and found they had so much more shit! few demos, 2 Devil May Cry 4 trailers, all kindsa shit! I even setup a UK one and found a trailer for The Darkness that id never seen....our thursday updates for PSN so far are weak. Thank god for such great firmware updates, cause theyre totally missing out by not giving me more trailers/demos here...i mean, what sells a game batter than a demo?

Anyway, after Game Day's great lineup, even more moves/rumors of a price slash, and some news on Metal Gear Solid 4's chance of an '07 release, i think the PS3 is gonna get the respect it deserves this holiday, if it plays its cards right. MS has a headstart and triple the install base, but i think they can close the gap if they keep making the right moves here. E3's in mid-July, so there's more to come. Me, i just picked up Resistance, so between that and games from the store, plus either F.E.A.R. or Obilivion (i should rent them both soon, hopefully), im good till this summer's Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Stranglehold, Darkness and possibly Folklore.

you know, i hadnt even though of being rid of that inconvenience yet, but that's all the more reason the purchase was essential. I tried it out first on Tekken: Dark Ressurection and it worked like a charm, that's what i was hoping for for the BBQ in case anyone wanted to play that one.

Ever since i realized i have no chance, ever, of being on the Q-Bert scoreboards, ive strayed. Level 5 is a cruel muth, and whoever J-whatever is at the # 1 spot with 5 mil+ clearly has game genie technology from the future.

Also, SOF: here's a look at a few PS2 titles upscaled, and since you euro kids (and soon to be us, next production run i think) have varying levels of backwards compatibility, here's a great chart to see which PS2 titles are currently comptatible, and even rates them on how well they work. Hope it helps.

ps3ownerbaroe2.png

Well, newt left it at my place after the BBQ, so ill try it soon.

My complaints about the PSN still stand, we just got Ridge Racer add-ons this week...but, the japanese store got a lengthy FolkSoul demo, which is a lotta fun when you can figure out what youre doing past the kanji. Its a really pretty game, and if the surreal-looking plot holds up, i think ill be down for it.

Oblivion and F.E.A.R. are never in stock at Gamefly, ive accpeted this. Fortunatley, ive kept busy: i beat Reistance today, and must say, that game was awesome. The plot doesnt really go in any directions you wouldnt expect from a shooter, and the main character Nathan Hale (cant get more american than that) was every bit as charming and monosyllibic as Master Chief or so. Design and layout was great, i couldve gone for more enemies/bosses but i cant wait to see what the sequel offers.

That said, i went online for the first time with it, and that was awesome! Getting a game going didnt take much time at all, and there was absolutley no lag at all when i did, which was a pleasant surprise. I of course got housed with like 2 kills to my name and definitely need work/practice learning the maps, but i had a great time and look forward to more online play. Now, im hoping for the added content next week, and might just pick up Calling All Cars! soon for the same reason.

Again, hoping for a price slash so more of you can join me by the holidays. I know, i know, i oughta join up on XBL, but too late now...

Anyway, the surplus of quality PS1 titles on the japanese page made me jealous, so my latest trend is hunting down classic titles i wanted back that i dont know/thiink will get on the store. So far, i got great deals on Die Hard Trilogy, Wu-Tang, MGS: VR, Um Jammer Lammy, Bushido Blade, No One can stop Mr Domino!, Final Fantasy Chronicles, and uh, i got stiff on Symphony of the Night but its ok cause that game's awesome. Now, im down to finding Strider 2, PaRappa, Incredible Crisis, and a copy of Herc's Adventures for less than like $40.

...oh! did anyone see the update on how Udon studios is remaking Street Fighter HD for PS3/360? Here's a shot of Ken, in-game!

522406933_78f4d17560_o.jpg

PS just throwin it out there.

TheIrishNinja.png

^ dammit, does clicking that image work for anybody else? its supposed to show ive a game scheduled, with the details, but im not seeing that.

since no one can stop reading my sexy PS3 journal, today was a half-dozen more Resistance deathmatches. Im beginning to wonder if my enemies possess USB mice & keyboards. my current "dont end up in last place" goal is working, and im killing people more on purpose than ever before.

Newt thinks this is how one becomes a fan of shooters, and i suspect he fears in a few months time, i will be loudly yelling racist and homophobic obscenities to strangers through a headset. Sony cant get more games out quick enough for me to return to my roots.

Oh, and i just figued out that if you pick the other character in FolkSoul, its a whole differnet story/enemies. I hope they intertwine like Leon did with what's her name in Resident Evil 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Cant wait for the day, los.

Well, i made a few friends but havent played Resistance in a bit; got into the Warhawk beta tho! The game's great, tho sixaxis dogfights are kicking my ass. Its online-only, but even the ground combat (with vehicles!) is cool, im enjoying that.

Still, at the moment, im caught up with reliviing my PS1 classics: im just about at the reverse castle of Symphony of the Night, bought that back along with Die Hard Trilogy, Strider 2, Incredible Crisis, Wu-Tang Clan, FF Chronicles (Chrono Trigger! :yup: with loading time still! :pig: ), MGS: VR missions, and Kertin's favorite, No One can stop Mr Domino! All that's left is Parappa & Um Jammer Lammy and the circle's complete.

Im determined to get F.E.A.R. or Oblivion out of Gamefly in the coming weeks, and im hopeful for a public beta of Home soon too. Sigma's a week or so off, and im this close to pre-paying for the special edition of Stranglehold, that's so cool. If reviews are kind, ill likely go with Darkness too. Everything has a chance till MGS 4 shows up...if E3 sets a november date, ill fucking dance.

Oh! and im thinking of picking up a headset, got recommended a good $20 offa ebay, same price for wireless mouse & keyboard so we'll see, i think ill play enough online to warrant the purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

by popular demand: my further PS3 journaling.

F.E.A.R. - I gotta admit, i was let down.

For one, i was convinced it was more a horror/supernatural shooter than a stragiht shooter with occasional horror elements, and the port? Its as bas as the reviews said: it looks sharp for a PS2 game at times. Framerate was eh, its like playing in shit resolution: muddy brows and grays make this game. I just coudlnt get into it for more than a few hours, and online mode never worked for me, prolly cause it was like 5 AM.

Obilivion's likely next, here's to hoping i can get into that one.

Reviews are strong for upcoming Ninja Gaiden Sigma and newbie The Darkness (hoping to rent that one this month) so im excited, plus the newest PSN game, Super Stardust HD is being called the most fun game on the network so between that and Resistance's new mappack, ill likely be making some small purchases soon.

Recent updates have been very cosmetic; E3's but a week and a half away, with rumors of firmware brining in-game media bar access (plus, firmware guys swear custom soundtack ability is already there somehow) so if that flies, and we get things like chatting across games etc, by the time Home goes public, i expect to be caught up to XBL's best features, which is great news.

E3 should bring this, with a date on MGS4, updates on White Knight story, etc, plus we get the demo for Lair soon, so good times ahead! If they make a significat pricecut announcement, i think itll be a huge turning point for the system. Regardless, fall is looking better every day.

hah! that's great news.

hmm....honestly, i think id wait; E3 is in a week and a half, were expecting to hear a price-cut there, and if not, by the holidays (i know theyre crazy expensive over there), plus like i said, the online should be more fine-tuned by then as well, plus youll have more games. Im enjoying mine, and id love to have hondonians on board, but if you can get a good deal on a solid HDTV (prices are better these days, from what ive seen) that might be ideal. Your call, itll look alright either way, just might work out cheaper & better if you can join up in the fall with the TV of your choice, too.