Hondo's Bar

Parkour

The NZA

Parkour

Parkour (IPA: [paʁ.'kuʁ], often abbreviated PK) is a physical discipline of French origin in which the participant — called a traceur (/tʁa.'sœʁ/) — attempts to pass obstacles in the fastest and most direct manner possible, using skills such as jumping, vaulting and climbing, or the more specific parkour moves. The obstacles can be anything in the environment, so parkour is often practiced in urban areas because of many suitable public structures, such as buildings, rails, and walls.

So, Sen posted this over in blargh, and man was that cool!

I learend about this from an issue of Warren Ellis' Global Frequency, i think it was termed something else, but the idea/sport was to basically treat the city as your playground: runners (apparnetly very limber, fearless, and having ankles of steel) would run full speed, vaulting over fences, running up walls (a la Jackie Chan), basically moving full speed across roofs/platforms/ladders etc, whatever the city provided, despite the immeinent thread of broken bones/death.

The above video's a great example; tons of jacknifes, and my favorite part was the guy running from the dog...anyway, its really cool to see, its like superheroics in action. id be interested if anyone did this kinda thing around here, cause it looks awesome and fun despite the injuries.

not exactly lost, im just not getting into the story... but eh, ive had some harsh experiences, going over a fence, i caught my leg on a spike and near impaled myself when i slipped a little... but i was back out a week later doing the same...

and this weather... so long as theres no ice, its alright

Parkour

So, Sen posted this over in blargh, and man was that cool!

I learend about this from an issue of Warren Ellis' Global Frequency, i think it was termed something else, but the idea/sport was to basically treat the city as your playground: runners (apparnetly very limber, fearless, and having ankles of steel) would run full speed, vaulting over fences, running up walls (a la Jackie Chan), basically moving full speed across roofs/platforms/ladders etc, whatever the city provided, despite the immeinent thread of broken bones/death.

The above video's a great example; tons of jacknifes, and my favorite part was the guy running from the dog...anyway, its really cool to see, its like superheroics in action. id be interested if anyone did this kinda thing around here, cause it looks awesome and fun despite the injuries.

I just wanted to say that I stumbled upon Parkour. And that was a great video, i had to share it!

but yeah! I didn't know it was THAT popular... talk about hte new kind of extreme sports!

ive been waiting for a thread about this actually... i and a friend are actually training to do some of this stuff, while i can't scale buildings yet, im coming along nicely... it is a great way of crippling yourself in the future, what with the intense punishment to the ankles...

I have a version of Parkour that I practice, it involves smaller heights and more alcohol, but it does involve jumping over steps, curbs and bollards while listening to French hip hop in your head.

• 4 weeks later...

Heh.

DoJ, hows it coming with this? Most people here dont seem to know what it is, so i havent had much luck finding if there's anyone/anyplace here good for it, sadly. Junker knew about it though.

If you got links, id be interested in the training & such....was just hopping fences this morning and im not as quick as i was about it. I gotta know how these guys do shit without breaking their ankles, half ot it looks like absorbing/distributing the shcok by rolling.

well i haven't been able to do it that much recently, given the bad weather and the fact that everything is mad slippy, but i still do some basics like jumping bins etc..

as for absorbing the shock of a high fall, its all in how you land... you land on the tips of your toes for the shortest of times, then forward roll so you're dispersing the force of the fall.. its daunting as fuck at the start, but after a while it become second nature really

• 3 months later...

Parkour looks badass. Id love to try it but i wouldnt know where to start. Im gonna look for a beginners website or somethin.

Heres a video i found of a few guys doin it around London city. Some of this shit is just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUksaD-JJgI

EDIT:

SoF, I take it this was the clip you were talkin bout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAD8xffSBT0

That movie looks kick ass if that clip is anything to go by.

Edited by crimsonfire

• 1 month later...