Hondo's Bar

Sweeney Todd

TulipO

This was amazing. If you haven't seen it yet check it out. Depp as usual was perfect. He seriously holds his own as the only American lead. His accent never wavers, and christ the man can sing! Furthermore, Sasha Baron Cohen has a brief but important role. He, also can sing unbelieveably well. Also, although most of his scenes are comedic, he also has a great dramatic scene that really proves his acting chops. Helena Bonham Carter is incredible as well.

Interestingly, a director friend I know bought the rights before the film came out, so in a few months our theater company will be performing this show up in Portland, OR. It was a clever business move as no doubt the hopeful popularity of the film will boost our ticket sales and set us up with a good bankroll heading in to summer. I only hope I can compare with Helena Bonham Carter. I like her interpretation of Mrs. Lovett a lot more than Angela Lansbury (too comedic) or Pati LuPone (of Life Goes on Fame--too melodramatic) Carter brings a motherly, girlish, yet sinister and sultry element to the role. Seriously, even if you're not that in to musicals, this is a fantastic show, with plenty of gore for the gory and romance for the romantic. See it!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understand people who dislike musicals on principle. It's a genre and like any other genre, there are good movies and bad movies in it. There's no reason to discount it right away. After all movies=good and music=good so what's wrong with putting them together? People can watch movies loaded with so many crappy pop songs it becomes a glorified music video, but the minute one of those characters actually starts singing, they can't take it. To me it's always just seemed like some guy's way of saying "look how desperately heterosexual I am!" Now, I''m sure no one here is so insecure about their sexuality, I'm just sayin'.

Sweeney Todd's a great movie. It just also happens to be a musical.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, The Producers, Chicago, Tommy, Fiddler on the Roof, and Cannibal the Musical, to name a few.

The only one of them i've liked was fiddler on the roof and that was purely because i saw it after playing an orchestral arrangement of it the night before...

Musicals have never been my thing..

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, The Producers, Chicago, Tommy, Fiddler on the Roof, and Cannibal the Musical, to name a few.

Moulin Rouge (one of my top 20 films of all time), Singing In The Rain, The Wizard of Oz, The King and I, The Sound of Music, Rocky Horror Picture Show, West Side Story, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Blues Brothers, Little Shop of Horrors....

I didn't care for it, but alot of people seem to think grease is one of the greatest films ever made.

Moulin Rouge (one of my top 20 films of all time), The Wizard of Oz, The King and I, The Sound of Music, Rocky Horror Picture Show, West Side Story, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate FactoryLittle Shop of Horrors....

I didn't care for it, but alot of people seem to think grease is one of the greatest films ever made.

Grease, Grease II, Flower Drum Song, The Gang's All Here...alot of old movies. Musicals are wonderful, entertaining...

Saw it last night with Aarty! Awesome flick! We're buying it when it comes out.

A little shave... Of'a de face!

Cohen(AKA Borat) was great in it! Very nice I like!

He's been singing that song non-stop, lol...

I loved, loved, loved this movie! I think we're going to go see it again this weekend with The Chancellor & my mom.

The montage of Mrs. Lovett dreaming of their future and the way Todd never even flinched or smiled. I LOVED IT! When they danced around the room, him with his razor and her with the meat cleaver...so macabre! Bloody at its best...

This is going into my Top 10 of movie faves...

Besides...Johnny Depp is hotttt!!! <3 :FHD:

Archived