Hondo's Bar

Firefly

So sometime around last week, I finsihed watching the short-living highly acclaimed Sci-fi series, Firefly. Lemme tell you, I was blown away. For all you people that don't like Sci-Fi, lemme tell you, I'm one of you, and this show is badass.

B0001B3YTM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Here's the skinny on the show:

It first aired in 2002 on Fox, and Fox raped it in so brutally it makes what they originally did to Family Guy look like a King-of-Pop cuddle. They cut off production mid season, they didn't air the pilot til the end fo the run, they aired the whole thing out of order, they didn't run the lat 2 or 3 shows they did finish producing, they didn't run any commercials for it, and they ran in on Friday night same timeslot as Star Gate (a show I don't watch, but by all accounts is the top rated Sci-Fi show airing today).

Do me this show is the best thing to happen in Sci-Fi since The Matrix or possibly even the original Star Wars Trilogy. If you favorite part of Star Wars was always Han Solo, thsi show is for you. The character are all outlaws and rebels, and they all have a good sense of humor and real life problems (out of money, fighting with the wife, can't find a job, sexual tension, etc). Not a single alien with a prostetic forehead in sight. This isn't a show about chancellors and ambassadors and generals and senators, it's about real people trying to make a dishonest living.

Mercenaries, bounty hunters, smugglers, prostitutes, gangsters abound. The show takes place mostly on 'The outer planets' that have been 'tera-formed' and since civilization hasn't made is way out there full force (like Tatoonie in Star Wars), the show is more like a half western/half sci-fi. Think Trigun/Cowboy Bebop/Outlaw Star minus the silliness of anime. Lotsa people talk liek it's a western too ("I reckon I'd take it as a kindness" kind talk).

It's by the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Joss Whedon, and always like the writing on Buffy, but his show is his masterpiece.

The story is expansive, the narratives are interesting, the visual style is unique, the characters are complex and their relationship with one another are ever-changing.

So, even though it was cancelled, the power of a cult following has now, 3 years since it's cancelation gotten it a full length theatrical feature film set for wide release called Serenity. The trailers look hot, and they have had many sneak previews for hardcore fans and the feddback adn internet buzz has been promising.

Anyone else seen this show? If you haven't I recommend borrowing it, renting it, or buying it (the whole series on DVD is only like $35, well worth the price).

• Upvote 1

Y'know what, I've been hearing good things about this for years, I've been reading great reviews, I've been hearing fantastic stuff about it from friends, and I've loved every trailer for Serenity I've seen, an' now you've all this stuff to say about it so...fuck it, I'mma go out and buy it right now.

Gotta agree with you there, everyone (Yeah that means you too Cowboy) should go and see this series. Probably the best Sci-Fi show that there has been in a while. Damn shame Fox has screwed it.

Well, the movie comes out in just over a month so let's be happy about that. It's looking pretty sweet.

Wanted to give this thread a bump with something, so I looked and, lo and behold, someone has created a Firefly Character Personality Quiz! Who would have suspected that! There are so few of these out there, I really got lucky with my Google search! Anyway, maybe it's that cynicism that got me Simon by 65%. You can take the quiz here.

Besides what character you are like, what are other people's favorite character? I'm hoping more people than have spoken up have seen this series, but probably not, so this is directed mostly at SB and BC. Firefly has the kind of great ensemble cast that could make any of the character potential favorite material. In a toss up between Kaylee and Jayne, my pick goes to Kaylee.

'S a brilliant shirt. :)

As for favorite characters, I've decided it's impossible not to love Kaylee. An' I do also like Jayne because he's the guy who says just what everyone else thinks but doesn't say. And sure, he's kind of a dick but he just don't know no better, really. It's really hard to pick out an actual favorite, but I have to say I kinda dig Badger. But maybe it's just because I've always had a soft spot for cockney gangsters.

"The wheel's always turning, Badger."

"That only matters to the people on the rim."

'S a brilliant shirt.  :)

As for favorite characters, I've decided it's impossible not to love Kaylee. An' I do also like Jayne because he's the guy who says just what everyone else thinks but doesn't say. And sure, he's kind of a dick but he just don't know no better, really. It's really hard to pick out an actual favorite, but I have to say I kinda dig Badger. But maybe it's just because I've always had a soft spot for cockney gangsters.

"The wheel's always turning, Badger."

"That only matters to the people on the rim."

I'd have to say that my favorite character is probably Mal, I love the cast to death, and they all have awesome moments, I just love how Mal just has this tendency to spit on cliche. He's not the kind a nd fluffy altruistic leader, and I like that.

Book is also rather interesting, I really wish we could have found out more about him.

"Mercy is the mark of a great man. Maybe I'm just a good man. Well, I'm OK."

I'm pretty sure I have read in interviews that they are looking to do sequels. I think the studio has said they need $80 million worldwide in order to greenlight one, so let's hope. I think that it is definitely possible to get those numbers, even domestically if they market it well, so let's hope.

Yeah, the studio said $80 worldwide and they'd talk sequal. Whedon is sayign if it surpasses regular expectations, he's going to get bold and ask for a contract to get a trilogy. After that, if all the movies are popular, who knows if he'd rather make more movies or get to a second TV season, but either way, I'm on board.

• 2 weeks later...

I was skeptical of it at first because I wasn't a fan of Joss' other creations, but when I started watching, I realized that I was being silly and that it was a fantastic show. I'm now incredibly upset it's off the air, but, on the same note I'm glad they're making it into a movie. Needless to say I was instantly obsessed. DJ will attest to this. We finished the series in a few days time, and since then, I've been all about the Firefly stuff. I bought a "Blue Sun" tee shirt, and take delight in saying things like "a mite whimsical in the brainpan", "No power in the 'Verse can stop..." and making comments laden in chinese (translations compliments of the Firefly Pinyinary). I have the theme song on my iPod. I want to try to find an animation of the burn-through "Firefly" logo, and God help me I want to make/get a window decal that either has the chinese symbol for "Serenity" and/or one that says "can't take the sky from me". And I know it's 26 days until Serenity. *waits not so patiently*

[/geek]

I'm using gorram alot myself. And that gorram theme song is stuck in my head too. Did you listen to Joss Whedon rough original recording of it on disc 4 of the DVD?

I use "gorram" and "shiny" a lot, though I have to say ta ma de (the chinese characters won't work on the board, i don't think) which loosely means "fuck me blind!" (exasperation) and wo de ma ("mother of God!") have to be my favorites so far.

And let it be known, DJ suggested that we call the car Vera. I just happened to agree with him ;)

Gald I could be the one that finally pushed DJ into seeing thsi series. I've introduced it to my sister and she likes it too. She fell asleep during Bushwhacked after watching Serenity and The Train Job. At first she was like "Do we have to watch that Bird-thing you've been talking about." But after Serentiy, she simply said "put on the next episode already!"

If Nick every going to comment on this thread. I think this show could have very well be written for him.