Hondo's Bar

Writers' Strike is Officially Over!

Acalis

Full article can be found here.

STRIKE OVER: Hollywood Back To Work!

UPDATE: Here's what the moguls have to say:

This is a day of relief and optimism for everyone in the entertainment industry. We can now all get back to work, with the assurance that we have concluded two groundbreaking labor agreements - with our directors and our writers -- that establish a partnership through which our business can grow and prosper in the new digital age. The strike has been extraordinarily difficult for all of us, but the hardest hit of all have been the many thousands of businesses, workers and families that are economically dependent on our industry. We hope now to focus our collective efforts on what this industry does best - writers, directors, actors, production crews, and entertainment companies working together to deliver great content to our worldwide audiences.

Peter Chernin, Chairman and CEO, the Fox Group

Brad Grey, Chairman & CEO, Paramount Pictures Corp.

Robert A. Iger, President & CEO, The Walt Disney Company

Michael Lynton, Chairman & CEO, Sony Pictures Entertainment

Barry M. Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros.

Leslie Moonves, President & CEO, CBS Corp.

Harry Sloan, Chairman & CEO, MGM

Jeff Zucker, President & CEO, NBC Universal

Here's the official WGA announcement to striking writers:

On Tuesday, members of the Writers Guilds East and West voted by a 92.5% margin to lift the restraining order that was invoked on November 5th. The strike is over.

Writing can resume immediately. If you were employed when the strike began, you should plan to report to work on Wednesday. If you're not employed at an office or other work site, call or e-mail your employer that you are resuming work. If you have been told not to report to work or resume your services, we recommend that you still notify your employer in writing of your availability to do so. Questions concerning return-to-work issues should be directed to the WGAW legal department or the WGAE’s assistant executive director.

The decision to begin this strike was not taken lightly and was only made after no other reasonable alternative was possible. We are profoundly aware of the economic loss these fourteen weeks have created not only for our members but so many other colleagues who work in the television and motion picture industries. Nonetheless, with the establishment of the WGA jurisdiction over new media and residual formulas based on distributor’s gross revenue (among other gains) we are confident that the results are a significant achievement not only for ourselves but the entire creative community, now and in the future.

We hope to build upon the extraordinary energy, ingenuity, and solidarity that were generated by your hard work during the strike.

Over the next weeks and months, we will be in touch with you to discuss and develop ways we can use our unprecedented unity to make our two guilds stronger and more effective than ever.

Now that the strike has ended, there remains the vote to ratify the new contract. Ballots and information on the new deal, both pro and con, will be mailed to you shortly. You will be able to return those ballots via mail or at a membership meeting to be held Monday, February 25th, 2008, at times and locations to be determined.

Thank you for making it possible. As ever, we are all in this together.

Best,

Patric M. Verrone

President, WGAW

Michael Winship

President, WGAE

Posted by Nikki Finke on Tuesday, Feb 12th, 2008 at 04:24PM

At least Prison Break will be back at some stage. They've run out of episodes so hopefully they'll be working overtime to shoot more. Or I will kill them...

I should really watch this show as I can't see how it couldn't be but a 2-season deal. Unless they're ripping off The Fugitive.

any news on when they'll begin airing new Scrub episodes? it's the last bloody season

From what I've heard thus far: "Four pre-strike episodes remain. Four additional episodes will likely be shot; unclear whether they'll air on NBC or go straight to DVD."

From the article i was linked to from Shortpacked this morning, ABC is helping them get through it but it's unclear whether NBC will show them. So we'll either be seeing the rest of the season on ABC, NBC, or DVD but it's unclear what it is now.

And if I'm lucky maybe they'll make more clone high episodes after that. I'm not giving up!

From Wikipedia's Scrubs page:

Due to the possibility of no final episode of Scrubs being produced Bill Lawrence has assured the Scrubs fanbase that he will use all his leverage to end the show properly. He has suggested various solutions including a straight-to-DVD release of the final episode, asking NBC to extend Scrubs into the 2008-2009 television season effectively creating an 8th season or a television movie. At a farewell panel session at the Paley Center for Media, Lawrence said he will definitely not leave any loose ends and he will make sure the episodes are produced, most likely for DVD

On February 11 it was announced that the Writer's Strike would be coming to an end and Bill Lawrence subsequently announced that the final episodes of Scrubs would be produced, although he is currently unsure where or how they will be distributed.

I should really watch this show as I can't see how it couldn't be but a 2-season deal. Unless they're ripping off The Fugitive.

Trust me it should have been two seasons. Kind of like lost should have ended 2 years ago.

And....uh.....Scrubs is ending?? :sad: I didnt hear anything about this till now.

Archived