Hondo's Bar

This is a Hardcore Gamer

La Lindsay

Uh, yeah...on MSN

Man dies after 50 hours of computer games

South Korean left seat in Internet cafe only to use toilet, take brief naps

Updated: 6:43 p.m. ET Aug. 9, 2005

SEOUL, South Korea - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing online battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play online games on Aug. 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.

South Korea is among the world's most Internet-savvy nations with more than half of its 47 million people having access to the Internet. South Korea has about 22 000 Internet cafes, also known as PC rooms.

Many PC rooms are open 24 hours, but no minors are allowed after 10pm.

Maybe this is why? Man oh man.

• 1 month later...

Still, in all actuality- on a serious note- how the fuck do you just "die" after being in front of a computer for let's say that long? I mean there's got to be much more to the story than what is presented.

How many of them actually had medical conditions, suceptabilty to clotting, diabetes, malnourishment, diaphoretic responses due to hydration/ circulatory issues ?

I mean I don't pretend to be Greg House MD ... but c'mon! :ifyouknowwhatimean:

• 1 year later...
my record is 36 hours straight playing final fantasy 6... ive gotten close recently however racking up 34 hours of fifa 2007....

i can only say... i felt like shit afterwards... i blame the coffee

Damn... that's dedication.

My records probably about 10 hours straight playing Team Fortress Classic. I went to bed at 8am ish still with the sensation of motion from the game (like when you're dizzy) and half hearing the repetitive noises of gunfire etc in my head. No more long sessions I think...

jesus Dodge, that's eye-bleeding dedication there.

i think my tops was when i took a bet to beat Legend of Zelda: link to the past without dying or saving, so the counter that shwos no your account when the game's done read "OOO". i forget exactly how long, but i wanna say it was updards of 12 hours, cause i had to have all the treasure and heart pieces too.

hey, dont come down on the man, he's just dedicated....granted, that's an insane # but ive heard worse at big LAN parties.

and 2-3 hours, really? man, with a solid RPG, 5-6+ hours can go by without me really noticing till im too hungry to think.

36hrs seems overkill...

LAN parties are totally different to sitting there playing on your own...

I've once played football manager 2006 for a whole 12 hrs, only breaking to get refreshment and coffee.

Before with Resident Evil 2 me and my mate played right through the game beginning to end, i totally lost track of time..

But DoJ, 36 hrs for fucks sake, dedication/insanity? which is it...

When i was at college, we managed to get one of the network admins to install unreal tournament on the network.

We'd be in labs when playing games with about 40 students playing at once.

Thank god for Alt+Tab!

there be shouts of dismay and the lecturers would freak, remember once, we played on the projector in the main lecture hall!

When i was at college, we managed to get one of the network admins to install unreal tournament on the network.

We'd be in labs when playing games with about 40 students playing at once.

Thank god for Alt+Tab!

there be shouts of dismay and the lecturers would freak, remember once, we played on the projector in the main lecture hall!

If only we could've done that with WoW. :sad:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived