Hondo's Bar

Most Funky Fresh Bass Line

What is your all time favorite bass line? That bass line that can make you put a song on loop 10 times without you wanting to put on anything else? For me, it's got to be....

The Magnificent Seven by The Clash.

Ba-dum...bum bum bu-da-bu-dabum dum dum...dadadum dum dum....

I actually don't think that song is that great. The melody and lyrics are actually a tad weak compared to The Clash's stuff on London Calling or their eponymous debut, but that bass line gets my hip going every time.

Good question...there's all kindsa jazz ones im forgettin; offhand, i get happy when i hear the opening strings to Coltrane/Davis "So What".

Diggable Planets used to have some good ones too, as i recall.

Fucking Jaco is nuts. You know he basically invented the fretless electric bass by prying out the frets off his electric bass with plyers and filling in the grooves with plaster then sanding it down? It took him weeks of practice to make it sound halfway decent.

• 3 years later...
Good question...there's all kindsa jazz ones im forgettin; offhand, i get happy when i hear the opening strings to Coltrane/Davis "So What".

Diggable Planets used to have some good ones too, as i recall.

such a great bassline that with the trumpet and all

anyone heard joy division - transmission or any basslines in post-punk like the fall, public image ltd, gang of four etc

• 1 month later...
What is your all time favorite bass line? That bass line that can make you put a song on loop 10 times without you wanting to put on anything else? For me, it's got to be....

The Magnificent Seven by The Clash.

Ba-dum...bum bum bu-da-bu-dabum dum dum...dadadum dum dum....

I actually don't think that song is that great. The melody and lyrics are actually a tad weak compared to The Clash's stuff on London Calling or their eponymous debut, but that bass line gets my hip going every time.

I was playing a bunch of the Clash on my computer on shuffle and The Magnificent Seven queued up, and I thought 'I should make a thread asking people what their favorite bassline is....' Of course, I did a search, and sure enough, I already made that three 3 1/2 years ago when I heard The Magnificent Seven. But now, I can post the song so people can hear how awesome that bassline is.

Yeah, I like Beatles bass lines because Paul was a guitar player first, and it shows. He didn't play the standard rock bass lines that everyone did at the time, he plays it with a melody... like a guitar. Not to mention he is HOT playing that left handed bass :-D People don't talk about him enough for his playing, I think...

There's better MJ bass riffs out there.

name it, bitch. nothing's more memorable.

lottie - excellent choice. im gonna go find me some genesis Toejam & Earl, the weak sound chip meant the music was pretty much all bass lines.

You're embarrassing yourself, Nick. Both Smooth Criminal and Wanna Be Startin' Something have better bass lines than Thriller.

do you even know what a funky bass line sounds like? smooth criminal does rival thriller, but wanna be startin' something...its not even on its level. this is the dumbest argument youve made since cinammon toast crunch or whatever it was, and this is verified by DoJ's half-hearted co-signature.

go ask anyone anywhere ever MJ's most iconic, funkiest bass line, and a dollar says they'll say Thriller without a thought. my man frank would say it goes together like love and marriage, or a horse and carriage.

go on, ill be here.

do you even know what a funky bass line sounds like? smooth criminal does rival thriller, but wanna be startin' something...its not even on its level. this is the dumbest argument youve made since cinammon toast crunch or whatever it was, and this is verified by DoJ's half-hearted co-signature.

go ask anyone anywhere ever MJ's most iconic, funkiest bass line, and a dollar says they'll say Thriller without a thought. my man frank would say it goes together like love and marriage, or a horse and carriage.

go on, ill be here.

Fine. I'm going to Casa Nicurtindsayli tonight to watch Heathers with Curtins and Lindsay. Afterwards, we can hit FIU South and take a poll. Bring a boom box with a Thriller CD in it and we can settle this once and for all.

Archived