Hondo's Bar

Concert/Band Information

JunkerSeed

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even a moldy one? :ill:

MLB, I need some music related advice, me n Jont wanna try to see a gig when we're in Manchester, we checked NME.com and searched for gigs in Manchester between the 15th and the 21st but came up with a list of names we'd heard no music of. I know Fugazi were one but I've never heard their songs, I think the Moldy Peaches were another, some band called Ellis, etc?

Can't remember the others offhand, any chance you could look it up and give us the lowdown of any you know? Go on, I'll buy you a beer! :D

Lets see what I can do. Looked up some stuff on the Internet. The main venues in Manchester seem to be the Academy, the Roadhouse, and the University.

The academy is not very easy to find stuff on but the Roadhouse is. Theres some good bands playing between these dates, these being the ones I'd recommend,

16th- The Bees

18th- The Moldy Peaches

21st- Biffy Clyro

For a good live show I'd go with the Moldy Peaches, going to see them next week, should be an absolute blast. They dress up and do all kinds of crazy shit. The Bees are quite frenetic rock, and Biffy Clyro more for the indie/rock fan, but both very good as well.

Looking at Manchester Uni. Haven't heard of Ellis I'm afraid.

There is however 'The Sugarcoma' playing on the 19th. I've heard of Sugarcoma (no 'The'), and they're quite good but don't know if this is the same band ???

Overall, I'd go for the Moldy Peaches, very exciting live act.

Hope this helps. :D

I'm not sure of Sugarcoma, but the Britney cover is probably misleading. ???

Moldy Peaches sound cool, they'll be first choice, but we may get going to a few gigs, never can tell...

NME.com has brought up (all bands listed have they're own night, I just couldn't be bothered putting up dates):

In a venue, Band On The Wall (probably pretty small):

Amazonia, Apitos, and Crunch

Roadhouse has:

The Bees and The Moldy Peaches (Biffy Clyro are on July 21st)

And Manchester Uni has:

Ellis, Raul Malo and Sugarcoma (Fugazi's cancelled)

And there's always Gabrielle at the Manchester Evening News Arena!! pirat.gif:D

Anyways, have you heard of any of these that you might not have found?

Don't judge Sugarcoma by the Britney cover, they've got some good stuff. Probably wouldn't be my 1st choice though.

Fraid I haven't heard of any of the bands playing at the Band on the Wall, I'm guessing they'll probably be local unsigned type bands.

Sorry, I was sure Biffy Clyro was in June, ah well I was kinda drunk when I looked.

Haven't heard of Ellis as I have said. Raul Malo sounds familiar though, gonna have a look....

...okay found out why he sounds familiar. Its a guy from 'The Mavericks' solo career.

Went to his website where he's got a sort of jukebox thing going on. Lets just say, skip him unless you like shitty country music. :D

Persoanlly I'd take the Bees as a 2nd choice, but its your perrogative :D

Seen Love with Arthur Lee on Monday back there! Phew, what a gig! he did most of the stuff from 'Forever Changes' as expected but also did 'Alone Again Or' which i wasn't sure if he'd perform what with it being a Bryan MacLean song! Also lesser known gems from 'Love', 'Four Sail' and 'Da Capo' were perfected by a younger and very reliable backing band complete with Arthur's voice which hasn't changed a bit from the 60's it seems! Wahey! Brian Wilson on Wednesday (tomorrow) bring it on!

I just came back from seeing KMFDM a few hours ago and holy fucking shit was it insane!  It was easily the most intense concert I've ever been to in my life.  It's the first show where I had to leave the crowd because I just couldn't take it.  I fought my way to the barricade and stayed there untill they left, I had to go watch the encore from the bar, I was just fuckin exhausted.  They were absolutely great.  Can't say enough good about the band, they played all of their hardest stuff, and just kicked everyone's ass.  The three singers really knew how to work the crowd.  And one of the singers is probably the sexiest woman on this fuckin planet.  Being on the barricade certainly rocked, there's nothing like being like 4 feet away from the band.  The opener was pretty good, kind of a skinny puppy ripoff but very good for an opening band.  All in all it was incredible seeing just an aggressive, respected, great band in such a cool, small venue.  I just barely survived this one, it was just fucking insane, and the best part is, they promised to be back before the year is over!

:D

Gonna kick myself for this one but my mind is working kinda slow. KMFDM?

Saw Moldy Peaches 2 nights ago. Definitely the funniest gig I've been too. Two suppoort bands were excellent as well, Joie Dead Blonde Girlfriend (NY Antifolk) and David Kitt (sorta like taking the best bits of the Beta Band).

All of the band members dressed up, outfits included leotards, horse costume, naked black man apron, referees uniform, etc, etc. They did actions to some of the songs, hugged members of the audience. Best of all it was in a pub venue so only about 200 people were packed into this tiny hall, really intimate.

See them at a town near you :D

KMFDM is a pretty big industrial band, they were huge especially in the late 80's early 90's, I guess they're not very well known to the public at all, not exactly mainstream radio friendly stuff but they're sort of like Ministry, but more electronic.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to go see Joe Satriani and Dream Theater wiht King's X opening on August 22nd! Dream Theater is my favorite band after Rush. Dream Theater's latest album (Six Degrees of Inner Tuberulance, 2002) has been their bast album yet, and 1999's Scenes From a Memory was not something to easily trump. For their Scenes From a Memory tour, they played the album in it's entirity. I'm hoping they play the new album's title track in it's 40 minute entirely this time around. And Joe Satriani is a one of the eighty's greatest guitar virtuosos (along with Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai). And King's X is nothing to be sneezed at either. I'm so stoked (I'm so stoked that I'm using the word 'stoked')!

• 3 weeks later...

I went to ozzfest a couple of days ago and damn it was cool! I got there a bit late so I didn't have to sit through a bunch of the random hardcore bands playing on the second stage. Only band I missed that I wanted to see was "Down", a side project from the lead singer of pantera. So I patiently waited while adema showed exactly how much they suck, POD got up there and sucked up a storm, Drowning pool BUTCHERED metallica's creeping death in one of the worst covers my ears have ever been tainted with, and finally, rob zombie came on. Awesome performance, he played a bunch of white zombie stuff along with his solo stuff. The crowd sucked, because the venue blows, but he did what he could, got a bunch of naked chicks and little kids from the audience on stage and said he was pioneering a new genre of music called "Midget stripper metal" fun stuff. System of a down was next, damn they rocked. They were especially good because they changed up their songs a bit, and added in cool solos and other bits between songs, like a realy cool cover of the song "sultans of swing" and when they played "Prison song" the big screen behind them said "you are learning now," I thought that was great. They were worth the price of the show themselves, but then ozzy came on. Damn, fuck what anyone says about his show, his band puts on an amazing fuckin show. Zakk Wylde is an insane guitarist, that man should be locked away, I heard some of the best solos ever, he did one huge 15 minute solo that ended with him playing the guitar with his mouth! And well at that. So, all in all it was a fucking great show, despite the fact that only 4 out of like 20 something bands were any good.

Next ones up for me are Sponge with the gin blossoms and the spin doctors on the 1st, then warped tour on the 2nd, should be fun.