Hondo's Bar

The Star Trek Discussion Thread

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they have to modernise it. They'll still hopefully keep the "feel" of the original. Maybe keep the old typewriter and synthesiser sound effects and the dramatic swish of the doors when they open. The consoles and look of the ship will be streamlined somewhat i'll bet but hopefully not too far from the original.

hello hello. star trek movie coming up, they better not fuck this up!!!!!!!!! :)

kirk, spock, mccoy academy years..... i dont know...... will the enterprise 1701-a actually be in the movie..... how will it look. the classic look or the, we have to modernize it to the point where its not even recognizable.

Question but didn't the Enterprise 1701-A show up at the end of part IV? If so why would it be showing up in the movie?

Question but didn't the Enterprise 1701-A show up at the end of part IV? If so why would it be showing up in the movie?

I think he meant the NCC-1701, not the 1701-A. The Enterprise-1701-A didn't get commissioned until the end of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

It's very possible. Maybe it will be newly commissioned. According to Star Trek Canon, the Enterprise-1701 went on two 5-Year missions before Kirk took the helm. The first by Captain Robert April, and again by Captain Christopher Pike. I think it would be really cool to have scenes of the Enterprise in dry dock just being built (similar to Star Trek I: The Motion Picture), and young Kirk making some kind of remark like "I'm gonna take the helm of that ship one day!" or something to that.

Anyone know yet if William Shatner will reprise his role as Kirk has decided to do the movie? It would be so cool to have him and Spock in that movie. I know Leonard Nimoy is DEFINITELY gonna be on. Maybe the other cast members too. It's a pity DeForest Kelley (Dr. McCoy) and James Doohan (Scotty) both passed on, then they could've been a part of it too.

Edited by Acalis

Anyone know yet if William Shatner will reprise his role as Kirk has decided to do the movie? It would be so cool to have him and Spock in that movie. I know Leonard Nimoy is DEFINITELY gonna be on. Maybe the other cast members too. It's a pity DeForest Kelley (Dr. McCoy) and James Doohan (Scotty) both passed on, then they could've been a part of it too.

Shatner won't be in it, and he's been sure not to hide his unhappiness about it. Seriously, the guy mentions it in every interview he can, now. Granted all the public whining could be a smokescreen for an actual surprise cameo, but I'm inclined to believe it's real and he really isn't it it. Besides, isn't Kirk dead in Star Trek canon now?

Shatner won't be in it, and he's been sure not to hide his unhappiness about it. Seriously, the guy mentions it in every interview he can, now. Granted all the public whining could be a smokescreen for an actual surprise cameo, but I'm inclined to believe it's real and he really isn't it it. Besides, isn't Kirk dead in Star Trek canon now?

Yes, but the "present" portion of the movie could theoretically take place in the time period between Star Trek VI and Star Trek: Generations, before Kirk dies.

Maybe this is all a publicity stunt, maybe Kirk is going to be in the movie afterall, but all this talk about him not being in the movie is just all an act to throw the audience off, and make the movie even more worth seeing. They did something similar I believe for Star Trek II or Star Trek III.

Its a prequel. The original crews starfleet academy days. Paramount obviously trying the Lucas method to inject the flagging Trek franchise with some more excitement.

Yeah but Leonard Nimoy is in the movie, which would imply that this would be a flashback movie.

Edited by Acalis

Yes, but the "present" portion of the movie could theoretically take place in the time period between Star Trek VI and Star Trek: Generations, before Kirk dies.

Sure, but then it would be a flashback setting up a flashback. That would destroy the fabric of the space time continuum.

Or maybe the movie will take place AFTER Star Trek: Generations. It's possible since Spock is obviously still alive during the TNG time period. There's a couple of Star Trek books written by William Shatner himself, and in them there's scenes of Spock visiting the makeshift tomb of Captain Kirk on the mountaintop where Picard buried him at the end of Generations. Could very well be Spock visiting the tomb and remembering all the times him and his dear friend Kirk shared back in the academy.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry everyone, for not responding in a while.... but anyway, my bad in my last post.... you're right ncc-1701 is the original enterprise, where they added an A in the end of star trek IV, after rebuilding the ship.

ent37.jpg

USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701

USSEnterpriseNCC1701A.jpg

USS ENTERPRISE NCC1701-A

What do you all think of the cast????

AAnewcrew.jpg

What really bugged me was Karl Urban (Eomer from LOTR) getting the part of Bones. I just don't see it! I was hoping they would go with Gary Sinise, I can really imagine him as a younger Bones way better than Wenham.

seasonprem14.jpg

Reason for Edit: Mistakenly said David Wenham was playing Bones. It was Karl Urban

Edited by Acalis

Um present day Gary Sinise looks older than 60's Bones. Or at the very least the same age. Yeah there are similarities but Sinise is too old for the part.

The other guy from LOTR is not perfect for the part yeah but maybe the casting people saw something in him we dont.

Oh and they got Uhura spot on with Jada Pinkett Smith :unsure::love:

Edited by crimsonfire

lookin' nice, i'm not TOO worried about whether the new kirk looks like kirk, yeah it'd be nice but gettin' somebody that can convey the essence of the character is a lot more important.

on the new series front i'd say they're treatin' 'em like the werewolf games here, take a rest give the audience a breather, let there be hype and anticipation. so that we'll jump for glee at anything new star trek series-wise (well at first anyway, they still gotta make a good show, but you know what i mean).

although i hope they set it after the last ng movie, or even maybe jean-luc in the academy

Looks like it will be very interesting... can't wait until it comes out!

I am a bit sad they didn't do at least one more TNG movie. I was really hoping to see Riker's ship, the USS Titan, on the big screen at least once. At least they have the Star Trek: Titan novels (which are a great read), so it's not a total loss.