Hondo's Bar

The Devil's Rejects

1.jpg

The follow-up to his 2003 horror hit HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, Rob Zombie's THE DEVIL'S REJECTS continues the story of a bizarre group of very odd people who like to torture, maim, and kill virtually everyone they come in contact with. When Sheriff Wydell (William Forsythe) pays a visit to the body-ridden lair of Mother Firefly (Leslie Easterbrook, taking over the role played by Karen Black in the first film), her children Otis (Bill Moseley) and Baby (Sheri Moon Zombie) are forced to run, eventually holing up in a roadside motel with four hostages (including Clint Eastwood regular Geoffrey Lewis and THREE'S COMPANY star Priscilla Barnes). Seeking help from creepy clown Captain Spaulding (Sid Haig), they continue their murderous rampage while being tracked by Wydell, who is hellbent on avenging the death of his brother, which came at the hands of this very weird and dangerous family. As Wydell tortures Mother Firefly for answers, Otis and Baby torture their hostages for kicks. Zombie, a heavy metal musician who leads the group White Zombie, infuses his exciting, funny, and terrifying gorefest with a fabulous 1970s soundtrack, using such songs as Elvin Bishop's "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" and David Essex's "Rock On" at inappropriately riotous moments. Part BONNIE AND CLYDE, part THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, part THE WILD BUNCH, Zombie's bloody barrage is filled with unexpected plot twists and surprises unique to this genre.

* I watched the Devils Rejects the other night. I'm sure this was supposed to be a sequel to House of 1000 Corpses, since it had a lot of the same characters in it. The movie was probably one of the sickest movies you will ever see. It wasn't all that bloody or gorey, but it just had some freak out moments to it. Scenes that make you have simpathy pains and grab various body parts and go "OWWWWW".

One of the freakiest things however is that Terry from Threes Company is in the movie. And she gets naked. :ok:

Yeah remember Terry? She would stand on one leg during the opening credits like a flamingo. She had pretty, long, well toned legs. Terry was pretty hot. Well that was 25 years ago. Let's just say, she battled gravity and gravity kicked her ass.

Severely.

She's gotten a little saggy. I guess for a woman who's 50, she's not all that bad. But I don't know if she should be going around showing off her cans on the silver screen though. :???:

One of the characters who was also in the first movie is a guy named Captain Spaulding. I know there are people out there who have irrational fears of clowns. Im not one of them, but there have been clowns in the past who have freaked me the fuck out.

Tim Curry as Pennywise, Bobcat as Shakes the Clown etc. Well Captain Spaulding has them all beat. The way he looks, the way he speaks, the way he acts is just so messed up. :ok:

The movie overall was still pretty good. It will freak you out at times, make you second guess yourself when you see a damsel in distress, but it will also entertain you.

3/5 pimps:pimp::pimp::pimp:

• 8 months later...

I did not find this movie disturbing at all. The only part I was freaked out by was when

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The rest was pretty garden variety to me.

• 1 month later...

I'ma bet that's not-safe-for-work material, so it's gonna have to wait until I get home, but thanks.

I loved House 'cause I was raised on those D-grade horrors it so artfully took the piss out of, not to mention I prefer my legends with an aire of mystique. I think Rob was pressured into doing Devil's Rejects 'cause House wasn't so nasty as the characters were genuinely horrifying, and that probably reflected poorly on him as a creator. I remember reading somewhere that DR was about destabilizing the 'myth' these characters created. Essentially showing the monsters vulnerable underbelly & visiting the same deranged wrath upon it they inflicted on so many others. It's the same problem they had with Punisher, and as I heard last night, The Devil Wears Prada.

I really liked "Devil's Rejects", and I was also a fan of "house of a 1,000 corpses".

What impresses me about all this is Rob Zombie's film making. If you think about it its pretty hard to pull off. So first you have "house" with your heros and villiams, and your type of movie, classic horror with no CG. Then boom you make a sequal that switches who the heros and villians are, and you also change the genre of film your shooting. I don't know exactly what I called the genre for "Devils" but it deffinitely wasn't a straight up horror movie. To me that would be something pretty hard to do, but I'm also not a film maker, so I don't know.

Yeah I Hated House of a 1000 and liked the Rejects one better...

But HALLOWEEN, especially the first one, is sacred to me as a fan...

I dunno...

here's the link man...

http://www.halloweenmovies.com/index2.html

Yeah but can he really do worse than H20 or Resurrection? I mean Michael Myers has been royally assraped by pretty much every director who isn't John Carpenter, and when Jamie Lee Curtis left you knew it was a sign of bad things to come.

I'd have to agree with lunchbox on this one, I rather enjoyed both films and thought they were breaking outside of what has become the norm of horror films.

The norm, for those not paying attention, is big breasted girls getting slaughtered by some random force (be it a stalker, their boyfriend, trees, fog, aardvarks) for no apparent reason. Everyone looks like they come from an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue (the killer included), and all the cliches are followed to a T.

This seemed to go back to the gritty roots of gore-horror almost. Just come up with the most brutal shit you can think of and put it on film.

Ok, rant over.

• 11 years later...

Rob Zombie Currently Filming Devil's Rejects Sequel - "3 From Hell"