Hondo's Bar

Recipes

Aartemys

Aarty's Rum Balls

Ingredients

1 Box of vanilla wafers - crumbled finely

1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, divided

1/2 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped fine (optional)

1/2 cup dark rum

1/4 cup dark corn syrup

2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

In a large bowl combine wafer crumbs, 1 cup confectioners sugar, walnuts, rum, corn syrup, butter and knead together. Roll into 1 inch balls and then into remaining confectioners' sugar. Arrange rum balls on a baking sheet, cover well with plastic wrap and let sit for 48 hours.

**I've also made this recipe substituting the rum with Amaretto and also with Patron XO, which is a coffee liquor (I rolled those balls in cocoa powder...nice contrast). I also roll the balls in powdered sugar once I am ready to serve them, since the dough sucks up most of the powder as it sits...

Wow...hmm, I'm the one that does the all the cooking at gatherings so...you know, I don't make anything special and certainly nothing that's gonna be passed down from generation to generation.

I make a pretty good fruit salad though. No cool whip, real whipped cream. Apples and bananas in addition to fruit cocktail. No marshmallows.

• 2 months later...

Here's the meal I cooked last night for Valentine's Day. As a side dish I made instant mashed taters (time constraints & whatnot) & for dessert, Princess Meia made Devil's food cake with chocolate frosting and a chocolate pudding middle with caramel chips...

Quickie Beef Wellington

Extra-virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon butter

2 green onions, chopped

1/2 pound baby shitake mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped in food processor

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons dry cooking sherry, approx. 2 splashes

8 tournedos of beef filet mignon, 1-inch thick

6 ounces mousse pate (I used Duck Liver Pate Mousse w/ truffles)

2 sheets frozen prepared puff pastry, 11 by 17, defrosted

1 egg, beaten with a splash of water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add oil, butter, onions and chopped mushrooms. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper and saute 5 minutes. Add sherry to the mushrooms and let the liquid evaporate. Remove mushrooms from the heat.

In a nonstick skillet over high heat, sear meat 2 minutes on each side in a drizzle of oil. Remove skillet from the heat and season meat with salt and pepper.

Cut mousse into 8 pieces, .75 ounce each. Spread each puff pastry sheet out on to a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Quarter the dough with a sharp knife. Roll each piece of dough into a 10 by 6-inch rectangle. On each rectangle of dough, place 1/4 of the cooked mushrooms. Top mushrooms with pate and 1 tournedo of beef. Wrap dough up and over the meat.

Seal the dough with egg wash and trim excess. Use leftover dough bits to make decorative garnishes for the tops of your Wellingtons. Turn the wrapped Wellingtons over and cover with egg wash using a pastry brush. Affix dough garnishes with egg wash. I used the leftover dough to make the initial of the person I was cooking for. Another simple decoration, roll dough bits into a long, thin spaghetti like string and make swirls on each Wellington.

Bake beef Wellingtons 17 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve.

• 6 months later...

Here are two I made this week...

Slow-Cooker Curry Chicken w/ Rice

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thghs, quartered (can be substituted with chicken breast)

1 onion, chopped

3 red potatoes, peeled, cubed

1 apple, chopped

2 tbsp. curry powder

1 can (14oz) chicken broth

1 can (14oz) pineapple chunks, drained

1 green pepper, chopped

2 cups uncooked instant rice

Place meat in slow cooker; top with onions, potatoes, apple, curry powder and chicken broth. Cover with lid.

Cook on LOW setting for 8 to 10 hours (or on HIGH for 5 hours).

Stir in instant rice, pineapple & green pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 20 minutes. Serves 6.

Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Burritos

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thghs, quartered (can be substituted with chicken breast)

1 onion, chopped

1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, drained

2 pkg. (1-1/4 oz. each) Taco Bell Home Originals Taco Seasoning Mix

1 can (12oz) corn, drained

1 can (12oz) black beans, drained

1 red pepper, sliced

2 cups uncooked instant rice

1 tub (8oz) sour cream

1 pk. shredded cheese

1 Pk. Tortillas

Place meat in slow cooker; top with onions, tomato & seasoning mix. Cover with lid.

Cook on LOW setting for 8 to 10 hours (or on HIGH for 5 hours).

Stir in instant rice, corn, black beans & red pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 20 minutes.

Place mixture on tortilla; add sour cream and shredded cheese.

• 2 weeks later...

heres one i just made. best peach cobbler evar!

one cup flour

one cup sugar

one cup water

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp baking powder

one stick butter melted

mix all together and pour in a 9x13 casserole dish

one can peaches in juice (not in syrup)

1/2 cup sugar

cinnamon to taste

pour in pan over the rest.

sprinkle with xinnamon

cook at 400 degrees for 45 min

Lamb Shoulders.

Season 8 lamb shoulders in Aromat Yellow and Red (sucks to be you america)

Chop one red onion and sprinkle over the 8 lamb shoulders.

Cook in oven for 25 minutes at 200 celcius (or random number f.)

5 minutes from the end chop another onion and sprinkle over the shoulders.

Serve on a bed of rice.

Fuckin delish with a beer.

• 1 year later...

i just made this for doug (his favorite):

key lime pie

Crust

16 graham crackers, crushed

3 tablespoons sugar

1 cube (1/4 lb) margarine or butter

Pie

4 large or extra large egg yolks

1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk

1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (approximately 12 Key limes)

2 teaspoons grated lime peel, green portion only

Whipping Cream For Garnish (Optional)

1/2 cup whipping cream

2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Crust:

Mix the ingredients and press them into a 9" pie plate. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 10 - 12 minutes until lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool.

Pie Filling

Use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow, don't over mix. Turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk. Turn speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. Once the juice is incorporated add the other half of the juice and the zest, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds). Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350F for 12 minutes to set the yolks and kill any salmonella in the eggs.

Serving

If you are using the whipping cream garnish, prepare the cream. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

its sooooo gooooood. just invest in a good lime juicer. makes squeezing a half a cup of lime juice so much easier. you also dont have to use key limes. persian limes work fine, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another of dougs favorites and super easy. i stole it from rachael rays 30 min meals.

STOMBOLI

pilsbury pizza crust

mozzerella cheese (deli slices)

asiago or provalone (deli slices)

pepperoni slices

canadian bacon or prochutto (i dont know how to spell any of this itallian stuff, but you know what i mean)

olive oil

garlic, rosemary, basil or whatever seasonings you prefer

maranara sauce (i just use prego)

roll pizza dough out and cut into fourths. stretch each quarter of dough out and put down a layer of cheese. layer on meat, then more cheese, then meat. you can also put on a final layer of veggies (i put onion and bell pepper) on top. take one corner of dough and roll the whole thing up (like you roll the instant cresant rolls) take each end and pinch closed so the cheese doesnt escape. place on cookie sheet and brush tops with olive oil then season. bake at the temperature that the pizza dough directions state until browned. warm maranara sauce and serve on the side. makes four stromboli.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this recipe is a delicious cheesy casserole that is super simple. its been in my family forever.

CORN CASSEROLE

two cans corn

8 oz cream cheese

i small can chopped green chiles (you can also add diced jalapeno if you like something spicier)

dash tabasco sauce

grated cheddar cheese.

1/2 stick butter (or oleo as my great aunt calls it. lol)

drain corn and chiles. melt cream cheese and butter on the stove. add corn, chiles, and tabasco sauce and mix well. pour into casserole dish and top with grated cheddar. bake at 350 until cheese melts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one last one for today. my great uncle Norm makes this pie and gave me the recipe. its also a family favorite

PEANUTBUTTER PIE

beat together 4 heaping tablespoons peanut butter and 8 oz cream cheese until creamy. beat in one cup confectioner sugar and i teaspoon vanilla. fold in 8 oz of cool whip. pour into graham cracker crust (or chocolate crumb crust) and chill.

all super easy and really good.

hey, so...id bothered arnah about this and gotten some ideas, anyone else wanna teach me how to use a slow cooker? i got meat, chicken etc and id really just like to be able to set it up when i get up and have dinner ready & awesome later on without too much maintenance, just dont know how to do so yet.

hey, so...id bothered arnah about this and gotten some ideas, anyone else wanna teach me how to use a slow cooker? i got meat, chicken etc and id really just like to be able to set it up when i get up and have dinner ready & awesome later on without too much maintenance, just dont know how to do so yet.

The thing about using a slow cooker is that its incredibly easy and idiot proof. When i make roast i just put a 3 lb. roast, sprinkled with seasoning salt and salt and pepper to taste. 4 cups of water, baby carrots and onions. Then you have to let it cook for about 8 to 9 hours and you will have the most tender and delicious roast you've ever had in your life.

I agree with Special K...easy peasy...

I have an entire slow-cooker recipe book I can send you if you PM me your new address...

This article might help...

• 10 months later...

special K - thanks, gonna try that soon. ive not even cooked a roast yet.

aarty - whaaaaaaaaaaaat PMing you my address now. you ladies are awesome.

Hrm, I never mailed you that cookbook, right? Yep...still in storage, lol...

Oh well, someday!

Meatless Chili

1 pkg MorningStar Farms® Meal Starters™ Grillers® Recipe Crumbles™

1 pkg Taco Seasoning

1 clove garlic (i put garlic in EVERYTHING!)

1 can beans (I used northern beans but you can use black or red or whatevs)

1 can corn

1 tbsp Olive oil

1/4 c salsa

In a pot (I use a 2qt French Oven from Le Creuset) heat the olive oil and garlic. Once the garlic has browned and is aromatic, add the crumbles. Stir continuously to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add corn, beans, salsa & package of taco seasoning. Mix well and let heat through. Viola! Serves 4.

**Was not spicy at all since I used mild taco seasoning and mild salsa. Add hot sauce or hot salsa to kick it up a notch!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I made wonton the other night! They came out great, a little time consuming but worth it. Here goes:

1 package wonton skins --you can make your own dough with flour and water, but grocery store wonton skins are just fine

1/2 lb ground pork

1 bunch watercress, leeks or spinach you pick

1 TBS minced garlic

1 tsp minced ginger

1 pinch red pepper flakes

1 pinch five-spice powder

soy sauce

rice wine

sesame oil

Mix the pork, garlic, ginger and chili flakes. Apply soy sauce and rice wine to your tastes. Saute the pork until browned. (It does not have to be fully cooked as there is another cooking step that will complete it.) Place in bowl and set aside until cool. Add the chopped watercress and drizzle with sesame oil. Form mixture into small meatballs. PLace in center of square shaped wonton skin. Wet edges and fold over in to triangle. Wet both ands and pull together. Steam or fry until translucent or golden brown. Serve with a dipping sauce of soy sauce, rice vinegar, minced garlic, ginger and green onion. Yum!

• 3 months later...