Hondo's Bar

"The first Spider-Man crossover in five years!"

I heard about this in the last Wizard and now in Marvel Previews, but the details are still sketchy!

A startling super-story spanning four months that will turn the wall-crawler's world upside down, and set the stage for the year to come, uniting the creative talents behind all three Spider-Man titles!

I guess this is big, and not in a good way!!

October: Peter David (Incredible Hulk) writes Act One in the new Spidey title, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1 (art by Mike Wieringo), Marvel Knights Spider-Man (art by Pat Lee) #19 and Amazing Spider-Man #525 (art by Deodato Jr)!

November: Reginald Hudlin (Black Panther, MK Spidey) writes Act Two in Friendly Neiborhood Spidey #2, MK Spidey #20 and Amazing Spidey #526!

December: Straczynski (Amazing, Fantastic 4, a whole bunch of other awesome shit) writes Act Three in Friendly #3, MK #21 and Amazing #527!

January: All 3 writers are going back to thier home books for the finale in Friendly #4, MK #22 and Amazing #528!!

I don't know what the hell is going on, but this shit's got me hyped!! I read that JMS directed this whole thing and it's gonna have a lot to do with the stuff he touched on in the Ezekiel arcs! I even heard that Morlun is coming back!

As for whether the wisecracks will keep coming after the dust clears from "The Other"?  Straczynski promises that Spidey's status quo within the Marvel Universe will drastically change- but he's not telling how.  "That part is still classified," teased the writer.  "But it's not going to be what anybody expects."

I got no idea...i mean, he's had six arms, been hulked out that once (you remember, panch?) and all kindsa weird shit...i recall one short point when it looked like Mary Jane was even dead, but of course she wasnt...fuck, they even cloned Aunt May!

Considering during Dissasembled he turned into a bug for like 2 issues (and no one cared), the way Joe Q's talkin bout the ramifications of this one, i too am expecting a lot...we should take bets on what it is, just to be way wrong.

it would be great if symbiotes came back & werent gay somehow, too

First they gave us the spider-clone saga :) , then came Gwen Stacys children ( who by the way were Norman Osborns kid :2T: ) and now this. I stopped reading spiderman :pig: just before the clone saga ( thank you god ) then I started reading it again when JMS started writing it up till the moment Gwen Stacys kids came into the books. Then I dorpped the book yet again. It better be good or I'll give up spidy for good.(ultimate Spider-man doesn't count)

• 2 months later...

SM_Other_poster.jpg

For those that dont know...

A 12-Part Spider-Man Event A startling super-story spanning four months that will turn the wall-crawler’s world upside down, and set the stage for the year to come, uniting the creative talents behind all three Spider-Man titles!

In October, Peter David writes Act One in FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #1, MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN #19 and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #525

In November, Reginald Hudlin writes Act Two in FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #2, MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN #20 and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #526

In December, J. Michael Straczynski writes Act Three in FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #3, MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN #21 and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #527

And in January, all three writers return to their home books for the finale in FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #4, MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN #22 and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #528!

Yeah, so basically, JMS & others (including Peter David) swear theyve got somthing big planned for spidey, something big enough to fundametnally change the title.

I know, youve heard that before. But seriously, House of M is making big movies, and they did pull off Origin, and these arent writers who joke about this kinda thing, so it might be something.

Even if it turns into another Clone Saga, its still big enough to warrant my attention.

If Cap'n or any other Hondonians have theories on what's going down, id like to see them. My best best is the return of Mogul (or whoever that energy vampire JMS' run started off with) - the one villian spidey never beat - and, from the look of the covers over at Marvel, spidey gets beaten so badly, he, uh, transforms/mutates into somethin else entirely.

Anyway, Strazinski (sp like all hell) claims his entire run has been buliding towards this, and its been years now, so im mad curious.

ASM526_COV_COLOR.jpg

see? that guy.

ASM527_COV_COLOR_A.jpg

"why am i dripping with goo...?" all the covers past this one are a mystery, so im guessin new costume, too...?

ASM525_FLCOV_COLOR.jpg

Woudlnt be a "big" arc if someone Parker loved wasnt gonna die. At least, for a while, anyway.

Well from I've been hearing is that Marvel is completely changing Spidey, more along the line of what was introduced almost a year ago with the totemist powers and shit. (The Morlun story line) Which is why Morlun is returning. I think there's basically going to be a complete reworking of his origins and everything. I"m not entirely sure why but the last storyline feturing morlun was interesting and the writers involved are pretty good, but I do share the concern of this becoming another clone saga as well. You got to admit though, the spidey poster parody of Divinci's man is great.

It is a great image.

Yeah, last time i was Morlun was..when JMS first started his arc, wasnt it? Introduced him and Ezekiel...was a helluva arc.

I think you're right: Strazinski's been quietly messing with Parker's origin story with this whole "totem spider" thing, and it didnt have nearly as big an impact as idve thougth it wouldve so far...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

If they take things in that direction....theyre right, i think it stands to drastically change his character entirely. Da Cap'n says he expects a non-wisecracking Spidey...i have a hard time even picturing that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Again, the color scheme, technology, even Joe Q's hintis - these are ties to Stark. I think this is gonna play heavily into Civil War, myself. Stark's fashioning himself an ally from a guy who'd prolly just as well sit on the fence, but he's a heavy hitter, as New Avengers always shows.

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation ot untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

Edited by Iambaytor

Eh...eyes are a bit close, and no one digs the color scheme, but spidey's had like a few dozen temp costumes, this is just another, to me - does anyone honestly not see him back in the original one inside of a year? The awesome black costume served plot (venom), again, i see this as a Civil War piece.

Baytor's got a good call on the Reilly costume. And yeah, i used to have fun with the old Venom mini's, but they werent good. You read the Venom vs Carnage one? Was alright, didnt care for Toxin, but it sure was pretty. Damn shame what happened to Brock...

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation ot untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

Edited by Iambaytor

Eh...given your view that the House of Ideas is running out of them, im thinkin youre not gonna dig this, but here's where it stands:

Venom returned later on to reveal that Eddie Brock had cancer, and he could not survive without a permanent merge with the symbiote. In the end, Spider-Man convinces the symbiote to go through with this "permanent merge." However, Eddie went through a religious awakening, and Brock sold the symbiote to the crimelord Don Fortunato, intending to donate the $100 million received to charity before dying. Angelo Fortunato became the second Venom for a brief period of time (technically, the Venom clone and its hosts were not really Venom). Upon hearing that Angelo Fortunato, the Don's son, had died after the symbiote abandoned him in mid-air jump, Brock slit his wrists in an alley, and his fate is uncertain.

After Angelo's death, the symbiote bonded with Mac Gargan, the Scorpion, and became part of the new Sinister Twelve. While he was swiftly defeated by Spider-Man, as the Avengers dealt with the rest of the Twelve, he remains bonded with the symbiote. Mac Gargan is now the third Venom. It should be noted that the symbiote itself is a sentient entity capable of rational thought.

As popular as the Eddie Brock incarnation of Venom was, it is unlikely that the character will remain inactive or separated from the symbiote for long.

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

Edited by Iambaytor

• 2 months later...

good summary right here ...

• 3 weeks later...

eh...look, it was a lotta hype and it wasnt a memorable story, but you people speak as if it was the new clone saga.

Honeslty, spidey's "new powers", id have to review that link to remember them, theyre not really significant. The arc

a) setup some odd, metaphysical villian for spidey, by the end. JMS might mess with that.

b) Saw spidey killed, that's a first as i recall.

c) ok, one good thing that made it damn near worth it: the fight with Morlun is among the nastiest ive seen Parker invovled in. It was a good fight.

now

Its forgettable, but i dont know that its an atrocity. Its one of those arcs ill see in a few months in trade and think "that's nice, just in case anyone wants to read that, like the author's mom or something."