Hondo's Bar

Fallout 3

IguanaDon?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God yes. Have 2 weeks to fully flesh out SR2(hooked on Fight Club right now) before this drops and I can give it my undivided attention for all of a week. I get the feeling this is gonna go on the oblivion stack unless the story is more compelling than sidequesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting from point A to point B is a pain in the ass

Don't go near any body of water

Head shots for some reason won't kill other humans in one shot

Even with a map getting lost is easy

When your underground running out of ammo is NOT a great feeling

The Fatman is the best weapon ever.

Fuck me you've made some headway if you have the fatman already! I should really stay away from this thread until I get the game so as not to pull any mystic curtains.

You'll pick it out from a dead guy about 5-6 hours in.

Nothing says I hate you like a mini-nuke to the face. (just don't be near that thing when you fire it)

I repeated my masterful Bioshock performance and browbeat the clerk into selling my Fallout 3 tonight instead of tomorrow. Can't wait to get this home tonight!

In other news, aparrently the CE strategy guide's not in yet. It looks pretty sweet despite the fact I never use these things for their intended purposes.

Heh. We have 2 collector's editions here, one with the lunchbox, soundtrack, bobblehead, and another which is more just the standard edition with preorder incentives like keyring, 5" BOS figure(which i've googled and is pretty cool), few other bitsies and such, I decided to just get both. I can ebay the second copy or something.

Is good. Not very far in due to Heroes & Xmas tree shopping, but oh so good. On the matter of previews and shit I thought VATS was a pretty superfluous combat system, but now I find myself unable to fight without it(which makes this less like a sci-fi Oblivion, which it is in almost every other way).

Newt-I dunno who you're fighting and with what, but even at level 3 I'm knocking off most ghouls and whatnot with a single shot to the head(and realistically, with VATS, if you could do that everytime there'd be no fun to combat would there?).

Heh. The worst thing Bethsedia did was release those gameplay vids showing what happens when you blow up Megaton. Noone I know has done it. And VATS is indeed crazy-awesome. Dr Adam was saying he doesn't use it at all, and sometimes it is kinda necessary to just go FPS, but I love the fact that VATS is such an interesting take on the classic AP system, while still retaining all the intensity of a good moody FPS.

Just picked up The Fallout 3 collector's guide, it's fucking monstrous but I've no intention of looking into it until my second playthrough.

Heh. The worst thing Bethsedia did was release those gameplay vids showing what happens when you blow up Megaton. Noone I know has done it. And VATS is indeed crazy-awesome. Dr Adam was saying he doesn't use it at all, and sometimes it is kinda necessary to just go FPS, but I love the fact that VATS is such an interesting take on the classic AP system, while still retaining all the intensity of a good moody FPS.

Just picked up The Fallout 3 collector's guide, it's fucking monstrous but I've no intention of looking into it until my second playthrough.

I'm thinking about getting the guide for a later playthrough, I'm almost done with the main quest and there is a ton of stuff that I don't even know I have missed. The FPSing kinda blows IMO, but VATS is the shit, especially with a high Agility, right now I can sneak up on a group of four raiders, then blow all of their heads off before they could even see me coming.

Also I love Dogmeat.

Has anyone found all of the locations on the map yet? i swear, I've been in only 4 cities (or what's left of them) and I'm still tyring to do everything I can mission-wise. I'm only a level 4, my husband is like 15 or some crap.

I'm just in awe....

I've found like 70+ locations and I still have a ton of the map unexplored, there are tons of little towns and stuff that you could simply never find on a play through. It really helps make if feel like a living breathing world.

• 3 weeks later...

so yeah, thanks to newt im getting less sleep, but this game's brilliant. no idea how its fooling me when its just oblivion dressed up in post-apocalyptic clothes, but its doing just that. Im exploring and sandboxing and shit and not yet bored, which is new for me.

im all of (almost) level 6, and my guy's a pretty nice guy for the most part. before heading on the story quest to the radio station, im doing side ventures. first one got me killed by stoopid giant fire ants a lot, now i just need to get this solo kid a home. the next one didnt go as well...i really went to eccurius' house of wank the "family" with fair intentions, but after hearing their shit and trying to justify homicide & terror, i decided society was better off without them. at a meager level 5, this took some Ennis Punisher-esque planning, involving strategic mines and the like, but paid off with me looting their house blind, loaded with quality weapons/ammo/meds now but my karma's back to neutral status. i honestly thought i was doing the small town they were fucking with a favor...guess not.

anyway, the whole choice thing is fun. i should really see the xbox version sometime, cause newt's PS3 one looks fine by me; murky at times but nothing distractingly bad like say F.E.A.R. i might yet pick this one up later on.

good series retrospetive

...i really went to eccurius' house of wank the "family" with fair intentions, but after hearing their shit and trying to justify homicide & terror, i decided society was better off without them. at a meager level 5, this took some Ennis Punisher-esque planning, involving strategic mines and the like, but paid off with me looting their house blind, loaded with quality weapons/ammo/meds now but my karma's back to neutral status. i honestly thought i was doing the small town they were fucking with a favor...guess not.

:drool:

heh, thanks.

really though, there's no goddamn way you were listening to their headmaster guy prattle on, and then the kid telling you he ate through momma's neck 'cause of "the hunger" without thinking les enfants du fucking sang.

im carefully picking perks & such, sure hope i dont end up making a jack of all trades that's useless at a higher level or something.

Having been through the rigours of 1 & 2, I knew straight up to tank everything into fast learner and I forget the other perk.

Funny thing with the family-I'm not one for diplomacy so on my first run at the family I just went through and killed everyone before I discovered this meant everyone hated me and I failed the quest. Not wanting to fail I went back a level to an earlier save and did it right, playing nice with everyone. Adam says they teach you how to get the most out of Bloodpacks though, so there's that.

DLC for Fallout 3

Fuck me, this is a situation where PC gamers like Adam are gonna be almost literally rubbing their arses in our dirty console-loving faces. That G.E.C.K download just about breaks my heart to miss. That DLC though, most especially Operation: Anchorage is going to be flatout fucking awesome, Pitt & Broken Steel will be fun and all, but with WW2 still dominating the war-game front, and reference to some incredibly cook battles having taken place in the Fallout Universe, it seems like a no-brainer to do some great prequel expansions/DLC partaking in that. I know the real-time combat has gotten a lotta crap but I really haven't hated it, although VATS is gonna be pretty unrealistic in the heat of battle(although all the more neccesary).

The big question will be: With subsequent monthly releases, will Bethesda take the Blizzard approach & increase level caps with each expansion? Or not at all? They gotta, surely. RPGs really lose their function when you stop levelling up. Since these are pretty much single-mission packs, pricing shouldn't be more than $5-10 right? Shivering Isles was 1600 ms points, but it was a full other chunk of game from all accounts. It's doubtful these expansions will total more than an hour or two's further gameplay.

PC kids always shit on us when it comes to content, skeet. one day, we'll be even, but no day soon. one day... :cheerleader:

what's the current level cap? did you find yourself getting there by the end of your playthrough, and do your stats/levels carry on new games? this one does seem kinda great for DLC, long as its not horse armor.