Hondo's Bar

Jessica Jones (Alias)

The NZA

0785111417.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Yet another mini-review sadly lost - when Marvel wouldnt let Bendis have his childhood hero, Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) get fucked in the ass by Luke Cage, apparently, he came up with Jessica Jones, a forgotten Avenger turned investigator, among Marvel's early MAX (no rules) titles. What came about was 20-something issues of a solid book that also showed me Gaydos was a cool artist on the right book, and how much fun Bendis was having tying events directly into his Daredevil.

I could go on about the secret origin of Jessica Drew, Purple, and other memorable arcs (or moments like "im fairly certain...the Hulk is fucking my wife."), but im mainly posting this to let folks know Marvel's finally doing the series justice, and releaseing a hardcvoer with the whole run:

Alias Omnibus - $44, april 2006.

• 3 years later...

God damn you for even MENTIONING the New X-Men Omnibus. The cunt at the shop sold the one I had "reserved" (whatever the fuck THAT means, I was under the impression it reserved my right to purchase said item), and I haven't been able to find another one anywhere.

Pisses me right the fuck off. I don't own any of Morrison's run in trades b/c I was waiting on that.

edit: apparently I misread...

Edited by Thelogan Prime

I'm a little late to the party.

Snagged the first trade, used, and enjoyed it enough to read more.

Now I hear whispers from 3 and 1/2 years ago of an Omnibus.

Hardcovers are so fucking sexy.

Of course now it's $229.95 New and $150 Used at Amazon.

:???:

you know, Newt's been collecting these, and its a good idea to get em early on. the fucking New X-Men one isnt any cheaper.

My sexy sexy copy of Alias is sitting pretty next to my OTHER Omnibus collection and Absolutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta get the rest of this, got the 1st half cheap as fuck at tates, will get others as I can. Omnibus is just too damn expensive. However, let's get back on on how goddamned awesome this series was. It really is my favorite thing to come out of the Max line, and probably the best new character that came out of Marvel in the last decade or so.

I am so hot for Jessiva Jones.

• 6 months later...

so, hey, in the back of the last issue of Powers, bendis listed some interesting news blurbs - he's doing more stuff with Maleev (always good), but he says if things line up, he & Gaydos are talking another Alias mini-series later this year, possibly MAX if he thinks the story calls for it. cant wait - especially since New Avengers keeps making me think Jessica's debating suiting up again as Jewel, if even just for a while.

Alias was great. Not sure the world really needs another superhero tale of Jewel or any other monicker Jones may take. However, more fucked up fallen superhero, baby-mama stories could work. I'm behind on all my Avengers stuff. Are her and Luke Cage still together? They were rocky when I left off after Secret Invasion--ok, so I'm waaay, behind on my Avengers. Also this stuff w/ Cage joining the Thunderbolts has me wondering if something is up between them.

I'm behind on all my Avengers stuff. Are her and Luke Cage still together? They were rocky when I left off after Secret Invasion--ok, so I'm waaay, behind on my Avengers. Also this stuff w/ Cage joining the Thunderbolts has me wondering if something is up between them.

damn, you are behind. some good stuff going on too.

theyre happily together, she almost lost Luke but the Avengers got him back.

/2nded on it being among Bendis' best marvel work, though its a distant 2nd to his Daredevil run. seriously.

I read the whole series through in like one or two sittings. You really should go back and dust it off. IMHO it's some of Bendis' best work.

I only have three of the actual comics, so looks like i'll be buying the big book. it was good, i just got into other stuff instead. I think Gnatt read the whole series, hmmmm.... wonder if she still has it lying around somewhere.

• 6 years later...

Marvel announces new Jessica Jones comic serie

Jessica_Jones_001_by_David_Mack-720x1112.jpg

"You're going to find out about it in the first issue. We're going to open up a book where Jessica's world has blown up in her face. She's at a place you'll least expect her. You're going to find all of her relationships have altered. And we're slowly going to find out why. I do like writing Jessica where we have to figure out 'why this has happened,” Bendis said in a phone interview, taking extra care not to spoil anything.

"Having a child completely changes your perspective on everything, some in obvious ways and some in not-so-obvious ways. Some of them really sneak up on you. Like caring about somebody more than yourself, particularly when you're very self-involved like Jessica would tend to be, is a big thing. Luke and Jessica have tried to raise a baby in a very dangerous environment. We talked about this during Avengers, you're raising a baby in Avengers Mansion and somebody's trying to knock that building over every four days. This is not the safest place for a baby,” Bendis said. “So your perspective changes, and as an investigator and a detective her perspective will change because she's a mother. I know some people are worried about that baby being dragged like a sack of potatoes that holds down the story or something, but I can think of many ways to tell the story celebrate this part of her life and at the same time complicates it to a degree that a lot of people can relate to. I think a lot of people can relate to trying to 'do it all.' Lord knows I can.”

Bendis, Gaydos & Mack all on board - get hype!

• 2 years later...