Hondo's Bar

Ratatouille

Silent Bob

_blogimages_luxo_RatatouillePoster.jpg

I know this belongs in the animation section but no one ever goes there.

Jess and I saw this two weeks ago. Since then, I've been meaning to put up a review, I just haven't had the time. And I still don't.

I may put up a full review once I see it again but until then I will say this: go see this movie. It opens today, go see it. "Idustry analysts" are predicting that because of the odd premise, strong competition and a title that most Americans seem reluctant to pronounce, this may be Pixar's least successful box office opening yet. And that's a shame because this is one of the funniest, most charming and heart-warming movies that you will see all year. Or all decade. Brad Bird took a struggling project and polished into a real gem - something beautiful, unpredictable and more "enjoyable for all ages" than any other movie in recent memory. Go see this film and then go see it again.

RAT_122-remy-saffron.jpg

I know this belongs in the animation section but no one ever goes there.

Jess and I saw this two weeks ago. Since then, I've been meaning to put up a review, I just haven't had the time. And I still don't.

I may put up a full review once I see it again but until then I will say this: go see this movie. It opens today, go see it. "Idustry analysts" are predicting that because of the odd premise, strong competition and a title that most Americans seem reluctant to pronounce, this may be Pixar's least successful box office opening yet. And that's a shame because this is one of the funniest, most charming and heart-warming movies that you will see all year. Or all decade. Brad Bird took a struggling project and polished into a real gem - something beautiful, unpredictable and more "enjoyable for all ages" than any other movie in recent memory. Go see this film and then go see it again.

From the clip posted in the trailers section, you convinced me to go see it. It was amazing! But even if I hadn't seen it there, all the buzz on the morning TV shows has convinced me all over again. It seems to be getting great buzz, and from what I can tell it can/will be loved by critics, children, and parents alike.

I know for me, personally, the odd premise you speak of and the name draws me in the first place. so hopefully that'll be the same case for a lot of other people!

Going to see this either tomorrow or Sunday. I'm excited!!

Yes it's that good, I saw it at midnight last night, and I wasn't expecting much, especially since I thought Cars was pixar's weakest film, I kind of forgot how fucking great their movies are. Absolutely beautiful film, I loved it, totally up there with toy story 2 monsters in, and the incredibles. Brad bird is the man.

Yeah, I'm psyched. I'm going to see it in less than an hour, and I'm going in expecting the best Pixar movie since Nemo, or ever. It's possible Ratatouille is just TOO clever a name. It does have the pronunciation below the title on all the promotional material. Even if the opening is weak, it's has a strong presence into July and August.

Oh it'll last. If there's any justice in this world, this one will be a classic for decades. Still, it just makes me sad to think of all the people who are probably going to spend their 11 bucks on Transformers instead of this, next week.

By the way, Jax, I'm not sure if your high expectations will be a hindrance or not. I've found that this one really grows on you. When the credits rolled my audience clapped and we stood up and said "that was really good"...in the car on the way home it became "really really good". By the next day it was "great". Now, two weeks later, it's sneaking its way into my top ten favorite films in recent memory list. Another month and another viewing and I'll be calling it one of my favorite films of all time. If, for one reason or another, it doesn't quite meet your high expectations right away, don't dismiss it. Just...let it simmer.

If, for one reason or another, it doesn't quite meet your high expectations right away, don't dismiss it. Just...let it simmer.

Sorry there Deej, I flash fried this thing. By the time

the montage of Remy was practicing his puppetry of Linguini

came on, I was in love. I think there's alot to what people are saying that this is Pixar's first movie that's even better for adults than kids. Lots of lovable moments, like

Remy making the two omelettes, the little one and the big one

, and

Linguini's first attempt to explain his "Little Chef" resulting in a kiss with Colette

. Great proformances from Patton Oswald, Iam Holm, Janeane Garofalo, Peter O'Toole, Brad Garrett, and the whole cast (many of whom are unrecognizable in their French accents).

Hard to try to place it above or below movies like Monsters, Inc, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles.

Also, Pixar has been putting teaser trailers for their upcoming movie in front of their theatrical debuts since at least Toy Story 2, possibly since A Bug's Life. This was the first time I saw a Pixar movie with a truly disappointing teaser trailer for their next movie in front of it. Wall-E might be good, but the teaser was not.

Which Wall-E teaser are you talking about? The only one I've seen so far is one with interviews at the start (which are pointless I agree) and then ends with a brief scene where Wall-E is making cubes out of rubbish. I'm looking forward to that movie a lot more than Ratatouille, and I dare even hope that it'll be the movie that saves CGI from wise cracking animals.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw this one today with my little sister Kyra and little brother Micheal. Although they were driving me crazy cuz they were jumping around the whole damn seating row, I enjoyed this film a lot. It is definitely one of my favorite movies. I agree with Jax that this movie is more enjoyable for adults than kids. THe ending was the best. It brought a warmth to my heart and a huge smile to my face. I was the first one to clap at the end then the audience followed, even though I don't think they enjoyed it as much as I did... shame.

This movie was simple in its nature, but that was the whole beauty of it. you know?

like how the final dish presented to the "grim eater" (btw I was the only one that laughed at that in the theater), was none other than a simple "dish made by the peasants" but yet exceptional?

The movie was just great.

I want Nick to see it, so I'll probably take him this week. :anger:

You know, i saw the movie and liked it 'n all, but that kid was annoying (Collette was a hottie). Best part for me though was

the flashback sequence.

Aside from that, it was ok. I should be liking this movie a little more...but i don't...hmm. See Surf's Up. Its got my vote for best animated movie this year so far.

• 3 months later...

Pixar's dvds usually have pretty lousy covers. Shame, too, because the films usually have really great theatrical posters (not so much Ratatouille, but many of 'em). Ah well. They can be forgiven.

Did you move this into the anime forum? All you're doing is perpetuating the stereotype that animated films are by their nature unequal to live-action films. For shame!

Did you move this into the anime forum? All you're doing is perpetuating the stereotype that animated films are by their nature unequal to live-action films. For shame!

That statement in and of itself is perpetuating the stereotype that anime is unequal to live action. While this thread is commonly referred to as the anime forum, it's actually called 'Animation - Anime and Cartoons' and the official description is

From Cowboy Bebop to Batman Beyond, Gundam to Transformers; all things animated...even Dragonball.

I know what the forum is called, that doesn't change my point. I simply think animated movies should be judged and discussed the same way you would a live-action movie instead of saying "this doesn't belong here, it belongs in the forum with all the other cartoons". Besides, even the description doesn't actually list any animated films.

Archived