Hondo's Bar

I Am Legend

I_am_legend_teaser.jpg

So, a while back, i read the graphic novel of this Richard Matheson novel, and for a post-apocalyptic vamp tale, it was pretty cool - even had the irony about it of good pulp. Just saw the trailer recently for it, looks like the film's getting a december release, and wiki says itll have more to do with The Omega Man (2nd time the book's been adapted to film) then The Last Man on Earth, the other time. I didnt even know it had prior adaptations.

Kinda looking forward to it, and im wondering (based on the trailer, set in NY city) just how much theyre gonna change about it. The other thing is, if it bombs horribly with that tagline, i wonder if that in any way harms the Y: The Last Man movie? Also, as a side-note, La Lindsay's got a cousin (i believe it was?) in this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
Looks interesting. Is he supposed to be the last human in New York, or Earth?

Last man on earth.

The story has actually been filmed twice now - once with Vincent Price (appropriately titled "The Last Man on Earth") and once with Charlton Heston (The Omega Man).

well he was cast as one of the

vampires in the gang

but i guess either the costumes weren't ready by filming time or the costumes looked stupid so they scrapped the whole thing and went with cgi

vampires

. they had the people who were supposed to play the

vampires

record some movements (like andy serkis did for gollum in LotR) and they still paid him the full amount, which was something like $30,000-$40,000 for a couple weeks worth of work.

i just included the spoiler tags because they don't seem to be talking about that aspect of the movie yet in the trailers and such and i didn't want to piss anyone off (although some of you probably already know the plot based on previous theatrical incarnations of the story and the novel).

where were your friends in idiocracy?

I've only seen the scenes they were in. One was in the scene were the main character is on trial for not paying his hospital fees. He was one of the people laughing at him. The other one was directly behind him at the hospital when he was in line to be scanned.

Spoiler tagged 'cause I felt left out, too.

• 1 month later...

Based on the Richard Matheson novel of the same name, it's a story of a post-apocalyptic New York where a crazy virus has killed 90% of the worlds population and turned the rest into a kinda vampire/zombie monster thing. One man seems to be immune to the virus, but has to hide constantly from the monsters cause he ain't immune to being eaten alive! Day time is the only time that he can move around, because of the monster's sensitivity to sunlight so he takes that time to looking for survivors. Will Smith plays the immune doctor also trying to find a cure accompanied by his only companion, an awesome German Sheppard.

Man, was this movie awesome! This shit is bought on DVD!! I kept thinking throughout the movie that this is what War of the Worlds should of been (and I liked that movie). There are scenes that you just sit back and marvel at the scenery and the state of New York 3 years after and there are scenes that you don't even breathe cause they're so intense. Watch this movie already!

I_am_legend_teaser.jpg

It was a pretty good film until nearing the end. I was really disappointed with this movie. It shouldn’t share the same title as the book by R. Matheson, because the film completely misses the mark on what the book was about by changing the ending in such a mediocre way. The 1964 classic “The Last Man on Earth” Starring Vincent Price was so much closer to interpreting the book to film than this current remake and it did it with a remarkable smaller budget. This new movie was so close to getting it right until they veered off and crashed into happy ending town. The cinematography was amazing and the Will Smith was pretty good, granted they had to change the origin of the dog in the story just so he would have something to play off of. Neville became legend to the monsters he hunted. Neville was the bogeyman of the new society that formed from the infected humans. If this was just another post-apocalyptic then it was fine, but if it’s supposed to be “I Am Legend” well it just isn’t. :D

Archived