Hondo's Bar

Metal as a genre

Lorelei

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are...are you me?

Heh, didn't read all the posts. I apologize for being redundant, let's just say you make a good point.

But still I don't think Megadeth is metal. Can't say I have sat and listened to all their albums all the way through but what I have heard doesn't strike me as metal. Plus I had to play that goddamned Symphony of Destruction song on Rock Band (or Guitar hero, they all kinda mesh together after a while) so many times I am sick of them just for that. Ok, I just can't stand Mustaine's voice.

As for Mortiis the band (or man) I like his darkwave albums. His goth/rock/techno doesn't really grab me, I'll just listen to NIN if I want to hear that kind of stuff.

Which reminds me of profound metal lyrics. NIN - Broken, the song "Wish." He won a grammy for it so it must be profound.

True, that's why i'd have the doors above zeppelin or hendrix. just above

Zeppelin songs are 85% guitar solo, 10% obscure Tolkien reference, and 5% Robert Plant cockbulge.

The Doors and Hendrix are in the same boat of "Jim got really high last night and wrote this down, we should put music to this." Granted their out their lyrics combined with good music was what made them so good.

Though honestly the average metal song doesn't need lyrics anymore, it may not have always been but it's now truly degenerated to people screaming loudly and banging instruments against things (Don't believe me, go watch Slipknot) It's become spectacal over substance with a few rare exceptions here and there.

Otherwise just sing about either A) Demons/Abortions, B) Anything that could be seen on the side of a fantasy van, C)Slutty women and drinking. Alternatively you can just crank your amps up to 11 (cause it's louder than 10) and groan angrilly into the microphone whilst interjecting with "Murder" or "Suicide" here and there.

Which reminds me of profound metal lyrics. NIN - Broken, the song "Wish." He won a grammy for it so it must be profound.

aw, you metal kids gotta clown on industrial. ya'll got jokes!

if you're gonna shine on reznor, do so on his recent stuff, broken was quite solid for an album named broken.

ps :welcome:

But still I don't think Megadeth is metal. Can't say I have sat and listened to all their albums all the way through but what I have heard doesn't strike me as metal.

Well, anyone who claims to know metal and doesn't know Rust in Peace really has no business speaking on the subject to begin with, IMO.

And hey, I don't like Mustaine's voice much either, honestly, though I'll still take his singing over most death metal vocalists any day of the week.

I like NIN, well everything up to The Fragile, just someone asked for a well known band and some lyrics, so i assumed a culturally agreed upon definition of what was good would suffice as justification.

But back to Megadeth and how bad they are. I gotta say if you defend Megadeth as metal you don't know what you're talking about, IMO. It's all a matter of opinion though, I just think if you're gonna listen to the heavy shit, why not the heaviest shit out there? Why half-ass it and kid yourself with Megadeth or Slipknot or something like them?

But back to Megadeth and how bad they are. I gotta say if you defend Megadeth as metal you don't know what you're talking about, IMO. It's all a matter of opinion though, I just think if you're gonna listen to the heavy shit, why not the heaviest shit out there? Why half-ass it and kid yourself with Megadeth or Slipknot or something like them?

Anyone who thinks Megadeth isn't metal is retarded and knows shit about the genre, period. Go to ANY metal discussion forum and say Rust in Peace or Peace Sells aren't metal, you'll be laughed off the board, deservedly so. They're far from one of my favorite bands(hell, they aren't anywhere near one of my favorite thrash bands), but they ARE metal, like em or not.

And why not listen to the "heaviest shit out there"? Cause well, a lot of it is fucking garbage, that's why. Shitty music combined with shitty vocals and shitty lyrics, in other words, completely worthless.

Anyone who thinks Megadeth isn't metal is retarded and knows shit about the genre, period. Go to ANY metal discussion forum and say Rust in Peace or Peace Sells aren't metal, you'll be laughed off the board, deservedly so. They're far from one of my favorite bands(hell, they aren't anywhere near one of my favorite thrash bands), but they ARE metal, like em or not.

And why not listen to the "heaviest shit out there"? Cause well, a lot of it is fucking garbage, that's why. Shitty music combined with shitty vocals and shitty lyrics, in other words, completely worthless.

So laugh my retarded self off, Megadeth aren't metal to me. It's shitty music, with a shitty singer who can't write for shit, completely worthless. I'll agree a lot of bands heavier than Megadeth are shittier. A lot of them are better though too. I just have a different expectation when listening to metal. Megadeth doesn't fit that.

You can think the world is flat if you want, too, and in both cases you'll still be wrong. Of course, if you CHOOSE to be wrong, I can't stop you, but it doesn't make you any less wrong.

And you can choose to "believe" Megadeth is metal, and us in the know will quietly laugh at your stupidity, and move on to better things in life.

And you can choose to "believe" Megadeth is metal, and us in the know will quietly laugh at your stupidity, and move on to better things in life.

Those "in the know" are already laughing their ass off about someone claiming Megadeth isn't metal, and I'll be glad to point you to about a dozen metal forums and newsgroups where you can go ask for confirmation on that.

Now that said, I know more about metal than you likely ever will, so please, when you've learned a little more, get back to me then maybe you can talk as my equal on this subject. I don't claim to be an expert on most musical styles, but when it comes to metal, I know my shit, and yes, I AM an expert on the topic. I've got thousands of metal CDs from 2 dozen different countries, I ran a metal radio show for a couple years, I've had reviews posted on band websites and on my own, I've gotten invitations to local shows based on my work promoting metal online, I've converted many non-metal fans to metal fans, so please, don't talk to me about those "in the know", cause I guarantee you, I know far more of them than you do.

It's so cute when people assume they're more "with it" than people they have practically no knowledge of.

Careful DKS01, your arrogance is showing.

And why get so heated about something that's clearly a matter of personal opinion? Would Megadeth be filed in the "metal" section of a music store? Sure. But it would seem to me though that to most "hardcore" metal fans, Megadeth is considered pretty weak shit.

But don't mind me, by all means keep sparring.

It's so cute when people assume they're more "with it" than people they have practically no knowledge of.

Careful DKS01, your arrogance is showing.

And why get so heated about something that's clearly a matter of personal opinion? Would Megadeth be filed in the "metal" section of a music store? Sure. But it would seem to me though that to most "hardcore" metal fans, Megadeth is considered pretty weak shit.

A huge part of my circle of friends are "hardcore metal fans", and that circle includes multiple metal musicians. And ALL of them consider Megadeth metal. Some of em worship em, some of em HATE Megadeth, some of them just don't care about them either way, some of em like the music but hate Dave's vocals. Some of them are way into thrash, some of em love power metal, some of them lean towards the black and death metal side of the fence. But one thing they will all agree on is that Megadeth certainly IS metal, they might not agree on the quality of it(which isn't the subject for debate either, they're not one of my favorite bands, they're not even one of my favorite thrash bands) but they'll still agree anyone saying they aren't metal(and aren't specifically talking about Risk only) is talking out their ass. And yes, this even includes the death and black metal fans, whose music tastes leans towards stuff a lot heavier than anything Mustaine and company have put out.

As for me being arrogant, sure, I won't deny it, cause on this subject, I know my shit. Argue with me about the nuances of rap, and hey, I'll forfeit before it even starts. Argue with me about country, and while I do know a fair bit about the subject, I won't claim to be an authority. But metal? No way, metal is my one BIG thing, I've been involved in the scene for years and go WAY beyond the average person when it comes to promoting and supporting my kinda music. Beyond that, I don't just give music a casual listen and that's that, I read and pay attention to the lyrics(even the growly deathy and black metal bands I listen to, I might not understand what they're saying, but I'll try my best to find out, same with my bands that don't sing in English, I try and find translations), I read up on the history of the genre and of the specific bands, I devote a probably SCARY amount of my time and money(I wasn't exaggerating when I said I owned thousands of metal CDs, and they're all real copies, not burned ones) to metal in ALL it's forms(from power metal and glam to thrash to doom to black and death to "nu-metal/metalcore", I've got it). So yes, I may be arrogant, but on this topic, I've earned it, and I can point you to NUMEROUS metal forums(filled with yes, "hardcore metal fans") and newsgroups filled with people who will back up my claims.

I have millions of Metal Cd's from over 500 countries, including some that no longer exist and a few that are from the future. I was roommates with Marconi and we invented Radio together. I've had reviews posted on the inside cover of many metal albums, and my own. I've gotten invitations to meet many rulers based on my metal expertise and I was once BEGGED to run Sweden. I've converted many Polka and Mariachi fans to metal. I devote so much time to the study of metal that I've hired dozens of migrant workers to listen and report their findings back to me. I have thousands of friends that are metal musicians and they all insist that Megadeth isn't metal.

So, you know, just a little bit better. *twirls hair on finger*

I love the internet. Prove me wrong folks, prove me wrong.

But back to Megadeth and how bad they are. I gotta say if you defend Megadeth as metal you don't know what you're talking about, IMO.

I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks this band isn't Metal is an idiot

It's all a matter of opinion though,

No, it's not. Megadeth are Metal, Muddy Waters is Blues, Beethoven is Classical. These are facts

I just think if you're gonna listen to the heavy shit, why not the heaviest shit out there? Why half-ass it and kid yourself with Megadeth or Slipknot or something like them?

I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer

Edited by alive she cried

For the record real quick:

I have no business arguing in this thread. My favorite metal band is Dethklok and I know nothing of Megadeth. That doesn't lend me much credibility. I was just getting a quick laugh. As you were. I will say this though, if I was just meeting someone and the conversation went like this-

"What kind of music do you like?"

"Metal dude, all the way."

"Right on, what's your favorite band?"

"Megadeth"

I would snicker. No offense.

I have millions of Metal Cd's from over 500 countries, including some that no longer exist and a few that are from the future. I was roommates with Marconi and we invented Radio together. I've had reviews posted on the inside cover of many metal albums, and my own. I've gotten invitations to meet many rulers based on my metal expertise and I was once BEGGED to run Sweden. I've converted many Polka and Mariachi fans to metal. I devote so much time to the study of metal that I've hired dozens of migrant workers to listen and report their findings back to me. I have thousands of friends that are metal musicians and they all insist that Megadeth isn't metal.

So, you know, just a little bit better. *twirls hair on finger*

I love the internet. Prove me wrong folks, prove me wrong.

The difference is, I can back up every claim I've made, if you want me to.

And OOC, if as you say you don't even know Megadeth, why would you snicker at them being someone's favorite metal band?

I'm sure you've been truthful in everything you've said. I don't think you're a liar and I didn't mean to imply as much. I DO think it's jumping the gun to think that Mortiis isn't just as learned. No matter how much you know something, there is always someone that knows more, no matter how good, someone is better. It's naive to think otherwise and that kind of shit is gonna bite you in the ass. The arrogance on display was almost face/palm worthy. Apparently some very sensitive nerves have been touched with the whole Megadeth subject. I'm not unaware of Megadeth, they've just never appealed to me so I certainly can't cite their entire catalog. It's a matter of personal taste and it shouldn't threaten anyone.

I like a lot of music, metal aint at the top of the list. I saw the passion on display and it was funny to me. I had to say something.

And OOC, if as you say you don't even know Megadeth, why would you snicker at them being someone's favorite metal band?

Short answer? I guess I'm just a jerk.

Long answer: if someone professes that they are really into metal and Megadeth is the best they can come up with as an example, I'm going to doubt their conviction. It's how I feel man, it's not up for debate. I'm not the dude saying they aren't metal, but I can certainly sympathize and see what he's saying.

I don't think that NIN is metal. I love them dearly (and The Fragile is awesome, fuck you Mort), but outside of Broken I wouldn't listen to it and think "this is metal". It's not debatable, it's my opinion.

I really don't want anything to do with this, I can just picture people furiously typing in the throes of some righteous holy rage because someone dared to say Megadeth isn't metal. That aint me. I'm not passionate about this in the least. I'm not a fan of stuffing something in a genre in the first place.

Alive She Cried and myself both agree that I have no business arguing in this board, so lets not incite me to do that.

Godspeed guys.

Long answer: if someone professes that they are really into metal and Megadeth is the best they can come up with as an example, I'm going to doubt their conviction. It's how I feel man, it's not up for debate. I'm not the dude saying they aren't metal, but I can certainly sympathize and see what he's saying.

You don't wish to respond, fine, but I'm still at a loss for the logic in this statement. Because someone likes Megadeth more than other metal bands they somehow have less conviction to the genre than, well, what bands WOULD show conviction, in your eyes? I'm legitimately curious, here, more than anything. Admittedly, I'd personally find it an odd choice(my first reaction would be something like "Megadeth? Seriously?"), but my favorite metal band(if forced to pick just one) would probably be Savatage, so I guess I can't fault someone else for having an odd choice as a favorite metal band. I'm just trying to determine why picking Megadeth as a favorite metal band would be any better or worse in terms of their "conviction" than going with some other "classic" band like Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, or Metallica, or on the other end of the scale, going for some mega obscure band like Druid, Trampled Underfoot, or Saint Daemon.

And as an aside, you're right, NIN aren't metal, they're industrial. A related, albeit seperate genre.

And yes, I AM passionate when it comes to my music, as I've said, a huge part of my time and my finances have gone to supporting it. I like movies, I like gaming, I like reading, yet I could live without all those things...I cannot however live without music. Outside of family and friends, music is my one real love and metal in particular is my music of choice, so yeah, it means a lot to me, and yes, I will get very into any discussion regarding my music. Just how I am, and how I've always been.

Edited by DKS01

And yes, I AM passionate when it comes to my music, as I've said, a huge part of my time and my finances have gone to supporting it. I like movies, I like gaming, I like reading, yet I could live without all those things...I cannot however live without music. Outside of family and friends, music is my one real love and metal in particular is my music of choice, so yeah, it means a lot to me, and yes, I will get very into any discussion regarding my music. Just how I am, and how I've always been.

I completely agree with this.

Don't use other people to justify our own opinions...religions do that a lot, and with billions of followers they can't be wrong either huh?? I've got friends, random people I meet at shows and people that hate me that would agree Megadeth is nothing more than hard rock. Fuck them, I personally don't think Megadeth are metal and that is what matters. Megadeth are on tour with Testament (metal to the extreme \m/ ) and Judas Priest. I know a lot of metal bands, not one of them has toured with bands of such high stature within the metal world. /sarcasm

And you all keep refering to Rust in Peace like it is some metal god. Maybe back in 1990 when Anthrax and Queensryche were the bad boys on the block it was metal. But like everything else metal has evolved and Megadeth are no longer a part of it. So explain to me HOW Megadeth are metal?

Also didn't Jethro Tull get a fuckin grammy for metal....they MUST BE TOO!

Alive She Cried...I was gonna post some vids in response to you but I can't figure out how to get them to show on the post so another time....

Edited by Mortiis558

And you all keep refering to Rust in Peace like it is some metal god. Maybe back in 1990 when Anthrax and Queensryche were the bad boys on the block it was metal. But like everything else metal has evolved and Megadeth are no longer a part of it. So explain to me HOW Megadeth are metal?

Because metal has evolved the old metal bands are no longer metal? :sarcasm:

Would you consider Sabbath or Metallica metal?

You're an idiot

Alive She Cried...I was gonna post some vids in response to you but I can't figure out how to get them to show on the post so another time....

Go to the youtube video you want, the right side has Embeded: you copy and paste that code

Paste it into the reply box,underneath that you'll see

Post Options then a scroll box , select HTML ON then select auto.

Metal has evolved, but that does not mean the older bands are not metal just because some new asshole tuned his guitar down lower and decided instead of singing he'd go BLARRRAGRGVGHWRVGHR throughout his material champ. How is Megadeth metal? Because that's what they fucking PLAY, dumbass. Yes, Tull got a Grammy, but even THEY said from the start they didn't deserve to win a "metal" grammy, and no metal fan agreed with their winning it either, pretty much the ONLY people who agreed with that decision was the award's committee themselves, so not sure what point you're making there.

And you have to have 100 posts to post HTML, otherwise you have to ask an admin to do it.

Metal has evolved, but that does not mean the older bands are not metal just because some new asshole tuned his guitar down lower and decided instead of singing he'd go BLARRRAGRGVGHWRVGHR throughout his material champ. How is Megadeth metal? Because that's what they fucking PLAY, dumbass. Yes, Tull got a Grammy, but even THEY said from the start they didn't deserve to win a "metal" grammy, and no metal fan agreed with their winning it either, pretty much the ONLY people who agreed with that decision was the award's committee themselves, so not sure what point you're making there.And you have to have 100 posts to post HTML, otherwise you have to ask an admin to do it.
Megadeth never was, nor ever will be metal. They lack the soul to be a metal band. It's heartless, commercial bullshit. If you can't see this then there is no help for you. I don't give two shits what popular opinion has decided, or what the consensus of all the people on every message board ever have come to. Megadeth isn't metal. If that is what metal ever was then I guess I never listened to metal....thankfully so. I bet you like Dream Theater and Trivium too.On a side note, thanks for the info about HTML.